Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Plant Lavender.

Masks scent marking and Cats hate the smell.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Culling is the best solution.
    Sounds screwed up, but it's correct. More than the inconvenience they are causing Strear and Strear's garden, cats are an extremely invasive species, and are decimating bird, rodent, frog, and other population of indigenous animals... all over the world.

A cull is the proper response to invasive species. If an area won't do a cull, the bare minimum is to have some sort of spay/neuter program. We pick up strays here, spay/neuter them, clip a small amount off of the tip of an ear (eartipping), and then release them again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Answer to feral cats? Feral dogs. Answer to feral dogs?

Feral gorillas.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ioath View Post
    Does "cull" mean poisoning? Genuinely curious. We have dogs, so no cat problems.
    Culling is just any means of regulated population reduction. Poisoning has bad side effects, as unintended animals can get harmed too. It's also pretty inhumane, causes suffering.

10+ Year Old Account
    *puts on over-sized mechanical squishee boots*

Whelp......
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Deleted
    I love cats as much as the next guy but wild cats are worse than rats, and possibly even worse than Hitler. I would suggest a mass culling of the adult population by any means available and necessary. Try to sell kittens that has not yet become bewildered(To proper homes, preferably outside your area/town) and use that money to euthanize/neuter kittens that could not be sold.

I've been giving my co-worker some used coffee grounds, and that seems to be working well at keeping a stray that was bothering him (and his 2 indoor cats) away.

Well as an ignorant American, when we had the nutria outbreak in Maryland, we found that cullings actually just made more room for more nutria. So the way we eradicated them from the East coast was setting traps for them, spaying and neutering them and then just letting them go. In a few years, there were no more nutria in the Chesapeake Bay Region.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Answer to feral cats? Feral dogs. Answer to feral dogs?

Feral gorillas.
    Answer to feral gorillas?

Feral land sharks.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2015-08-11 at 12:56 AM.

Lavender and pepper did not work

I'll buy cages and bring the cats to a defending animals association a few kilometers from here, they'll try to find people to take them for those who are able to be sociabilized, or neuter them if I understand well.

A side effect is for the true people " owning " cats (tattooed/necklaced), the feral are spreading terrible sickness (like cats AIDS that killed our cat the first year we arrived, he had no more bollocks and the other were fighting it all the time).

Funny thing : I still have it hard to use " it " instead of " him " / " her " for animals

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Culling is just any means of regulated population reduction. Poisoning has bad side effects, as unintended animals can get harmed too. It's also pretty inhumane, causes suffering.
    A good step is usually to castrate them to stop them procreating uncontrolled.

I have the exact same problem you are listing and I tried a lot of stuff to keep them away. They are all basically feral, and even the ones that aren't the owners don't bother to fix them. Bad pet mentality here.
    Anyways, they continued to crap all over the lawn and garden and I tried a lot of things but red pepper seemed to work. Just chili pepper or whatever, I just sprinkled it all around the areas they were going and it seemed to stop them.
    The fighting is another story, maybe i'll end up having to pay for a vet myself to have them all fixed. Or maybe just the females.

Man... and I thought feral cats were a problem in Texas. When my husband and I were living on my parents' property... an extra house they had on about 2 acres of land in the middle of no where. Every time someone dropped off a cat near our house, or a wild one would pop up... I'd just put a few traps out... and catch them. Getting them fixed in rural TX is super cheap... like 20-40 bucks a cat. Then I'd release them so at least they wouldn't be breeding anymore... but it's different there. Cats are useful in rural places :/

There was a place in a town nearby... there was a GIANT community of feral cats. They lived near the track by the high school because when the stadium lights came on... there were bugs every where. It was like a cat buffet.

Honestly... if they're a huge problem. And catch/fix/release isn't an option. They need to be culled if they're causing issues, eventually... they're going to become a health hazard for the population.