Deleted

Computer newbie looking to build Gaming Rig £700-900

Hey there folks.

Having grown accustomed to lagg and appreciating 15fps in a raid environment as if it were a blessing i've finally had enough! Been thinking about pushing for a new rig for few months having had a sustainable income however crashing in HFC second boss earlier definitely pushed me towards it faster

So i'm not so tech savvy when it comes to parts etc so excuse me if you ask for a bunch of things of me and I don't really know what you're talking about! - Mind you I will do my research where I can to ease the process along

I would SAY i'm aiming for a mid end rig despite this to ME being a heavy budget haha.

The parts that I WON'T be needing as of now are the OS and the RAM - so excluding peripherals i'd appreciate some help in achieving this goal!

I tried to raid earlier and was probably lucky to hold 5-10fps at *best* and that was on the most minimal of settings! I think if I could run a game like WoW on good-high kinda smoothly (doesn't have to be a clean 60 like some people's standards but I do want to invest a little) then i'd like that!

- So the only "educated (partially)" pick I really made was my obsession with the i5 4690k. Had fantastic reviews, well valued and overall just sounded like it could fit my circumstances and still last a good few years (That and I wanted an intel CPU which was within budget).

Anywho - I used "pcpartpicker" and basically went with value vs reviews - simmered down that I wanted Nvidia/Intel pieces for my main and went from there so here are the parts rundown i've decided and basically suggestions would be appreciated!

---

CPU : Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor.

MOBO: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard.

Storage SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive.

Storage HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive.

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card.

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (I think it's big enough for the GPU 50mm leeway).

PSU: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply.

Cooling: Didn't include for whatever reason wasn't sure what route I was gonna take but probably just fans! Let me know if more than onboard should be expected and how much I should fork. Thanks

--

(Kinda peripheral I guess but necessary!)

CD Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Wireless Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Estimated Cost on-site: £751.63

--

A friend lives by the notion that 24" monitor or nothing :P Will see what I can do about that with £100 I keep skimming for deals on ebuyer hah but again any other suggestions be great

I think i'd like more help with my decision making, the MOBO in particular i'm pretty clueless there and any other open suggestions!

Thanks alot and excuse the wall I do get carried away first post so first impression

Aidan

Edit: I should really mention the title says 700-900 but i'd MUCH rather keep the budget within 800.

Edit 2: Cooling!!
    Last edited by mmocab0d626009; 2015-08-07 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Additional details.

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£178.38 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.74 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Novatech)
    Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£64.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (£249.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 ATX Mid Tower Case (£42.30 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£38.48 @ Novatech)
    Total: £725.43
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-08 13:52 BST+0100

Do you actually need a wireless card?

TP-Link TL-WDN3800 or D-Link DWA-582 (ac)

What do you need a DVD drive for? Anyways it's cheap so pick whatever you want.

For the monitor I recommend an IPS panel, worth the extra £20-30:

Dell P2314H 23"
    Dell P2414H 24"

Deleted
    Wondered why you went for gigabyte over msi! Just curious msi at least for the gpu seemed like the better for the 970 bbut I'm obviously open so just am curious about the choice

Also do I need an ssd that big? Was thinking I'd just keep the OS on it and maybe wow and that's it!

And the card I guess not was thinking for an alternative to using my powerline plugs all day but I could get a usb part.

Thanks for the advice thus far appreciate far appreciate it and other opinions are most definitely welcome!

Deleted
    Nah they're both fine choices. MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, Asus.

For your OS and programs, the smaller SSD is fine but you get double the capacity for just an extra £20 or 100% for 50%. The SSD is great for a lot of games too and you'll quickly run out if you decide to use it for that (you should IMO). I regretted buying the smaller one in the past.

If you want Wi-fi on your PC, by all means go for it. I was just curious. Don't buy USB for wi-fi.