Thread: Posture

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Posture

Like a lot of people these days I sit at the computer most of the day for both work and games and I'm starting to hunch over.

Have any of you corrected your posture? How did you do it?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Like a lot of people these days I sit at the computer most of the day for both work and games and I'm starting to hunch over.

Going outside and not sitting at a computer all day is a good start. It's still the summer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you exercise regularly? If you work on your chest (pecs) that should help a lot with posture. For both males and females.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Going outside and not sitting at a computer all day is a good start. It's still the summer.
    This x1000

I used to slouch a lot, still catch myself doing so, but I just got a new desk chair and just started trying to force myself to sit more up right. It's still tough but it's getting better and the chair definitely helps.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

10+ Year Old Account
    Pilates solved it for me, but I believe any physical activity that engages your "core" (chest + back + abs) should help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do small excercises at the desk, IT-Tech support here. Remember to stretch, and adjust your seat back to give you a straight posture as well as allowing you to lean back but not too far from the screen.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes - I've corrected my posture somewhat.

Stronger core muscles are a good start (not just abs), as are exercises to strengthen your back and stretch out your chest - both those things will help open up your posture. You might also want to check with a chiropractor/osteopath if you're quite tense and hunched over. They could free up a lot of the knots and give you more mobility.

Beyond that - being aware of your posture and your seating position, correcting yourself where you can and investing in a new chair if yours isn't suitable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just try and get yourself in the habit of always being aware of your posture and correct it if needed.

7+ Year Old Account
    corrected posture? i sit with one leg under the other and lean backward to chair for support to back from chair

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vea Lea View Post
    corrected posture? i sit with one leg under the other and lean backward to chair for support to back from chair
    You'll end up looking like a flamingo.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    You'll end up looking like a flamingo.
    like a flamingo why?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well... when you work 9 hours+ a day on a computer, it's hard to avoid.

@OP: Ask your boss for a standing desk. If no, ask your boss for a knee chair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post

emmigrate. That's not even legal here.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Deleted
    you wouldn't know its summer here though, get 1 day of sun then the next 6 days are rain/cloud :\

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post

that looks really uncomfortable! i usually sit up straight and generally have good posutre, but seeing pictures of it makes it look odd!

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to have terrible posture now i have almost perfect posture. A lot of posture issues is due to your back not using your back muscles for one reason or another. Sometimes it could be you are used to relying on other muscles to sit up or your back muscles not being strong enough. What worked for me is start focusing on your back muscles more during workouts.

Dead lifts will help your lower back amazingly, If you aren't strong enough to dead lift properly try taking small weights on an incline like this

Make sure you hit your entire back and using free weights and cords will only promote good posture because you are working your balancing muscles therefore helping your posture.

Source: Fixed my own shitty posture :^)

Once a week try hitting these muscle groups [1 per category]
    Lats: Lat pulldowns, pull ups, barbell bent over rows, dumbbell one arm rows, and deadlifts.
    Spinal Erectors: Squats
    Rhomboid: barbell rows, seated rows, t-bar rows, one-arm rows and pull ups/chin ups.
    teres major: not needed but dumbell pull overs.

I recommended Squats and dead-lifts be done on separate days if possible.
    Last edited by Sickjen; 2015-08-11 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Added my routine
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

I sit close to my desk leaning back, most of the time, sometimes I hunch over but not for long periods.

Scoot your butt forward on your chair. Like, almost all the way to the edge. Don't use the back rest.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    If you want better posture go do some exercises. Asking for which sitting position is best for you posture is like asking if it's better to swallow small sharp rocks, or big round ones. It's bad idea regardless.
    This 100%

/10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    emmigrate. That's not even legal here.
    It's called an RDO schedule. I do MTWTh 9 hours, and every other Friday is 8 hours. So only a normal 40 hour work week. (44/36)

I'm also salaried, so my hours don't actually matter. If I've got a project deadline, I work until it's finished. Then when it's released, I sleep instead of going to work. Doesn't seem so terrible to me, really.