Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

Question Whats the deal with the Sami people?

So I was reading this 4chan post and noticed that Swedes hate the sami the most as apparently all they do is herd reindeer.

So tell me Scandis who post here, is there more to this or is he right?
    Last edited by Ave07; 2015-08-09 at 02:58 PM.

It's similar to the native American plight. They're the indigenous minority of the northern regions of Scandinavia, but their rights are not recognized/protected/enforced.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2015-08-08 at 04:34 PM.

They are white people right? It still blows my mind how people who are the some color are prejudice against each other. It doesn't happen here.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Swedes gotta be hating. 'Cuz that's how they roll.

speaking from a norwegian perspective here, not hated, nor really discriminated against, but there's quite a few stereotypes that has stuck troughout the years.

also, more sami people here live in the big cities than up north where they're "supposed to live"
    and not every sami keeps raindeer.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    They are white people right? It still blows my mind how people who are the some color are prejudice against each other. It doesn't happen here.
    Sami are like the Inuits (Eskimos) of Europe.

How can white people hate white people? Have you ever looked at a map of Europe?

French hate the Germans, the Brits hate the French, the Spanish (Catalonians hate the Castillians, the Castillians hate the Andalusians and the Extremeños, the Basques hate everyone) hate both, the Italians hate the French (well to be honest everyone hates the French, even the French), the Croats, Serbs, Albanians, Kosovars hate each other, the Hungarians hate the Romanians, the Romanians hate the Hungarians, the Slovaks hate the Hungarians, the Poles and Russians hate the Germans, but they hate each other more, the West Ukrainians hate East Ukrainians, the Swedes hate everyone not Swede, the Norwegians bathe in oil and the Fins hate the Russians. Aaaaaaaaaand everyone hates the Jews and the Gypsies. Also the Russians. Except Bulgarians and Serbs, they jack off on Putin's portrait.

Oh yeah...and as of late we all hate those lazy Greeks (and they hate the Germans and their austerity jackboot)...tho we hate the Muslim Turks more, so we will keep the Greeks.

And don't let me get into that cesspit that's great Britain. There's more hate and prejudice per square meter then it's possible to express in writing. Scotts, Welsh, Irish (Republic and Northern, Catholic and Protestant), English (South and North).

Is that clear enough? :P
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2015-08-08 at 04:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think that might have come out a little differently than you intended, care to try again?

In a nutshell, they're not the correct shade of white.
    It's Europe. Most people are white-ish. Yet we're able to tell ourselves apart. Perhaps the most notable notable discrimination is the one separating the slightly more tanned people in the southern countries. But we all run different degrees of hatred against each other; with each country, and within each country.
    The mechanic is the same. But since we don't have many black people, bigots* focus on some other traits to distinguish "the other".

(*): note I'm not characterizing anyone in particular, or any group, as bigoted. Or how widespread it is. Simply noting that it exists.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2015-08-08 at 04:48 PM.

Deleted
    You still don't get it. Stop with the US-centric view on discrimination etc. People pay attention to ethnicity here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Sami are like the Inuits (Eskimos) of Europe.

How can white people hate white people? Have you ever looked at a map of Europe?

French hate the Germans, the Brits hate the French, the Spanish (Catalonians hate the Castillians, the Castillians hate the Andalusians and the Extremeños, the Basques hate everyone) hate both, the Italians hate the French (well to be honest everyone hates the French, even the French), the Croats, Serbs, Albanians, Kosovars hate each other, the Hungarians hate the Romanians, the Romanians hate the Hungarians, the Slovaks hate the Hungarians, the Poles and Russians hate the Germans, but they hate each other more, the West Ukrainians hate East Ukrainians, the Swedes hate everyone not Swede, the Norwegians bathe in oil and the Fins hate the Russians. Aaaaaaaaaand everyone hates the Jews and the Gypsies. Also the Russians. Except Bulgarians and Serbs, they jack off on Putin's portrait.

Oh yeah...and as of late we all hate those lazy Greeks (and they hate the Germans and their austerity jackboot)...tho we hate the Muslim Turks more, so we will keep the Greeks.

And don't let me get into that cesspit that's great Britain. There's more hate and prejudice per square meter then it's possible to express in writing. Scotts, Welsh, Irish (Republic and Northern, Catholic and Protestant), English (South and North).

Is that clear enough? :P
    That is so true. French guy here but living in Norway since 2008. Best summary of EU and why it does not work yet necessary to prevent WWIII, IV, V etc you name it.
    Note: the French hate the Brits more than the Germans as we are actually the same people (the Franks tribe). WWI / WII is peanut compared to centuries of war against the kingdom of England.

In Norway like said earlier there are many stereotype against the Sami yet living among Scandinavians I fell like they respect them now (Norwegian history has been pretty dark in the past though on how they did handle them). Still better than what Australia or the US did i think.
    Last edited by Gratlim; 2015-08-08 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Note: the French hate the Brits more than the Germans as we are actually the same people (the Franks tribe). WWI / WII is peanut compared to centuries of war against the kingdom of England.
    I challenge you to try and draw a European hate chart of who hates who, also adding degrees of hate.

Funny thing tho. Just at the onset of WW2 there was a serious plan to federate the UK and France into a single country, with a single government to fight the Germans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco..._II_.281940.29
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2015-08-08 at 05:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The US isn't the whole world. If that concept blows your mind you likely do not know very much about history in the first place.

Well if 4chan says it's true...
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

15+ Year Old Account
    Never heard of any sami hate here in Norway. Most people don't know much about them though, I think. I am still surprised by some of it myself, and I'm from a region close to their main region.

Hard to say without living in the area where you have to deal with them, same goes with most groups, cant say for sure unless you are there.
    Reminds me of the local gypsys here

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you even read your own sentence before posting that?

White people in USA hated each other for a long time, too. Black people in africa hate other nations and tribes and there is not just one black or white race. You are so far removed from the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    White people in USA hated each other for a long time, too.
    They still do.......
    It already starts with Republicans vs Democrats.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    White people in USA hated each other for a long time, too. Black people in africa hate other nations and tribes and there is not just one black or white race. You are so far removed from the world.
    Think it may have been a bit of sarcasm. Different regions of the country (not to mention economic groups) have different views of each other, even though they are the same race.

7+ Year Old Account
    what is difference between sami and other people where they live???