Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    1 mill subs = 15Mill a month, you dont call that profitable? Lelz
    profit means you're making more than you're spending

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    profit means you're making more than you're spending
    I doubt WoW costs more then 15 Million a year. and thats only from subs. Box money, cash shop, promotions. alot of $$ to earn with 1M lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

It is profitable, and would still be at 1 mil subs. But since its not at 1mil anyway who gives a shit. Awful thread.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think some of the people with the 1M is or is not profitable are missing the larger point. WoW is Blizzard's (by far) #1 IP and brand. Some other ones are popular games for sure, but none are a household brand that nearly everyone in the US including non-gamers know what wow is.

With the brand value in mind, there is a point where sub loss damaging the wow brand is a much larger issue than whether or not 1M or 2M is still a somewhat profitable number. Blizzard's margins are still quite good, so from a sub number I'm sure it could go much lower based on those numbers in their quarterly reports. But Blizzard is already only 38% of Activision-Blizzard revenue now. if that gets to something like 80/20 Activision, and the wow brand is looking bad due to really low (like under 3M) subs then that is a big issue. The main point being the brand value of wow is probably more important than whether 1M or 2M can keep the servers going.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I doubt WoW costs more then 15 Million a year. and thats only from subs. Box money, cash shop, promotions. alot of $$ to earn with 1M lol
    I belive it actually cost more than that. Apart from the game development, WoW is a game that needs to be kept alive = Blizz needs to pay fees (ex. server fee), and those are big sums (and those fees are also included in the monthly price of sub - if you're ever wondered what are you paying for).

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    This argument is so flawed:

1. First of all, it's not profitable with 1 mil subs. It's profitable with 1 single sub if you spend nothing at all. So if you do absolutely nothing at all and you offer nothing, you can be profitable because 1 guy paid you.

2. There is a difference between being in decay and being on the rise. For example a game that went from 500,000 users to 1 mil and it's rising to become a 2mil is warmer environment than a 12mil->5mil.

3. We don't know if the game is profitable or not really. The Accounting of a complex company is ..complex. WoW in isolation might be profitable or it might be breaking-even if suddenly WoD was hated.
    1mil subs is $15m per month. $180m per year. That's not even taking into consideration some of those subscribers will also purchase store stuff as well as some subs will be $20 because of the WoW Token.

But let's just underestimate it for now. $180m/yr. Do you think WoW costs $180m/yr to run? I highly, highly doubt that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd View Post
    I belive it actually cost more than that. Apart from the game development, WoW is a game that needs to be kept alive = Blizz needs to pay fees (ex. server fee), and those are big sums (and those fees are also included in the monthly price of sub - if you're ever wondered what are you paying for).
    Mate NO game cost 15Million a month -.-
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

It's not a flawed argument at all. With lower subs would come a smaller customer service group, smaller / less expensive hardware requirements, etc, and the game would remain profitable.

They could drop below a million and still turn a profit.

Everyone unsub and find out.

My bet is NO.