Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by THoyt View Post
    Sounds to me like they charged you €50 for an estimate -- which is extremely common for contractors in the US and EU. Coming from a construction background, I can attest that any roof repair (even DIY) will cost more than €50, even for a small fix. Materials alone are far more than that. Tiles/shingles, felt or iceguard and sheeting would run you into the hundreds plus labor. It's not as simple as just replacing a single tile. If your roof is leaking, there's more damage than just a broken tile.

I'm not siding with the contractors, they possibly could have been a little more clear with you, but surely you couldn't have expected a leaking area on your roof to cost €50?
    I supplied the title. They only replaced the title, not the board beneath it. That's all the fix, removing a title and putting a new one with my materials.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    What if they attacked him?
    That would've been really stupid of them, because then he would've had a legitimate reason to call police and send them to jail for assault and robbery.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

1) never hire door to door people without looking into their business first

2) WRITTEN ESTIMATE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by THoyt View Post
    Sounds to me like they charged you €50 for an estimate -- which is extremely common for contractors in the US and EU. Coming from a construction background, I can attest that any roof repair (even DIY) will cost more than €50, even for a small fix. Materials alone are far more than that. Tiles/shingles, felt or iceguard and sheeting would run you into the hundreds plus labor. It's not as simple as just replacing a single tile. If your roof is leaking, there's more damage than just a broken tile.

I'm not siding with the contractors, they possibly could have been a little more clear with you, but surely you couldn't have expected a leaking area on your roof to cost €50?
    They only replaced said title in the end though for what I agreed. I supplied the title. The plank beneath the title was not replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    They only replaced said title in the end though for what I agreed. I supplied the title. The plank beneath the title was not replaced.
    Do you own this property?

Yes? Get insurance to cover this shit.
    No? Hi, landlord, here's a bill.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    no, you were not scammed, you were extorted. there is a huge difference.

you should of put your foot down and told them to sod off. if you think they were going to harm you with their tools, phone the cops.

you do sound like a pussy, you will need to get used to the world walking all over you like this.
    how can people survive this far into life and still be this hapless?

tip: if you are going to own a house, you need to learn to fix basic shit like a hole in the roof.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Yes? Get insurance to cover this shit.
    I'm pretty sure insurance doesn't cover a broken tile, as it is normal deterioration in an aging house.

Unless you have insurance that covers absolutely everything you could imagine - which probably costs absurd amounts annually.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    tip: if you are going to own a house, you need to learn to fix basic shit like a hole in the roof.
    Fuck that. Don't have time.

I have insurance and the ability to make people know I won't be messed with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I'm pretty sure insurance doesn't cover a broken tile, as it is normal deterioration in an aging house.
    Mine does. Got an entire re-roofing for broken slate tiles because of hail damage a couple years ago. 50 year warranty and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    Being able to walk on a 45° slope with nothing to hold onto that has an unsecured sheer 20 foot drop at the edge should not need to be a requirement for owning a house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Being able to walk on a 45° slope with nothing to hold onto that has an unsecured sheer 20 foot drop at the edge should not need to be a requirement for owning a house.
    It should be a requirement for being an adult.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Hopefully you learned a lesson.
    ^ This. Seriously, you don't sound like the kind of person to be making decisions judging by this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Your definition of adulthood probably counts about 95% of the population out then.

And refusing to learn this very simple skill is the same as inviting stupidity like this to happen to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mine does. Got an entire re-roofing for broken slate tiles because of hail damage a couple years ago. 50 year warranty and all.
    Keyword: hail damage. That's not wear and tear, that's an accident.

Insurance covers the damage caused by a leak, but not the leak itself. Fixing the leak is part of basic maintenance of a house.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your definition of adulthood probably counts about 95% of the population out then.
    Yeah, most people are just big babies.

Let's play a different game. Grab a pan from a 375F oven barehanded because god damn I can't find a dry towel. Once you've played that game, we can talk about my fear of heights.

- - - Updated - - -

Keyword: hail damage. That's not wear and tear, that's an accident.

Insurance covers the damage caused by a leak, but not the leak itself. Fixing the leak is part of basic maintenance of a house.
    I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to make. The leak was caused by the hail damage.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    It is the only thing you can do at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

For small maintenance it often isn't done because usually you pay them under the table so they can do it cheaper. Most of the time it works out ok.
    No that's not how it's done. You always get an invoice from them, that's called being an adult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's play a different game. Grab a pan from a 375F oven barehanded because god damn I can't find a dry towel. Once you've played that game, we can talk about my fear of heights.
    Why so picky on the dry towels? it can be anything... did it multiple times.
    And the only way to fight fears is to face them. Especially the irrational ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    No that's not how it's done. You always get an invoice from them, that's called being an adult.
    And when you have an invoice, you can claim the tax paid back on your tax return.

- - - Updated - - -

Why so picky on the dry towels? it can be anything... did it multiple times.
    And the only way to fight fears is to face them. Especially the irrational ones.
    Dry towels insulate, wet towels do not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Let's play a different game. Grab a pan from a 375F oven barehanded because god damn I can't find a dry towel.
    Iron chef!

I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to make. The leak was caused by the hail damage.
    You don't understand the difference between maintenance costs and accidents?

Insurance covers accidents (hail damage), but it doesn't cover basic maintenance costs (broken tile due to wear and tear). It might cover accidents caused by neglecting maintenance, but not the maintenance itself. Aka, it covers the damage caused by the leaking water, but not the fixing of the leak.