Is this an unreasonable request

I am in the process of shopping for a new service/utility truck, considering I work out of the thing and it serves as somewhat of an office I'm looking for certain things.
    Was speaking with a dealer out of town since local places don't respond to me. Salesman from dealer calls me (I asked them to email not call) while Im in the middle of a job, explain what Im looking for they tell me what they have on hand. \

I ask what "what is the height from the ground to the utility rack" and he tells me they cannot accommodate that request. I didn't say what I wanted to.
    Is a simple measurement too much of a request to ask for?
    I need to know this because Im not a big dude and want to make sure I can reach things.

I do not foresee them getting my money

Should have asked if they had tape measures. If so, then they're pretty lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Should have asked if they had tape measures. If so, then they're pretty lame.
    Would think somewhere would have one. Maybe I should mail them my coupon for Harbor Freight

lol that's a piss poor salesman, when i was selling cars i would have asked for a call back number got a tape measure and let you know asap.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

15+ Year Old Account
    I own a truck for work. ..or I used to work out of it. Knowing the height of a work truck is one of those things the owner should be familiar with. With my ladder rack im at just about 6'8", and can, and often do, have some issues fitting into a lot of commercial garages. You should know what your clearance is for any largish vehicle, hell, I would expect anybody who owns a truck with a ladder rack to at least estimate the aproximate height to with in 6" or so. It's absolutely not unreasonable to ask, especially if you tell them why you're asking.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't expect him to know the answer off the top of his head but its something he should be willing to find out. Not unreasonable at all... shop somewhere else.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Camel View Post
    I wouldn't expect him to know the answer off the top of his head but its something he should be willing to find out. Not unreasonable at all... shop somewhere else.
    If you know how tall you are, you can probably guess how tall your vehicle is by comparison.

No it's not, and the dealer is moronic for not doing that simple request. I would also needed to know so I would know if it would fit in my garage. That is just laziness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    If you know how tall you are, you can probably guess how tall your vehicle is by comparison.

While true, the OP can't exactly do that since as he said in his post, it's an out of town dealer.

@drwelfare: I would have followed up with, "so what I hear you saying is you cannot accomdate any request for specifications, measurements, etc."
    Last edited by alexkeren; 2015-08-11 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Would think somewhere would have one. Maybe I should mail them my coupon for Harbor Freight
    Then they would probably get a bad measurement, harbor freight sells shit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    It works. Is still want to hit up a home Depot or something for a tool I might actually love, but if you're low on zip ties or just last a screwdriver, it's not a bad place to go if you don't have the time to drool over tools you can't afford this month

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    While true, the OP can't exactly do that since as he said in his post, it's an out of town dealer.
    Yeah, but I mean the dealer selling it should be able to do 10 second of mental math along the lines of "I'm 5'9", ladder rack is just below eye level, which makes it around 5'6" ish"

Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    Them's fightin words.

... though I will concede that their mini flashlights are really crappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    I am in the process of shopping for a new service/utility truck, considering I work out of the thing and it serves as somewhat of an office I'm looking for certain things.
    Was speaking with a dealer out of town since local places don't respond to me. Salesman from dealer calls me (I asked them to email not call) while Im in the middle of a job, explain what Im looking for they tell me what they have on hand. \

I ask what "what is the height from the ground to the utility rack" and he tells me they cannot accommodate that request. I didn't say what I wanted to.
    Is a simple measurement too much of a request to ask for?
    I need to know this because Im not a big dude and want to make sure I can reach things.

Got a reputation for being difficult?

Business must be good if a salesman isn't interested in a sale. That or it was the owner's teenage son who's forced to work at the family business over the summer.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Not the answer given by anyone who wants the sale.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't see how it's a difficult question to answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're being lazy. They should go out of their way to earn your business.

I am in the process of shopping for a new service/utility truck

Shop online.

Find a truck you like, and go to the dealer in person with that info. (keep it general, like the base model truck)
    They are more vested into helping those that know what they want. (less work for them, and it makes you look like an easy sell)

Dealers only like to sell the generic crap they have on their lot, not custom vehicles.

If you ask for specifics, especially without going in person, they will write you off immediately as a 'no sale' and tell you to fuck off.

Because Vehicle Salesmen (new and used) are usually giant dickbags, and want to do the least amount of work possible, for the most amount of money/commission.

I wouldn't expect him to know the answer off the top of his head
    Last edited by onaldtieace; 2015-08-11 at 07:49 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    lol that's a piss poor salesman, when i was selling cars i would have asked for a call back number got a tape measure and let you know asap.
    There are soooo few decent people working sales though.