Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

"Oh you care about pixels in a video game" , "you need help"

"Oh you care about pixels in a video game", "you need help"

It's like saying to a soccer player "Oh you care about kicking a ball into a net", "you need help"

Or saying to a golfer "You care about hitting a ball into a hole", "you need help"

Does this piss anyone else off? If someone said this to me IRL after i've spent half my life playing this game - I'd want to punch them in the face repeatedly.

It's worse when people actually get upvoted for saying it on the forums? It just shows how little people are invested into this game now.

No it just shows how you're too much invested in the game. I play and like this game, but get over it, it's a video game. There's more to life than video games.

How is the look of a video game at all comparable to actions in a sport?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why you should know more about the person than they know about you. That way you can remind them of their smoking, drinking, parting, or whatever habbits they have. I don't smoke but I play WoW and for $15 it costs about two packs and a lot less cancer, plus my place smells better.

depends on the level of drama

at some point rage becomes hilarious

Yeah it's especially hilarious when it's some guy with thousands of forum posts who says it, I'm sure the irony is always lost upon them.

Life is what you make of it. Some people spend life in a library, others in a kung fu monastery. What does the universe give a shit you spend your life in video games? I hate night clubs, and have only been two-three times to one in my entire life, yet according to a lot of people I "lost my youth" not going to them. Everybody and their fucking sheepinions.
    Last edited by Echo419; 2015-08-09 at 03:47 AM.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jensxo View Post

It's like saying to a soccer player "Oh you care about kicking a ball into a net", "you need help"

Or saying to a golfer "You care about hitting a ball into a hole", "you need help"

Does this piss anyone else off? If someone said this to me IRL after i've spent half my life playing this game - I'd want to punch them in the face repeatedly.

It's worse when people actually get upvoted for saying it on the forums? It just shows how little people are invested into this game now.
    its 100% like when someone say WWE scripted/fake why u watch it, while he go watch 2 movies every weekend.

people logic

Some people just haven't had the ability to understand why other people might feel, think, and act in different ways.
    I imagine they weren't vaccinated as a child, ate asbestos etc... hurr hurr

Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix View Post
    No it just shows how you're too much invested in the game. I play and like this game, but get over it, it's a video game. There's more to life than video games.
    But who are you to say that i'm too invested in the game? That's my whole point. I've spent half my life on this game and i've grown up playing it. Just because you haven't - doesn't mean that you can tell me that i've invested too much of my life in it.

Deleted
    Just wondering what would you have Jensxo do with his life?

It's the same as a sports person caring about their football boots/clothes/other random things, it's mainly that video games are not yet accepted widely. The best one is someone who sits watching TV all day while saying to people who play video games to get a life (not aimed at the quoted person).

A lot of people like to sit on their high horses while trying to push others down because they don't conform to certain things that are classed as "OK".

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    How is the look of a video game at all comparable to actions in a sport?
    It's about investment in something. It can relate to anything. My point is that when someone tells me to not be invested in something. Who are they to tell me what i can or can't do with my life. Then to just condescend.

It's almost usually the players who actually don't play this game a lot that say it on the forums.

Deleted
    This means you're assburger

True. Except that people say this because you want people to see great your pixels are in a video game.

If a golfer repeatedly wants me to tell him or her how much they care about hitting a ball into a hole, I would also be telling them they need help.

But you do care about how pretty your pixels are in the video game and how great and different they are other and the long hours you spend in acquiring them. From your other post.

Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    True. Except that people say this because you want people to see great your pixels are in a video game.

If a golfer repeatedly wants me to tell him or her how much they care about hitting a ball into a hole, I would also be telling them they need help.

But you do care about how pretty your pixels are in the video game and how great and different they are other and the long hours you spend in acquiring them. From your other post.
    Yes - I like to be proud of what i've achieved in this game. Is there something wrong with that?

If you built your identity around a hobby, then you are too invested, whether you realize it or not. You can enjoy soccer, golf, and WoW. They're really fun hobbies.

Sometimes people BECOME their hobby. They define themselves as a soccer guy, golfer, or gamer to the extreme. And when someone says something or if a developer makes a decision that affects how they enjoy that hobby, they take it personally and lash out.

I think these kinds of people care too much about pixels. And I don't care who you are or what you believe, it's just not healthy.

Enjoy your hobbies, but don't let them control you. At the end of your life, all you take with you are your memories -- not your soccer ball, golf clubs, or computer.

So make those memories good ones, and try not to spend your time and energy *obsessing* over pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Muse View Post
    If you built your identity around a hobby, then you are too invested, whether you realize it or not. You can enjoy soccer, golf, and WoW. They're really fun hobbies.

Sometimes people BECOME their hobby. They define themselves as a soccer guy, golfer, or gamer to the extreme. And when someone says something or if a developer makes a decision that affects how they enjoy that hobby, they take it personally and lash out.

I think these kinds of people care too much about pixels. And I don't care who you are or what you believe, it's just not healthy.

Enjoy your hobbies, but don't let them control you. At the end of your life, all you take with you are your memories -- not your soccer ball, golf clubs, or computer.

So make those memories good ones, and try not to spend your time and energy *obsessing* over pixels.
    So a professional soccer play who's hobby is playing soccer is too invested....cmon man. Sorry but what you just said is incredibly silly.

Well, those were two hilariously stupid and completely irrelevant examples, but yes, it's an asinine remark. To me honestly.

How I deal with this debate (assuming the game is loads-o-fun):

1. Do they hinder my experience with the game?

No: Don't care.
    Yes: Trash it.

So a professional soccer play who's hobby is playing soccer is too invested....cmon man. Sorry but what you just said is incredibly silly.
    I'm not talking about professional sport playing. I'm talking about HOBBYISTS who take their passion to the extreme. Like a Jets fan that starts fights with other football team fans because of his unbridled patriotism to a sports team.

In the same manner, some WoW player extremists can get extremely mad and belligerent when someone says something negative about their game or the developers change things about the game. They take it too personally. THAT is unhealthy.

Yes - I like to be proud of what i've achieved in this game. Is there something wrong with that?
    Nothing. The problem is when you expect people to give you a ticker tape parade.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused about where this came from? If you mean the comment Chilton made about hornless elves, you need a sense of humor. Seriously.

Sports are totally fake btw.
    "Creating a world without Yuno would be meaningless."