Regrets with gaming laptop.

Dear mmo-c. I think I've done a mistake....

On friday, my old PC broke. Long story short. I boot it, I see pixels n shit. Then it tries to repair, try it and it says it cannot and has to reset, loops. (I asume GPU or both my HD are fuck'd)

Regardless, it's an old PC, and I think it was a time for upgrade anyways. My problem was when I bought it I got a low-end motherboard and PSU, as well as (today) old CPU (i5 2500k) So If I were to get new GPU, I recon I'd have to get some nice CPU, as well as a motherboard and PSU. So I though I'd just get a new PC...

Now I was kinda frighted at the delivery time of my main hardware website. They build your PC for you, and It's quite cheap as well. (They also have the cheapest parts around, if I wanted to build myself)

So. I did like any other filthy casual(jk) and took the trip to my local electronic store and looked at laptops, as desktops at those stores are just overpriced as fuck.

So I got a http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops.../y-series/y50/

Which was quite pricey, but I wanted a rig that can take wow on ultra and be able to run most modern FPS on doable settings (bf4 etc)

Now, a few days later, I'm realizing what a desktop I could have gotten for that price...I recon a decent 4th gen i5 and a 970 at least...

and fyi: My laptop has a 30 day open purchase, so I could go return and it get cash back and go order a desktop.

Now what I'm here for. I wanna ask you guys out there..Does any of you have a gaming laptop as a main gaming rig? Is the mobillity worth it?
    One of the reasons I wanted a laptop was because I'm visiting my girlfriend in the US (I'm from norway) for 2 month this winter. So I though I'd have some entertainment while she is at school. (4-5hours)

I may also mention I have a sweet as fuck 144hz monitor which I can't even run on my laptop (the hz that is)

One last question: This laptop got a 4th gen i5 and a gtx 960m. How does a 960M Compare to a desktop version 960? Or even better a 970?

TL;DR: I'm having regrets buying a gaming laptop. Does anyone around here have experience having a gaming laptop as a main rig? Is the mobility worth the raw power you can get out of a desktop?

I appreciate any feedback!

Edit: for the same price I can get this PC in parts:

- https://www.komplett.no/pc-i-deler-c...tx-970/783619# (i7-47090 and GTX 970)

- Warex
    Last edited by warex00; 2015-08-09 at 08:17 AM.

I recently bought an Asus GT which was around 2000 dollars and I am very happy with it.
    I need the laptop cause I travel a lot otherwise I am certain I could've bought a better desktop pc with that money

I have never enjoyed a laptop. I had one for college just for between classes where I would gather herbs or mine (whatevever) as well as study from time to time. My dekstop was always my king. For the same price, you can almost always get a better desktop than laptop. The exceptions are few and few between. If you really don't have a need to move the computer from place to place, there's no point.

You're asking if the mobility is worth it... Well, mobility is only worth it if you move a lot. You're visiting your girlfriend for 2 months, why do you need a laptop? You're going out of country! Go do things! There are plenty of things to do in the US. Go do things, visit people, come over to my house and have a beer! Don't use a laptop on your vacation. Vacations are vacations for a reason, you don't need a PC.

If you're using the laptop as a desktop the vast majority of time then it makes no sense to have the laptop. The price/performance isn't even comparable in any way. All the laptop has is its mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post

One last question: This laptop got a 4th gen i5 and a gtx 960m. How does a 960M Compare to a desktop version 960? Or even better a 970?

TL;DR: I'm having regrets buying a gaming laptop. Does anyone around here have experience having a gaming laptop as a main rig? Is the mobility worth the raw power you can get out of a desktop?

I appreciate any feedback!

Edit: for the same price I can get this PC in parts:

- https://www.komplett.no/pc-i-deler-c...tx-970/783619# (i7-47090 and GTX 970)

- Warex
    A 960M does not come close to a GTX 960. Mobile cards are much weaker than their desktop counterparts.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...0/m27242vs3165

Quote Originally Posted by Nengal View Post
    You're asking if the mobility is worth it... Well, mobility is only worth it if you move a lot. You're visiting your girlfriend for 2 months, why do you need a laptop? You're going out of country! Go do things! There are plenty of things to do in the US. Go do things, visit people, come over to my house and have a beer! Don't use a laptop on your vacation. Vacations are vacations for a reason, you don't need a PC.
    That was exactly my thought too

Deleted
    I would never get a gaming laptop as a main computer, unless i travel all the time but that would mean im to busy to game anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    That was exactly my thought too
    Aye then. You can come for a beer or three or twelve then too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhosas View Post
    I would never get a gaming laptop as a main computer, unless i travel all the time but that would mean im to busy to game anyway.
    ^this pretty much, unless you constantly visit friends to game or yeah...
    If you are going to the states for 2 months, why not just bring a desktop.

Fact is you get more lifetime - power - quality with a desktop.

Though not like BF4 and WoW needs a new gen i5 + 970 gtx.

Quote Originally Posted by Nengal View Post
    Aye then. You can come for a beer or three or twelve then too.
    Never tried American beer :O

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    ^this pretty much, unless you constantly visit friends to game or yeah...
    If you are going to the states for 2 months, why not just bring a desktop.

Fact is you get more lifetime - power - quality with a desktop.

Though not like BF4 and WoW needs a new gen i5 + 970 gtx.
    Yeah, I do suppose, but personally, playing high-end games on ultra on 144hz sounds quite fun tbh :P

Who ever buying gaming laptop is like setting fire on stack of dollars in his hands. Terrible performance compared to the money you spend on them and just to reach same performance of above average to top notch desktop PC rig you are going to spend much.So what you are going to do ? you will lower your hopes to reach the budget you are targeting, which means the mediocre gaming laptop you will get won't survive more than couple of years and you will be forced then to play games on low settings, my advice to anyone... don't buy gaming laptop.

Thank you all for your replies, appreciated. I think I'll head down to the store tomorrow morning to return the laptop, and go order the parts online to build a desktop

I wouldn't even consider that a "gaming laptop". What most people in the thread were warning you against was the $2,000+ Alienware bullshit type "gaming laptops".

The Lenovo Y50 is more of a laptop that can play some games due to having higher end parts than most laptops but it isn't the 30 minute battery life, jet engine fan, 10lb bricks that most people equate "gaming laptops" to be (and they're right to).

Difference between i5-2500K and 4th gen i5/i7 is not as big as you think especially in gaming.
    "Upgrading" from 2500K to a 4790K gives you close to the same performance increase as just overlocking 2500K to 4,4Ghz (which is what 4790K is at stock and won't overclock much higher without some serious cooling).
    Just throwing this out there in case you want to save some money.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Gaming laptops are things that only make sense in some very niche scenarios. They're big, bulky, heavy, ugly... Everything that a Laptop shouldn't be.
    I'd go get a real desktop without thinking twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Gaming laptops are things that only make sense in some very niche scenarios. They're big, bulky, heavy, ugly... Everything that a Laptop shouldn't be.
    Pretty much this.

It's been my experience that gaming laptops are never as good as advertised, and you usually have to spend a lot more to get a comparable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Totally agree, gaming and laptops are just a bad match.

* The price/performance ratio is terrible compared to a desktop.
    * Those with the necessary horse power to power games are often heavy and bulky and therefore not that mobile.
    * Laptops are terribly designed and built today. IMO they are the one PC product that actually got alot worse in the last years. Most of them operate near their heat limits. The dedicated GPU( which is a must for a gaming laptop) often pushes them over those limits.

If you can avoid it: Never get a gaming laptop.