Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I mean yeah kinda. Ovb its fun to be better than people but I don't think it was the most balanced thing in the world It's not very fun when you were trying to push 2200 and fighting full geared teams.

Same feeling about PVE gear. Really fun and cheesy when you are the one doing it but it gets super old getting farmed by something out of your control.
    Hi Sephurik

I thought weapons were fine but whole sets weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by PostGG View Post
    I thought weapons were fine but whole sets weren't.
    As a Arena player who was never near Gladiator level but was able to get 2.2 with some effort in seasons it was allways a chore at around 2100 where you would queue against teams above 2.2 who allready had T2 weapons.

I mean it was very well possible to win against those teams with T1 weapons but it wasnt exactly fun in my book, it allways left some sour taste when you lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Icehotshot View Post
    This was NEVER the case. It was ONE piece of gear. That is not "completely different gear sets."

Seems to me there are just a bunch of bads in here mad that they can't get the best gear. Probably the same people that can't get the mythic weapons either. Oh we should make those available to everyone because you are at a disadvantage and its the reason you can't kill mythic bosses.

Ummm no? If you are better than everyone else you deserve to have better gear.

At least in PVP it was ONE piece as opposed to PVE where its EVERY piece.
    So you resort to calling anyone disagreeing with you "a bad".
    Somewhat proves the point about jerks really.
    The PvP gear was an extra hurdle for those starting.
    PvE has the option of opponents, PvP does not.
    It is only fun for those on the dealing end, not on the receiving.

It was discussed recently that it could have been as much as an 80% increase in stats, which is utterly ridiculous.
    That is why I personally think its a great thing the upcoming diminishing returns on gear in PvP.
    Puts it back on skill, which I am admittedly lacking a great deal of.
    But at least then it is fair.
    PvP is argued to be more skilled than the PvE scripted encounters, so the gear shouldn't be a major factor if thats to be the case.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2015-08-15 at 11:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    A lot of 1800 baddies wanting to feel special here. No different from the noobs in the old PVP set that paid for an 1800 RBG carry. Not many of them around anymore though since the ban wave.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Haha, Never again please blizzard. Coming late into the season was terrible. The current system works for everyone (Still have T2 versions of armor/weapons & Tabard/Cloak).

Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    It has more to do with catching up. If you starting PVPing mid season you had almost no chance of getting a high rating. If you played a class dependent on gear and fell behind the curve you had almost no chance of gearing up. Skill didn't matter.

Back in BC I played a ret paladin and they were amazing in arenas if you had the gear. If you didn't they were totally useless. Gear made the difference between spiking a player dead vs spiking a player near death to where they could be healed up. After being stuck at the same rating for a long time I bribed a "Frost Mage" to do 4 matches with me so I could get over the gear mountain and my rating drastically improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarios View Post
    Haha, Never again please blizzard. Coming late into the season was terrible. The current system works for everyone (Still have T2 versions of armor/weapons & Tabard/Cloak).
    For alts it's possible to solve this by always have the same amount of credits for every character you are playing. For an instance if you have one max level character (paladin) with full 2.2k gear you'll have the same amount of credits you've earned on your next max level character (hunter) and you can buy all the gear at once provided you have the required rating (hunter).

For players coming late into the season they could get a honor modifier increase after a X amount of weeks or they could get all that honor at once at very late stages of a season.
    Last edited by slaise1; 2015-08-16 at 03:51 PM.

It seems a lot of people only care about having an unfair advantage in pvp

Deleted
    Ive always been able to get 1800 with ease in any bracket and 2200 was more than doable with some effort in 3s. Granted i play a R Druid, H Paladin and a Rogue, so one of those has always been viable one way or another. So i never went "hungry" or complained. I got mine so to speak.

But the system was flawed. It does not judge skill it judges relative skill. Meaning that if you took 100 of the best Arena players in the world, only a percentage of them would get the weapons. If you took 100 of the worst WoW players of all time, the same percentage would still apply. Aka its not judging skill and ability.

