7+ Year Old Account

HFC DK tips and tricks thread

I would like to just have a dedicated thread for only Mythic bosses on these forums for all to see. Anyone with good input please feel free to post here and help out our fellow brother and sister Death Knights. Would prefer to keep this to a DPS section as there is a lot of good information out on Blood tanking here and else where but not so much for the Unholy and Frost players... There are a few great posts already about Unholy trinkets and BoS/Defile/NP priority already here but need to be sifted through pages of bullshit people crying about 2H Frost, going Demon Hunter, and the Artifact Weapon etc. I do plan to dig for those posts and put here to have every thing close together in one thread.

I saved this from Skullflowers Ask.fm before it was removed. Its a basic map of what spec her used on specific Mythic encounters except Mythic Archimonde. Hope this helps-

Mythic only:Assault: Unholy - unless mobs die super quickly then just go Frost. Statistics show a majority do well with Unholy on Mythic: https://www.warcraft...ss=DeathKnight.

Reaver: Frost or Unholy - depends on your gear; I played Unholy because my 1handers suck and itemization was better for it. Statistics show an even representation for the two: https://www.warcraft...ass=DeathKnight

Kormrok: Frost or Unholy - I would go Unholy if the hands live for a somewhat decent amount of time, otherwise Frost is fine too. Statistics show an even representation for the two: https://www.warcraft...ass=DeathKnight

Council: Again, Frost or Unholy is fine here it all depends on your weapons and gear. Statistics show an even representation for the two: https://www.warcraft...ass=DeathKnightKilrogg: I definitely preferred Frost here simply for how easy it is to clear the downstairs room if you are assigned to be sent down. You could go Unholy too; statistics show Frost being somewhat better but there's some good Unholy parses: https://www.warcraft...ass=DeathKnight

Gorefiend: This all depends on your strategy. If you don't want too much passive cleave then Unholy with NP is probably not the best thing to do. That said, it will destroy if you do want all that passive cleave, as evident by these stats: https://www.warcraft...ass=DeathKnight

Iskar: I prefer Unholy but Frost does just as well. I went with Necroblight, maintaining 15 stack and spreading it the instant he phases out to spawn adds. Stats show a somewhat even representation for both specs: https://www.warcraft...ass=DeathKnight

Zakuun: Like the other ST fights, go with whatever you have the best gear for. Stats show an even representation of the two: https://www.warcraft...ass=DeathKnight

Xhul: Definitely Unholy- maintaining a 15 stack at all times and spreading them the instant shadow and imp adds spawn is so powerful to quickly kill those. Frost seems to be doing well too but it felt much smoother and consistent damage as Unholy. Stats: https://www.warcraft...ass=DeathKnight

Socrethar: I prefer Frost because you can take advantage of Glyph of Runic Power to dip in and out of the Felblaze Charge and do a ton of damage with spamming FS. Unholy also seems to be capable of doing well: https://www.warcraft...ass=DeathKnight

Velhari: I prefer Frost due to how important burst damage is within the hero/burn phase in phase 2.

Mannoroth: Unholy

I will note from personal xp, I found Frost to be better for me on H Xhoul. Was able to get a historic ranking 95% that day using two 705 weapons and full on Mastery enchants. Due to a 715 2H, I had to go full time UH... and keep fishing Xhoul for those mace's. Other players will exp different results.

"Singletarget:
    1. Unholy with Breath, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn. This however, is probably the hardest mechanic as an Unholy DK to maintain a high uptime on Breath of Sindragosa. I'd suggest using this on Gorefiend (n and hc), Fel Lord. You could use it on Tyrant, but cleaving Adds with Defile may be better. If you're focusing pure on highest dps, use Breath.
    2. Frost with Defile, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn.
    3. Frost with Plague, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn
    4. Unholy with Defile, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn
    5. Unholy with Plague, Discordant Chorus & Reaper's Harvest

Multitarget:
    1. Unholy with Plague, Discordant Chorus & Reaper's Harvest. This is definetely King on Assault, High Council, Gorefiend (mythic only), Xhul'horac & Mannoroth.
    2. Frost with Defile, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn. I play this on Kormrok, Kilrogg, Iskar, Socrethar & Archimonde
    3. I don't think Unholy Multitarget with Defile, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn can compete with Plague & Reaper's Harvest, but I haven't tested it yet. However, if you don't feel like playing Frost fits you, just go with this until you have Reaper's Harvest.

