Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Recommendations for what to watch on Netflix

Since I got Netflix around Christmas, I've scarcely watched regular TV - the only exceptions are Game of Thrones and True Detective - there's just so much good stuff on Netflix. And being able to watch it when you want, without adverts, is a big plus.

What things have people enjoyed on Netflix? I'm in the UK - I understand the US and elsewhere may have different offerings.

These are some of the stuff I've enjoyed (in roughly descending order):

Orange is the New Black - I adore this series; set in a women's prison so not a barrel of laughs but still manages to be fun and life affirming (it's not Oz). Very interesting cast of characters, most being various shades of grey, neither all good nor all bad.

Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul - BB may be the best TV show since The Wire, story-telling at its finest; BCS was a decent spin-off.

The Bridge - arguably a conventional "odd couple" detective show, but brilliantly done with the unusual feature of having an autistic detective at the centre.

Sense8 - a new take on the tired superhero genre, wonderfully inventive and admirably "diverse" (societies & genders).

The Killing (US) - rather like the Bridge, again with a very watchable "odd couple" of detectives at its heart.

Firefly - sci-fi as good as fans say it is, although rather "light" in both tone and, sadly, duration.

Borgia - the canal+ one, not Showtime. Very rich historical drama, full of intrigue, cruelty and rather distasteful personalities. A sort of broadly historical Game of Thrones.

Marco Polo - the Chinese setting is relatively unusual (to a Western audience) and so welcome; some impressive acting (esp. Kublai Khan and his nemesis, the cricket minister). Just don't talk about foot binding, shudder.

Top Boy - Kublak Khan's actor pops up again, equally menacing; decent and earthy British drama about kids and criminals, felt a little cut short (not extended for a third season?).

Luther - batshit crazy detective show; has the charismatic Idris Elba in the lead, which is the main attraction, but becomes a little too horrific for my tastes after the first season. (Had to switch off at one point - just like a Daily Telegraph reviewer).

Arrested Development - ironically my original motivation for getting Netflix, as the last series was a Netflix exclusive, but perhaps my least favorite thing I've watched on it. The last season just could not match the originals (possibly the funniest comedy I've seen) for quality - extending the time may have contributed (for comedy, shorter is usually better), as did separating the cast, but the tone also seems to have changed, becoming more downbeat.

What have I not watched on Netflix that I should?

Did you watch Daredevil? It's only 13 episodes (or 12?).

Signature Created by Jassinta

Yeah Daredevil. Agents of SHIELD is soooo good. Peaky Blinders (1920s gangsters in Birmingham, England). Sherlock. House of Cards. I'm a big travel show fan so I really liked Anthony Bourdain's stuff. Hell on Wheels if you like Westerns.
    Last edited by Dwarfhamster; 2015-08-12 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Adding a few more shows

10+ Year Old Account
    ARCHER! It's TOO fucking funny.

If you liked Firefly try Battlestar Galactica, it's heavier in both tone and duration .

Also worth checking out Buffy, because it's AWESOME.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I'm a fan of Lillehammer (netflix only) as well as some other stuff mentioned in the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm a huge advocate for Sherlock, episodes are like an hour and a half each, but there are only 3 episodes per seasons, and 3 seasons overall. Other than that I like Daredevil, Agents of Shield, Doctor Who and Heroes.Supernatural was pretty good too, but there is ALOT to catch up on - also the other CW shows like Arrow, The 100 and Flash are really good.

Doctor Who is one of my favorite shows.
    Last edited by Zandro; 2015-08-12 at 11:15 PM.

*skims the list*

You'd probably like Dexter, given what I'm seeing here.

Possibly House of Cards.

Daredevil is great. Though I think Sherlock is on Netflix and it's a great watch too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    ARCHER! It's TOO fucking funny.

If you liked Firefly try Battlestar Galactica, it's heavier in both tone and duration .

Also worth checking out Buffy, because it's AWESOME.
    Is buffy back on there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Is buffy back on there?
    It is on UK Netflix, not sure about the rest of the world.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Stargate atlantis isn't half bad for your scifi fix.

Heroes is also on there

For more 'dark humor' Fargo the TV series is also good.

My Recommendations:
    House of Cards, Dexter,
    action: Person of Interest, 24,
    Crime: The Mentalist, Castle
    comedy: Silicon Valley, Parks and Recreation(doesnt really find its legs till the 2nd season though)

Deleted
    I would add Orphan Black to that list. A really really good show!

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Is buffy back on there?
    Just checked. Buffy is on Netflix, yes.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shows to watch

1. Doctor Who - Totally biased, but this show is freakin awesome.
    2. Dexter - 2nd best pay tv series ever made.
    3. 30 rock - Best comedy show ever.
    4. Archer - best animated show ever.
    5. Buffy - excellent show.
    6. Clone wars - strong 3d(?) show.
    7. Daredevil - best comic book tv show ever.

That is all for now...
    You cared enough to post.

Well... I just started watching The Fuzz. I'm not sure if it's brilliant or ridiculous. Possibly both.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Dexter
    Fringe (One of my favorite shows ever)
    Daredevil

House of Cards in 4K is just wicked good fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    -Stonehearst Asylum (movie). A must watch. One of the best movies I've seen this year.
    -Defiance (movie)
    -Arrow (tv series)
    -The Walking Dead (tv series). Has up to season 4 now.
    -Sherlock (tv series)

Can't think of many right now but those you need to watch.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2015-08-13 at 10:07 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    It is on UK Netflix, not sure about the rest of the world.
    I use -snip- to bypass this bullshit, free chrome vpn
    quite useful
    Last edited by mmocaf2cfee3ee; 2015-08-13 at 10:36 PM.