Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account

Jailbroken Firestick - Legal or Not to Stream Pay-Services in the US

I figured I would post this here since there's a wide variety of people who view these forums and I might get a better understanding (and it may help others too).
    Someone is trying to sell my a jailbroken Firestick and they claim I will be able to watch cable TV and NFL Package (cable sub fee) and PayPerViews (per view fee) without actually purchasing them.
    Now, while I know that jailbreaking your own properly is fine (phones were a big deal until last year I believe, when it was ruled that you can do this to your phone if you own it, and the Firestick itself would be yours), what you do with it after may not fall into legal territory.

Their claim is that it is legal to stream and that's what the Firestick does, but I kinda feel like it goes against the rules of the services themselves, like how PPVs always have the illegal distribution and viewership warnings and such.
    Seems shady to me, but I don't know enough to go on.

So, that being said, is it legal to use a jailbroken Firestick to watch things like cable TV, PPV, and other services that typically require payment, but not actually pay for them?
    If you have links to legit info, please provide them.
    My googling hasn't turned up much.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't pay for premium service, and if it isn't paid for otherwise, it's illegal.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Is it legal for you to go to walmart and walk out with a tv without paying for it?

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I get the actual purchase of an item being required, but this is different.
    The way they explained it was that someone, somewhere, is actually paying for the premium service, then simply allowing it to be streamed elsewhere.
    This is where I'm kinda fuzzy on.
    Their example was "if you rent a video, then have 10 people over, all 10 of those people didn't pay to rent it, only you did, but they are allowed to watch it".
    It just seems like the lines blur a bit when you are talking about mass streaming.

- - - Updated - - -

I get that, if I paid for a UFC PPV for example, it was like 50-60 bucks.
    I could have 9 friends over and, regardless of whether or not they chip in, it's still 50-60 bucks.
    The thing is, a place like BW3 will show the fights, but they pay much more than 50-60 bucks because they have multiple devices/TVs showing it (they pay closer to like 3-4 grand, depending on the quantity of devices).
    It seems like, to me, streaming a premium service goes against the rules of those services, I just can't find anything concrete on it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Seems too good to be true, so...

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Is it legal for you to go to walmart and walk out with a tv without paying for it?
    If you're "protesting" yes apparently...
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    I get the actual purchase of an item being required, but this is different.
    The way they explained it was that someone, somewhere, is actually paying for the premium service, then simply allowing it to be streamed elsewhere.
    This is where I'm kinda fuzzy on.
    Their example was "if you rent a video, then have 10 people over, all 10 of those people didn't pay to rent it, only you did, but they are allowed to watch it".
    It just seems like the lines blur a bit when you are talking about mass streaming.

- - - Updated - - -

I get that, if I paid for a UFC PPV for example, it was like 50-60 bucks.
    I could have 9 friends over and, regardless of whether or not they chip in, it's still 50-60 bucks.
    The thing is, a place like BW3 will show the fights, but they pay much more than 50-60 bucks because they have multiple devices/TVs showing it (they pay closer to like 3-4 grand, depending on the quantity of devices).
    It seems like, to me, streaming a premium service goes against the rules of those services, I just can't find anything concrete on it.

What I'm getting here is you don't really want to know if it is legal. Because it isn't. You just want some others to help you justify yourself getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    If you don't pay for premium service, and if it isn't paid for otherwise, it's illegal.
    Probably true but nothing will ever happen to you. I had illegal cable for 20 years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    as long as you don't get caught yeah it is

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    What I'm getting here is you don't really want to know if it is legal. Because it isn't. You just want some others to help you justify yourself getting it.
    I'm not looking for justification at all.
    I simply wanted to get more info on people streaming stuff like this and whether it's legal or not.
    I don't plan to get one either way, but if there are legal implications, I would like to give my friend a heads up so she doesn't get in any potential trouble.
    Her claim, like I commented after, is that the product is, in fact, paid for, then streamed to others.
    I think it's illegal, but I can't find anything so I was hoping the community here might be able to help me out.

