Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Let parents raise their own kids and let the childless know-it-alls gtfo!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    It's ridiculous to pretend that boys have to play with typical "boys"-toys and vice versa. There is nothing wrong with boys playing with dolls, and there is nothing wrong with girls playing with trucks etc.
    Some could argue that boys playing with male figures are actually more likely to become gay. Think about it, straight boys would play with dolls.

Yes i´m being ridiculous!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems fine to me. Anyone who complains about not knowing what to buy for their child, should pay more attention to their childs wants and needs. And if you can't figure out what to buy for a child which is not yours, maybe you should reconsider arbitrarily buy gifts for people you don't know anything about.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

cool but I don't really care.

Why isn't Target and OP restricting their child rearing crusade to their own kids? Right, corporations don't have kids.

The separation is for the benefit of the consumer as much as it's for marketing and stereotypes. Throwing them all under the "gender neutral" tag is about as helpful as removing all the labels from cans of soup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    I can't add my thoughts without some context as I'm not aware of this Target situation. It seems pretty innocent.

That said, as an educated person I don't encourage this 'gender neutral' trend in schools and public settings for children. Gender identity is a large part of growth and development and any medical professional could tell you the importance of teaching children gender roles.
    I would argue that forcing a child into a gender role would be more damaging. Gender identity certainly is a huge part of child development. I believe that the child should be able to choose their own identity, not have it forced on them.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    The fact of the matter is suicide is the #1 cause of death of gay teens. I'm not exaggerating anything. Its a fact. Telling your son he can't play with Barbies creates a hostile environment for him to grow up in because it shames him when you say "those are girl toys and you can't play with them".
    And all that will be fixed with changing signs? And now when boy with parents will walk in shop without gender signs will take barbies people wont look to it as something different? I don't see point of having such signs at first place but taking them away won't change anything. That won't magically change way how people think and behave and that won't stop suicide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unionoob View Post
    And all that will be fixed with changing signs? And now when boy with parents will walk in shop without gender signs will take barbies people wont look to it as something different? I don't see point of having such signs at first place but taking them away won't change anything. That won't magically change way how people think and behave and that won't stop suicide.
    Just because a change doesn't have an immediately apparent effect doesn't mean it never will. Honestly for something as broadly established as gender roles it's going to take a few centuries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unionoob View Post
    Its not an over night change. No social changes happen in an instant. This is a step in (imo) the right direction. The more businesses that adopt this way of thinking, the more it will be come normal. The more that happens, the less people will be judged on their toy selection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Just because a change doesn't have an immediately apparent effect doesn't mean it never will. Honestly for something as broadly established as gender roles it's going to take a few centuries.
    I would go with decades. We are faster at establishing social changes with the way social media is. Messages get spread farther and quicker than they used to. There is little excuse to not be on the pulse of social issues these days, you can't really claim that you don't know about these things since you don't have a TV or the newspaper. With smart phones and the wide spread internet access, people are nearly forced to know about social issues that are rising.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    There's been an uproar recently & threats to boycott Target over this whole gender-neutral toy section they are now doing. My thoughts on this are who really gives a fuck? So what if your boy wants to play with dolls. Are you so afraid that this will actually teach him to be a better parent than you are being now? What's the big deal if your daughter wants to play with cars? Not a damn thing is wrong with that. Seems to me that this is a step forward not backwards in Target's thinking. Any of you who are against it should take a step back and look at what the actual message is that you're sending to your kid. If you're afraid that your child is going to "turn gay" by playing with the "opposite sex's toys", hate to break it to you but all you're doing is making it a hostile environment for your child to be who he/she really is and you could be part of the high static rate of suicide among the youth in America for not having a supportive family they could come out to.
    You've missed the point of the uproar, although I do agree its mostly ridiculous. Parents are going to buy the toy for their kid they want, regardless of what it was labeled. The argument/uproar is that why did it matter if they bought a doll for their boy and it was in the girls section? Having toys sorted in this fashion makes it easier. And it was just a change that wasn't needed. But was Target pandering to the loud minority crowd. I think you've missed the argument here. People aren't afraid if their boy wants to play with a doll, they just dont think it should matter if it comes from a girls section or a neutral section. The people who do care if their boy plays with a doll aren't going to let them regardless of what the section is called.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Druover View Post
    You've missed the point of the uproar, although I do agree its mostly ridiculous. Parents are going to buy the toy for their kid they want, regardless of what it was labeled. The argument/uproar is that why did it matter if they bought a doll for their boy and it was in the girls section? Having toys sorted in this fashion makes it easier. And it was just a change that wasn't needed. But was Target pandering to the loud minority crowd. I think you've missed the argument here. People aren't afraid if their boy wants to play with a doll, they just dont think it should matter if it comes from a girls section or a neutral section. The people who do care if their boy plays with a doll aren't going to let them regardless of what the section is called.
    I think it is a bit of column A and column B.

Deleted
    I don't know one single homosexual that played with dolls...

Anyway it's a none issue, I was playing with LEGO and pretty sure that's targeted at both genders

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    And if you can't figure out what to buy for a child which is not yours, maybe you should reconsider arbitrarily buy gifts for people you don't know anything about.
    Was that serious??? Ok, I guess I won't buy a birthday present for my sons friend from school. wtf?????

I would go with decades. We are faster at establishing social changes with the way social media is. Messages get spread farther and quicker than they used to. There is little excuse to not be on the pulse of social issues these days, you can't really claim that you don't know about these things since you don't have a TV or the newspaper. With smart phones and the wide spread internet access, people are nearly forced to know about social issues that are rising.

Well. More you will rush this more more backlash you will get. Problem with this speed of information is that many and each day even more people see this as threat to there established standards and if you will try to change there way of thinking they might even get aggressive. ( I hope it's possible to understand what I meant)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

Anyway it's a none issue, I was playing with LEGO and pretty sure that's targeted at both genders
    Transgender has become quite the trend, I would think they would like to not have gender roles slapped on things to further make them feel ashamed of who they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Druover View Post
    Was that serious??? Ok, I guess I won't buy a birthday present for my sons friend from school. wtf?????
    Why the hell are you buying gifts for someone elses kid? That is rhetorical, you are free to do so. But if you ask me, you should know something about the person you are gifting. Not just randomly selecting a gender appropriate toy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I was playing with typical "girls-toys" and "boys-toys", and I am very glad that my parents let me choose by myself instead of trying to enforce some arbitrary "you should play with this, but not with this!"-rules.

Transgender has become quite the trend, I would think they would like to not have gender roles slapped on things to further make them feel ashamed of who they are.
    A trend? What?

Deleted
    What has that got to do with what I said?

Deleted
    hipsters gotta chop their dicks off

I think it is a bit of column A and column B.
    I dont think so though. The uproar isn't because Target is making the change. The uproar is that Target is succumbing to the vocal minority pressure to make the change. Social media has driven corporations to do this more and more, because one person can easily get their voice out to thousands now. Plus the fury from the SJW's is so fast and furious, that companies dont even want to go down that rout. So they are quick to comply. And people are getting sick of it.