Thread: London?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

London?

Going there in a few months on a short holiday with misses Shift..
    Now i heard its expensive as f, so i was wondering if anyone knew a town / place closeby to londen so i dont have to drop 150 pounds a night on a room. Also whats there to see besides the belltower and the M&M store? Any tips?

10+ Year Old Account
    Avoid tourist sites - the staff is rude as fk

Also, avoid the areas of London where you're likely to be stabbed or robbed with a knife.

In other words, avoid London.

Hi! I haven't written anything for years and years but I wanted to reply to this quickly!

There will be people who want to reply and tell you how disgusting London is, how dangerous, how inhuman. This is the classic backwards view that lots of people who haven't lived in London have. I grew up in a TINY village and moved to London six years ago and although I am now moving out, it's a GREAT place to go.

Travel:

As long as you are near a tube station in zone 2-3, you will have easy transport. The tube map can take a while to get your head around but just take your time and don't be worried about asking for directions. Although Londoners seem cold, if you smile and ask for help *most* people will politely, happily oblige. The zones, like most cities, are concentric circles of regions or areas that are progressively cheaper to leave in but more expensive to travel across. Get a day travel card at a tube station for, for example, zone 1-3, if you're staying in zone 3.

Where to stay:

I would recommend Air BnB right now, but maybe just search for hostels in different areas around zone 2-3. I don't think you'll find anything much cheaper than £150 without risking a skanky bathroom, for example.

Things to see:

Too many to count. Some amazing history. Go to the Tower of London and see the crown jewels. Then cross Tower Bridge, walk west to London Bridge where I think you can go up the tallest building for an amazing view (might need to buy 1 drink). Hang out nearby in Borough for food. Shoreditch for drinks and more trendy bars, North London (Camden) for more rocky choices. Look up top 100 things to do in London or something.

I will PM you my email address - I'm happy to help.

Will

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Also, avoid the areas of London where you're likely to be stabbed or robbed with a knife.

Most of London is pretty safe, there's certain estates in South and East London you wouldn't want to go on when dark but is a lot safer than comparable cities in other nations.

In regards to cost, £150pw is basically bottom level for a 1bd apartment in London, I'd advise looking at the commuter belt if you need cheaper (or go for a shared 2/3 bed).

I spent 23 years in a rural market town with 'low' crime rates. I was punched once or twice in a club over the years and had a bag stolen from a pub.

I spent 6 years in London, all over in places like Brixton and Mile End, and NEVER got ANY hassle.

Don't be so idiotic. I very highly doubt you have ANY idea what you're talking about. In fact, most English people are scared of London because there are more people that don't speak their own language than in the tiny, shitty town/village they grew up in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    Most of London is pretty safe, there's certain estates in South and East London you wouldn't want to go on when dark but is a lot safer than comparable cities in other nations.

In regards to cost, £150pw is basically bottom level for a 1bd apartment in London, I'd advise looking at the commuter belt if you need cheaper (or go for a shared 2/3 bed).
    I was talking per night :P, not per week.

Also, are there places close to london so u can like just ride the bus for 30 mins into londen while having half the hotel costs?

He said he's going IN a few months, not FOR a few months!

@Shiift - check out http://www.lastminute.com - you can usually find real bargains by booking just a day or two in advance (e.g. looking for today, I found a hotel in Docklands for £65/night).

As to what to do, depends what you're interests are. There's tons of good places to eat, there's river tours up and down the Thames, Kew Gardens, all the theatres around Shaftesbury Avenue, there's various museums (e.g. the Natural History Museum) ... check out http://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do (worth checking lastminute.com again for discounted tickets).

[edit] In fact if you're flexible and don't mind what you do, just check lastminute.com while you're here and see what the best bargains are.
    Last edited by Aliessil; 2015-08-10 at 11:50 AM.

Deleted
    i booked travelodge kings cross for £89 per night for a family of 4 in a few months time, so £150 per night seems quite a high budget.

15+ Year Old Account

While we are at it: Take a lot of money for baksheesh with you too, and bring your own water and toilet paper and respect the night curfew. /s
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

The TOWER OF LONDON is awesome and a must visit if you havent been before.

The shard, though expensive is worth it (but book in advance to save some dosh)

If its a weekend you are going for, stay in the area called bank, which is deserted on a weekend and thus cheap.

In london lots of people will also pre book to see a show at one of the theatres. its a london thing to do i guess.

Also, get an underground pass for the weekend. £5 deposit, sheap travel then get the £5 back at the end. Much cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account

Off the scale on the bullshit meter here...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Also, are there places close to london so u can like just ride the bus for 30 mins into londen while having half the hotel costs?
    30 minutes on a bus and you're pretty much still in Central London. Hammersmith is nice, cheaper than the centre, but still within easy travelling distance.

I was born, raised, lived and worked in various parts of London for over three decades, in that time the amount of people I knew who were stabbed or robbed at knife point amounts to a grand total of zero.

As far as I am aware, I only know a couple of people who knew someone that was stabbed. And that was in Gillingham, which isn't in London.

Deleted
    London has no shops

Quote Originally Posted by Saeran View Post
    Off the scale on the bullshit meter here...
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/d...fe-injury-rise
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...w-8681511.html

Guess it is all propaganda by the Germans.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't know how big London is, do you?

Just like any other major city

Avoid the touristy places cause the prices are a complete ripoff, Avoid the shittier parts of London and plan ahead on what you wanna see cause London is huge with a shitton of stuff to see and do.

Even though im a Brummie who is heavily biased against London is still a city worth seeing with absolute tons of history and great food.
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2015-08-10 at 12:43 PM.

London's got a population of 8.6m, not including tourists, commuters, etc. So from your original post and the links you just posted, "likely" = 0.018% chance per year .. hardly something most people worry about. London is one of the top 20 safest cities in the world (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/pi...st-cities.html), ranked 12th on personal safety.

So yeah, so much for your fear mongering.

Deleted
    4 deaths to knife crime a month in London. 50 deaths to guns per month in NYC.

4 deaths a month in a city of 8million is almost nothing.