Deleted
    I'm not looking for justification at all.
    I simply wanted to get more info on people streaming stuff like this and whether it's legal or not.
    I don't plan to get one either way, but if there are legal implications, I would like to give my friend a heads up so she doesn't get in any potential trouble.
    Her claim, like I commented after, is that the product is, in fact, paid for, then streamed to others.
    I think it's illegal, but I can't find anything so I was hoping the community here might be able to help me out.
    It IS illegal. Not because you're getting it for free, but because the guy who paid for it is streaming it without a license. That guy can invite 10 friends to watch it with him, but he can't record it and send it to his 10 friends, or let his 10 friends watch via a webcam.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    It IS illegal. Not because you're getting it for free, but because the guy who paid for it is streaming it without a license. That guy can invite 10 friends to watch it with him, but he can't record it and send it to his 10 friends, or let his 10 friends watch via a webcam.
    This is what I thought, but she's adamant about it being fine.
    Do you happen to have any links or possess some awesome googling power that I can use as proof of sorts?
    I went through like 5 pages (which is 4 more than I usually do) before it became too abstract.
    Probably searching wrong, I'm sure.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is what I thought, but she's adamant about it being fine.
    Do you happen to have any links or possess some awesome googling power that I can use as proof of sorts?
    I went through like 5 pages (which is 4 more than I usually do) before it became too abstract.
    Probably searching wrong, I'm sure.

Bolded the important parts for you.

http://www.mplc.org/page/about-copyright-law
    About Copyright Law

Motion pictures and other audiovisual works that are available for rental or purchase are intended for personal, private, home use only. If you wish to show the work in any other place, you must have a separate license that specifically authorizes the public performance of that work.
    These rules are detailed in the federal Copyright Act, as amended, Title 17 of the United States Code.

• According to The Copyright Act, only the copyright owner holds the exclusive right, among others, “to perform the copyrighted work publicly.” (Section 106)
    • The rental or purchase of a motion picture or other audiovisual work does not bear the right to perform the copyrighted work publicly. (Section 202)
    • Films may be shown without a separate license in the home to “a normal circle of family and its social acquaintances” (Section 101) because such showings are not considered “public.”
    • Films may be shown without a license to non-profit educational institutions for “face-to-face teaching activities” because the law provides a limited exception for such showings. (Section 110(1))
    • All other public performances of motion pictures and other audiovisual works are illegal unless they have been authorized by license. Even “performances in ‘semipublic’ places such as clubs, lodges, factories, summer camps and schools are ‘public performances’ subject to copyright control.” (Senate Report No. 94-473, page 60; House Report No. 94-1476, page 64).
    • Both for-profit organizations and non-profit institutions must secure a license to show films, regardless of whether an admission fee is charged. (Senate Report No. 94-473, page 59; House Report No.94-1476, page 62)
    Non-compliance with the Copyright Act is considered infringement and carries steep and significant penalties for both the exhibitor and anyone that contributes to the infringing conduct. Unlicensed public performances are federal crimes and can be subject to a $150,000 penalty per exhibition and other penalties (Sections 502-506).

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Bolded the important parts for you.

http://www.mplc.org/page/about-copyright-law
    Awesome. Thanks!

Here's something to ponder for those who claim it's illegal. The Firestick is an Amazon product. The kicker is that the jailbroken Firestick is available for purchase on Amazon. Is it illegal? Would Amazon sell an illegal product that allowed users to circumvent payment for premium services?
    Somehow I doubt they would open themselves up to that sort of litigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wevvie View Post
    Here's something to ponder for those who claim it's illegal. The Firestick is an Amazon product. The kicker is that the jailbroken Firestick is available for purchase on Amazon. Is it illegal? Would Amazon sell an illegal product that allowed users to circumvent payment for premium services?
    Somehow I doubt they would open themselves up to that sort of litigation.
    The product, in and of itself, is not illegal. Using it to obtain a paid service for free is.

This isn't the first time stuff like this is happened. Back in the day people used to put hacked cards into their satellite boxes or whatever and get free premium channels. Totally illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    This isn't the first time stuff like this is happened. Back in the day people used to put hacked cards into their satellite boxes or whatever and get free premium channels. Totally illegal.
    Im cutting my cords and getting a jailbroken firestick because tv costs a lot y0. no real way to track it. so do what you want dude

I looked into it. Its actually legal to jailbreak a firestick. Youre installing KODI. Kodi is a media player and not a media provider. It doesn’t produce its own content; rather, it plays or shows your existing content (like photos and music playlists) and gives you access to third-party online service providers.
    Last edited by idunnowatdo; 2016-05-02 at 10:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    I believe your hands should be cut off. As I feel your opinions prove your not fit to type.
    Gen Off-Topic being hella ruthless

10+ Year Old Account
    It's only illegal if you get caught

We watch movies still in theater and PPV on our jail broken firesstick. The people providing the movies/shows are breakin the law. You are not breaking it by watching them. Same as if you watch a copy right video on YouTube. The person who posted is the one who broke the law, and possibly YouTube for allowing it to happen. But you watching it wasn't against the law.