Additionally, my own playstyle:
    Assault: Unholy, Plague, Discordant Chorus & Reaper's Harvest
    Reaver: Frost, Defile, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn
    Kormrok: Frost, Defile, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn
    High Council: Unholy, Plague, Discordant Chorus & Reaper's Harvest
    Kilrogg: Frost, Defile, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn (Vision Group)
    Gorefiend: Unholy, Breath, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn (n and hc)
    Iskar: Frost, Defile, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn
    Socrethar: Frost, Defile, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn
    Tyrant: Frost, Defile, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn (However, I've been testing with Unholy Breath / Plague lately, not sure yet.)
    Fel Lord: Unholy, Breath, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn
    Xhul'Horac: Unholy, Plague, Discordant Chorus & Reaper's Harvest
    Mannoroth: Unholy, Plague, Discordant Chorus & Reaper's Harvest
    Archimonde: Frost, Defile, Discordant Chorus & Empty Drinking Horn (Unholy with Plague & Reaper's Harvest could work, but it's really bad if you're in the Banish Group, and it only shines at Add DPS in Phase 2)"

--Clayney0 "When can I go Unholy?" thread.

Soak fire, chain break, dog circles, pillar aoe= much power. Also I have found I do better with NP on this boss instead of Defile. Not because of the ping pong but because of the adds and having 10-15 stacks of NP jump to them when they come out.

Here is an example https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done
    The dk from DNOgaming is obviously higher ilvl and did 10k more than me.
    His defile + frost and blood fever is around 4.3 mil

My NP plus death and decay ( which I should have been using more when adds come out on p2) did around = 3.9mil

--ZeeroDK "Heroic Archimonde tips/tricks" thread
    I'd like to add my own DPS went up about 8-10k using two single target trinkets- Mythic Vial and HWF Unending Hunger. Paired Vial with Blood Fury and Ring

Unholy trinkets you really want to have:

Myithc Vial of convulsive shadows from iron maidens BRF
    Unending Hunger from Gorefiend
    Discordant Chorus from Zakuun
    Reapers harvest from Archimonde

UeH + Vial for ST with BoS
    UeH + DC for cleave and frequent bursty AoE, depending on the situation vial when you have BoS
    UeH + RH for spread AoE
    RH + DC for stacked AoE

Vial will only surpass EDH with the legendary ring and might need some additional ilvl to really get vial up there.
    EDH is basically only good for ST and is that fifth option if you lack either vial or UeH for ST but as it currently stands its not likely to be BiS and even if the difference between it and vial will be minimal

--Raikh "Priority of getting trinkets for Unholy"
    MAJOR props and Thanks for posting this!! <3

Any other good solid contribution is of course welcomed! Good luck to all this week in Heroic/Mythics!
    Last edited by Piz813; 2015-08-12 at 12:23 PM. Reason: title is misleading
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual

Great thread! Any chance of getting a Heroic one as a lot of the mechanics that are in Mythic aren't in Heroic?

Looks like your links mostly got eaten.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sflame View Post
    Great thread! Any chance of getting a Heroic one as a lot of the mechanics that are in Mythic aren't in Heroic?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkdk View Post
    Looks like your links mostly got eaten.
    yeah I copied this before he deleted his ask account.

I apply as much of this as I can to Heroic bosses. I will note I went UH on Kromrok today and I destroyed on the hands. Spiked up to 127k. Was frost for weeks and am 100% convinced its a UH fight!

Mooniara talked to me about Unending Hunger secret on Archimonde. Try it for yourself! Results in 8k-10k DPS increase
    Filthy Casual

Deleted
    Copy pasting outdated/wrong information sure is a good way to help people.

Next time have something to back up your claims and not "I felt like this was the way to go!" Specially when the thread is "mythic" tips and you have 0 kills
    Last edited by mmocf8a5cc7d0f; 2015-08-12 at 06:04 AM.

Not mythic specific but on archimonde you can AMS soak pre pull from the pools around the room to start the fight with 70-80 runic power.

Deleted
    Mooniara talked to me about Unending Hunger secret on Archimonde.
    What? Explain.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodyne View Post
    Not mythic specific but on archimonde you can AMS soak pre pull from the pools around the room to start the fight with 70-80 runic power.
    Good one! God I miss nitro fuel. That should help getting dark transformation up much much quicker!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flow1 View Post
    Copy pasting outdated/wrong information sure is a good way to help people.

