Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    Rift died for me when everyone became able to tank,dps and heal with same class. Felt like it didn't matter anymore. You missed a Rogue? No worries, other classes can bard. You missed a cleric? No worries, other classes can be aoe healers.
    Felt so useless to play anything because your class were no longer special like before
    That's the biggest boon, for me. Now what calling you roll determines the "flavor" of how you perform a role, not what role you can perform. Allows for far more flexibility, though there are absolutely still callings that are highly valued for certain roles over others (-chon specs being more or less necessary, warriors being AoE healers while mages tend to focus more on tank healing etc.).

You were never really "special" before, either. There were always at least 2 callings for each role. All 4 could dps, 3 could tank, 2 could heal, and 2.5 could support (clerics could sorta fill in as support) right from launch. None were "special" in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's the biggest boon, for me. Now what calling you roll determines the "flavor" of how you perform a role, not what role you can perform. Allows for far more flexibility, though there are absolutely still callings that are highly valued for certain roles over others (-chon specs being more or less necessary, warriors being AoE healers while mages tend to focus more on tank healing etc.).

You were never really "special" before, either. There were always at least 2 callings for each role. All 4 could dps, 3 could tank, 2 could heal, and 2.5 could support (clerics could sorta fill in as support) right from launch. None were "special" in that sense.
    Sadly any raid guild that you look for a spot on wants you to be able to play all 4 styles no matter what. You have them, you should be able to do them all. Yet they dont understand not everyone is cut out to be healers and tanks. That killed it for me.
    Last edited by xuros; 2015-10-06 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Sadly any raid guild that you look for a spot on wants you to be able to play all 4 styles no matter what. You have then you should be able to do them all. Yet they dont understand not everyone is cut out to be healers and tanks. That killed it for me.
    Eh, the pug raids I've joined have mostly been as support/heals and all they ask is that I have a serviceable DPS offspec just in case.

If you're finding guilds that want you to play all four, then there's something wrong. No guild should be reasonably expecting people to perform all four roles, especially the difficulty in trying to keep gear up to par for both tanking/healing (along with the various off-pieces/weapons that are more role specific).

Though that's not Trion's fault, the game is not designed to require players to play all four roles to raid. That's a social issue within the game, independent of the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Eh, the pug raids I've joined have mostly been as support/heals and all they ask is that I have a serviceable DPS offspec just in case.

If you're finding guilds that want you to play all four, then there's something wrong. No guild should be reasonably expecting people to perform all four roles, especially the difficulty in trying to keep gear up to par for both tanking/healing (along with the various off-pieces/weapons that are more role specific).

Though that's not Trion's fault, the game is not designed to require players to play all four roles to raid. That's a social issue within the game, independent of the design.
    I agree with you. Yet the problem IS there though. I was pretty good at my mage and rogue and folks wanted me to be able to heal and tank. Once the new souls were released then the good guilds wanted you to be able to play support, tank, heals, AND dps. That was the reason I had givin up on Rift in a nutshell. The more casual guilds (guilds more relaxed on the specs you play) with times that suit me were very hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    Rift died for me when everyone became able to tank,dps and heal with same class.
    This was always the goal of the classes. They just didn't release it all at once. But the inherent promise of the soul system is that you can be anything.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2015-10-07 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    I agree with you. Yet the problem IS there though. I was pretty good at my mage and rogue and folks wanted me to be able to heal and tank. Once the new souls were released then the good guilds wanted you to be able to play support, tank, heals, AND dps. That was the reason I had givin up on Rift in a nutshell. The more casual guilds (guilds more relaxed on the specs you play) with times that suit me were very hard to find.
    In guilds I was in (everything from regular guilds through to Region/World 1st guilds) the expectation was always there that people were capable of fulfilling their off-roles if it was necessary. Actually having to do it was extremely uncommon however. Just because your DPS Rogues can tank, doesn't mean you suddenly make them tank while your regular tank goes and heals. It was always a fill-in for an emergency or on farm when people wanted a chance to try something different.

I recruited for quite a while when we pushed for World top 10 and then 1st kills and I always made it clear we wanted flexibile, adaptable players who could quite literally do anything. It didn't mean they were ever used that way, but it gave us options if we needed an unusual strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This was always the goal of there classes. They just didn't release it all at once. But the inherent promise of the soul system is that you can be anything.
    Agreed. I always saw it as a positive, being able to play the role you wanted within the playstyle of the class you enjoyed.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 2015-10-07 at 01:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're still sitting on the fence about buying the Primalist calling or aren't quite sure what each soul can do, well known YouTuber Grim from GrimGaming has put together this video guide