Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Its widely used irl, generally to make fun of misguided idealists.
    LOL no it isn't

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    It's an extremely overused label that gets thrown out to immediately try and discredit someone's opinion with an insult.

So of course it will never die out. Dumb people prefer throwing out quick insults to actually forming a thoughtful response to something they take issue with.

The funny part is the anti SJWs are just as fanatical as the SJWs themselves.
    Pretty much this. Basically being against bigotry gets you called an SJW today. It's sad.

Not a fan of the term. Hope it dies in a fire. Social justice isn't a bad term. I'm sure you can all read about its philosophical history, but I was most familiar with its relationship to Catholic teachings prior to it becoming an internet insult. It was all about helping the poor and vulnerable. Social justice committee at my school worked soup kitchens, built houses, had Christmas for poor kids, and stuff like that. I am in no way religious, but it was the one thing I enjoyed about being involved with the church when I was young enough that it wasn't up to me.

So seeing the concept used in a derogatory way makes no sense to me. I understand that it originated as a sarcastic descriptor of a certain kind of hypocritical tumblrite. But now it most commonly gets used against anyone defending a position seen as "pc" or "sensitive" by whatever troll wants to be dismissive. So i don't know. I'm sure it will die out eventually. But in the meantime, like most insults, it's a red flag that someone isn't able to defend their position rationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    Not a fan of the term. Hope it dies in a fire. Social justice isn't a bad term. I'm sure you can all read about its philosophical history, but I was most familiar with its relationship to Catholic teachings prior to it becoming an internet insult. It was all about helping the poor and vulnerable. Social justice committee at my school worked soup kitchens, built houses, had Christmas for poor kids, and stuff like that. I am in no way religious, but it was the one thing I enjoyed about being involved with the church when I was young enough that it wasn't up to me.

So seeing the concept used in a derogatory way makes no sense to me. I understand that it originated as a sarcastic descriptor of a certain kind of hypocritical tumblrite. But now it most commonly gets used against anyone defending a position seen as "pc" or "sensitive" by whatever troll wants to be dismissive. So i don't know. I'm sure it will die out eventually. But in the meantime, like most insults, it's a red flag that someone isn't able to defend their position rationally.
    A social activist fights to get a ramp added for the disabled.
    A social justice warrior fights to get stairs taken away from the abled.

Yes, on the internet, the term is abused by people who don't like being called out on passive-aggressive bigotry (which there's an irony regarding SJWS), but the root cause is basically someone freaking out over what's essentially a misunderstanding or politically incorrect thinking. It's like freaking out over The Boondocks (before the last season) for Uncle Ruckus, ignoring the intention of satire.

When they realize that:
    - Equality of opportunity is good and equality of outcome is bad.
    - Getting offended is part of life, dealing with it is better than avoiding it.
    - Jokes are not reality and telling jokes will not turn the world into a worse place.
    - Censorship is bad.
    - Using lies to defend your ideas will bite you in the ass in the future.

Then I guess the term may die off or maybe it will become a lesson for the history of something we should not do... who knows.