Next time have something to back up your claims and not "I felt like this was the way to go!" Specially when the thread is "mythic" tips and you have 0 kills
    Negative Nancy's were expected. If u look skullflowers clearly wrote mythic on his post. It just says what spec you can go for the fight. My strong recommendation for unending hunger us pure personal experience.
    Filthy Casual

Deleted
    Fix my DPS thread people are going to have a field day after new people read thread like this, skullflowers sims and guides are heavily outdated, specially trinket choices and spec/talent choices.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas7074 View Post
    What? Explain.
    Here is a piece of the email. Him and I go back and forth. Real cool guy and his videos are great.

I will do some talk on trinkets here that i haven't actually made a video yet, But I don't want to go too far in-depth about the gorefiend trinket, however it is a lot better then people actually think it is, Almost all the top unholy parses on archimonde use that trinket, Is it just luck? Nope there's a hidden reason behind it, Secretly I think it's very good, Further more, I have been playing with heroic gorefiend trinket over heroic EDH on some bosses as unholy.

That should give you an idea of how i feel about it

~Mooniara

If there is a issue about posting this I will remove it right away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flow1 View Post
    Fix my DPS thread people are going to have a field day after new people read thread like this, skullflowers sims and guides are heavily outdated, specially trinket choices and spec/talent choices.
    that's fine. there is nothing in here about rotations. just advice on what trinkets and spec's to go with. not claiming anything- just wanted to put the good posts in once place since 98% of this forum is people bitching about Legion, 2H frost, and Demon Hunters.

If you can find a good Death Knight place to discuss current raiding please tell us!
    Last edited by Piz813; 2015-08-12 at 08:31 PM.
    Filthy Casual

Quote Originally Posted by Piz813 View Post
    I don't want to go too far in-depth about the gorefiend trinket, however it is a lot better then people actually think it is, Almost all the top unholy parses on archimonde use that trinket, Is it just luck? Nope there's a hidden reason behind it, Secretly I think it's very good, Further more, I have been playing with heroic gorefiend trinket over heroic EDH on some bosses as unholy.
    Is the secret that we know how to use SimC? UeH is BiS on close to every fight in HfC. EDH has been overvalued by SimC for most of this tier as SimC falsely assumed that EDH proc'd on Necrosis (which it does not). There is a really good thread in this forum on Unholy trinkets. Well worth a read.

Dunno why posting it would be an issue when every DK who has a clue knows UeH is a powerful trinket. I've heard the trinket refreshes it's duration and not the stacks when it procs, but given that i don't have the trinket myself I can't say for sure.

You can use death coil to heal the caster adds in gorefiends stomach. A single non crit death coil is ~50k healing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blargenshmeh View Post
    Dunno why posting it would be an issue when every DK who has a clue knows UeH is a powerful trinket. I've heard the trinket refreshes it's duration and not the stacks when it procs, but given that i don't have the trinket myself I can't say for sure.
    Correct. Mooniara made a video just on UnH about 3 weeks ago explaining this. Very useful for UH.

*Could not edit title of thread due to misleading title

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akihito View Post
    Is the secret that we know how to use SimC? UeH is BiS on close to every fight in HfC. EDH has been overvalued by SimC for most of this tier as SimC falsely assumed that EDH proc'd on Necrosis (which it does not). There is a really good thread in this forum on Unholy trinkets. Well worth a read.
    Its buried in page 2 or 3? Copy pasted it here to keep useful information together.

- - - Updated - - -

You can use death coil to heal the caster adds in gorefiends stomach. A single non crit death coil is ~50k healing.
    Excellent tip! I did not know this!!

- - - Updated - - -

http://sonofalich.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=78

As of August 13th this site will be updated for 6.2 till end of WoD
    Filthy Casual

Is there a consistent way to pool RP prepull now?

I know nitro was nerfed, what about swapblast? In a short fight I don't know if I would want to use ERW on pull.

would unholy be better than frost with BiS gear?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lagunablade View Post
    would unholy be better than frost with BiS gear?
    Don't need bis gear for that. BoS + ring > Frost and it just keeps getting better and better cos of the ring upgrades.

Deleted
    Same for Kormrok.
    Iron Reaver - You can soak AMS prepull from the burning cannons after HFA is defeated. Get a priest to feathers or grip you back so you don't lose too much RP.
    Last edited by mmoc9bef67a441; 2015-08-13 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antenora View Post
    You can soak AMS prepull from the burning cannons after HFA is defeated. Get a priest to feathers or grip you back so you don't lose too much RP.
    huehuehueheuehue
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
    huehuehueheuehue
    :P

/10characters