Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Name the baby Genn, no regrets.

15+ Year Old Account
    You know, don't have any fucking secrets to worry about and it will be fine.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    Congrats! Happy to hear it.
    You will be amused to know that my lady is Jewish.

And Latina...

She can do my taxes and make me tamales

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I hope somebody somewhere in the government has some Mission Impossible type encryption devices.
    From what I understand, the government spends "billions of dollars" protecting their data, but they don't use state of the art tech defense. Sad, but true.

Breaking News: Secretary of State John Kerry is being sensible.

I'm not sure if this thread has been derailed with small topic about personal matters, but from what I've read, in the game of hackers vs encryption / security, the hackers are winning. And they aren't just winning, they are pulling away. At this point, hackers can pretty much get into any system they want. They can even hack into computers that aren't online via radio waves via TEMPEST hacks, because someone wrote a virus that modulates electromagnetic radiation emitted by the computer to transmit a signal in the air that a listening device can pick up and translate.

The government actually now must have standards for how far computers must be away from walls, how much shielding the walls, cable, and pipes have to prevent TEMPEST hacks. Of course none of those standards matter if spies get a listening device into the room.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_(codename)

TEMPEST is a National Security Agency specification and NATO certification[1][2] referring to spying on information systems through leaking emanations, including unintentional radio or electrical signals, sounds, and vibrations.[3] TEMPEST covers both methods to spy upon others and also how to shield equipment against such spying. The protection efforts are also known as emission security (EMSEC), which is a subset of communications security (COMSEC).[4]

The NSA methods for spying upon computer emissions are classified, but some of the protection standards have been released by either the NSA or the Department of Defense.[5] Protecting equipment from spying is done with distance, shielding, filtering and masking.[6] The TEMPEST standards mandate elements such as equipment distance from walls, amount of shielding in buildings and equipment, and distance separating wires carrying classified vs. unclassified materials,[5] filters on cables, and even distance and shielding between wires/equipment and building pipes. Noise can also protect information by masking the actual data.[6]

While much of TEMPEST is about leaking electromagnetic emanations, it also encompasses sounds or mechanical vibrations.[5] For example, it is possible to log a user's keystrokes using the motion sensor inside smartphones.[7] Compromising emissions are defined as unintentional intelligence-bearing signals which, if intercepted and analyzed, may disclose the information transmitted, received, handled, or otherwise processed by any information-processing equipment.[8]
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I am a Nigerian Prince with a business proposal for you.
    Where do I send my account information???

/sarc

OT: Cybersecurity is the new war front. Private Russian hackers are going after financials, Chinese hackers are going after military tech.

Remember when some kid from Texas got into Sarah Palin's private account? How? By guessing her "secret question." (The answer was GrizzlyMomma)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I'm not sure if this thread has been derailed with small topic about personal matters, but from what I've read, in the game of hackers vs encryption / security, the hackers are winning.
    It's sort of a rule in warfare. Offense always outpaces defense. Heh, full plate armor? Meet my longbow and crossbow-men.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It's sort of a rule in warfare. Offense always outpaces defense. Heh, full plate armor? Meet my longbow and crossbow-men.
    It's not how it works
    Sometimes it's offense that causes defense to catch up, sometimes it's the other way around - like in the case of plate armor, which caused many changes in the offensive tactics and weapons by being all but impervious.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It's not how it works
    Sometimes it's offense that causes defense to catch up, sometimes it's the other way around - like in the case of plate armor, which caused many changes in the offensive tactics and weapons by being all but impervious.
    And then you end up with having your Kevlar reinforced armour made useless by depleted uranium projectiles. I don't think they actually figured out a way to stop those other than asking everybody not to use them :/

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It's not how it works
    Nah, in the history of war, it's always the offensive. The defense is trying to play catch up.

Maginot Line? Oh shit, Germany drove around it. Fast forward a couple decades, and any nation's tanks could have one-shot those German tanks. Still can,. actually, with each other's modern tanks.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maginot Line? Oh shit, Germany drove around it.
    That's offense playing catch-up at its finest. Maginot line was the shit until
    Fast forward a couple decades, and any nation's tanks could have one-shot those German tanks.
    Tanks are not defensive in nature. Tank's Armor evolves constantly and weapons need to catch up to penetrate it. You cannot just shoot a missile at the tank - the missile will get shot down by Active Defense System.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Nah, in the history of war, it's always the offensive. The defense is trying to play catch up.

Maginot Line? Oh shit, Germany drove around it. Fast forward a couple decades, and any nation's tanks could have one-shot those German tanks. Still can,. actually, with each other's modern tanks.
    I dunno, the Challenger 2 tank is pretty much impervious. Since the tank was put into production in 1993, the only time that one was damaged beyond repair was when it got hit by friendly fire from another Challenger 2 in Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I dunno, the Challenger 2 tank is pretty much impervious. Since the tank was put into production in 1993, the only time that one was damaged beyond repair was when it got hit by friendly fire from another Challenger 2 in Iraq.
    In other words, its offense beats its own defense?

And then you end up with having your Kevlar reinforced armour made useless by depleted uranium projectiles. I don't think they actually figured out a way to stop those other than asking everybody not to use them :/
    The problem there is eventually we develop several technologies that everyone agrees should be banned from warfare. But apply that attitude to 5000 years of history and eventually there will be 1 civilization that arises that is totally ruthless, ignores all the bans, and conquers all. Its like, in trying to avoid the worst outcome, you actually set it up!
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The problem there is eventually we develop several technologies that everyone agrees should be banned from warfare. But apply that attitude to 5000 years of history and eventually there will be 1 civilization that arises that is totally ruthless, ignores all the bans, and conquers all. Its like, in trying to avoid the worst outcome, you actually set it up!
    We already did. The US can deploy nuclear weapons anywhere in the world in 30 minutes. I'd assume Russia and China can do similar.

In other words, its offense beats its own defense?
    More like its software beat its own defense. But, in theory, having the only offense capable of taking your defense out is the best strategy.

We already did. The US can deploy nuclear weapons anywhere in the world in 30 minutes. I'd assume Russia and China can do similar.
    China probably can't (but they could probably get into the Pentagon and attack the US that way), the British probably could come close, the Russians have half their nuclear sub fleet slowly dissolving in a fjord next to the Kola peninsula.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2015-08-15 at 11:33 AM.

More like its software beat its own defense. But, in theory, having the only offense capable of taking your defense out is the best strategy.
    That was my point, really. Cyberwarfare is the new front. If software on offense is beating its own software on defense, that's exactly what I'm saying.

10+ Year Old Account

Dang they have siege weapons, better build walls that can be knocked down by siege weapons!

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Dang they have siege weapons, better build walls that can be knocked down by siege weapons!

Nope
    Build an anti-missile system that destroys the siege weapon missiles

Then they will design technology that makes the missiles invisible to your detection system

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at Hillary's email problem I think he needs to write them assuming the GOP reads them.