What this system did was activly punish "bads" and push them out of Arena, by not only having them lose fairly to better players but later on lose to the same better players + who in addition had better gear. Its basically designed to push the bottom feeders out, and when they are out, a new bottom feeder would be created.

You cannot have a thriving game that punishes the majority. Eventually they will quit, and that will keep creating new bottom feeders who feel they are wasting their time.

If the gating mechanic they're going to use is rating (which seems to be the only logical solution) the concept has some pros:

• Gear progression in PvP causes players, especially low rated players, to feel like they have a goal. Currently the only real non-fluff goal available is titles and the rating at which you get those are very vague and far in between. Back when we had weapons/waists etc at certain ratings everyone felt like they had a reasonable goal to push.
    • If good gear is available from PvP a lot of PvErs will feel forced to PvP to get that gear, and some of them will fall in love with competitive PvP giving us a larger PvP community.

However it also has severe downsides:

• Pushing rating is hard, pushing rating against someone who has better gear than you (simply because you can't buy it due to rating-requirement) is even harder. PvPers expect an even playing field (at the end of the season), rating-requirements negates that notion.
    • If good gear (for PvE) is available from PvP a lot of PvErs will feel forced to PvP to get that gear, and that's a rabbit hole we most likely don't want to go down since it'll most likely mean our gear gets nerfed so that PvErs don't feel like they have to PvP.
    • If you can get BiS gear from PvP from either PvE or PvP all the people below the rating-requirement will feel forced to do mythic to get the gear so they can fight at an even playing field against those higher rated than themselves.

I think the negatives far outweigh the positives so their gating mechanic pretty much has to be something other than rating.

^^ Exactly, pushing rating against those who have better gear is bound to fail at the level way below your real level. That's just math. I am not even talking about boosters who will wintrade to the moon and back, pushing those with legit ratings down in favor of easy money from buyers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    No. Not at all. Having rating required cosmetic gear is a way better system.
    Vouch. I always did get the rating required gear but it was annoying especially since they were time gated.

10+ Year Old Account
    No i dont miss it. PvP should be about skill not gear. It only gives higher rated players an advantage over lower rated players which makes no sense at all.

nope it was silly then, and it should never come back

"There are plans for players to be able to get great gear from PvP, but it may not be as easy as it is today. It may be easier for high rated players to get better gear than more casual players."

What a great quote from holinka. Hopefully this is true.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    IT was a stupid design, the players that got the gear first, had an advantage over other players of the same skill trying to get above those ratings.

The current system of Elite gear/Tabards and such is far better.

Nope, remember S12? At the time you got to 1800 MMR you started facing teams that bought their gear by RBG carries and you were fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Icehotshot View Post
    "There are plans for players to be able to get great gear from PvP, but it may not be as easy as it is today. It may be easier for high rated players to get better gear than more casual players."

What a great quote from holinka. Hopefully this is true.
    I hope so too. PvP is the reason why I subscribed to wow and I really want to play right now, but I know if I subscribe I will just be bored because there is no goal I feel worth pursuing. PvP just feels empty...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Not really, just that if you're good you shouldn't need better tools than those who compete with you.
    that's exactly what i was saying...EXACTLY.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    Im on the same page as him. There is no need for marginally better gear depending on your rating. No point at all. Cosmetic differences tho im all for it.

True story
    Ok i think may have mis-read what he said there.. or quoted the wrong person. I've been pretty vocal against gear disparity so i was really getting confused there.

I think the big part of having rating requirement for gear is a great idea for people who are orientated for PvP rating goals however the introduction of transmog has taken away the "ooohhh, ahhhh" aspect of having shoulders back in the day (extremely noticeable piece).

Blizzard has also tuned the game down for people to play casually (as everyone knows) so taking away rating from essential gear pieces has made it easier for every PvPer to get it regardless of your experience of CR. I wish they would bring it back but it would just hurt their low PvP player base as it is as WoW has to compete with games that offer much more leniency to casualness.