Question Demon hunter - requirement?

So night elves and blood elves will be the races that can become demon hunters.

Fair enough. I remember how it was with death knights, but that provides no guarantees.

I've not had the time to go through all of the announcement footage, though I have seen some.

1. Did anyone say that you would need an existing max-level ELF character? If not,
    2. Will you be able to start an elvish demon hunter, provided you have a max level character of some OTHER race?

I'd prefer someone to say "yes, [name] said..." or "nobody said..." rather than "I think..."

Thanks, folks.

Deleted
    It's likely you'll need a level 95-100 of any class / race.

Doesn't make sense to force you to have a max level elf.

more details are blizzcon
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Blizzard hasn't given out any prerequisites for rolling a demon hunter. Given that they'll be giving out lvl-100 boosts with Legion, I doubt there will be any requirement at all, let alone one restricted by race.

In other words, it doesn't matter what level or race your other characters are.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anybody has come out to say what the actual requirements may be, but even when death knights were a new thing, you didn't have to delete an existing character to create the new class and blizzard has just made things more accessible over time. It will be very unlikely that you will have any requirement other than having purchased the expansion.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jlrm365 View Post

Fair enough. I remember how it was with death knights, but that provides no guarantees.

I've not had the time to go through all of the announcement footage, though I have seen some.

1. Did anyone say that you would need an existing max-level ELF character? If not,
    2. Will you be able to start an elvish demon hunter, provided you have a max level character of some OTHER race?

I'd prefer someone to say "yes, [name] said..." or "nobody said..." rather than "I think..."

Thanks, folks.
    No confirmations, but I think it will be the same as the Death Knights, requiring an X level character (the Demon Hunter's starting level, most likely, or level 100) to create a Demon Hunter.
    Signature and matching avatar made by the lovely Winter Blossom.
    Hellfire Citadel Progression: 13/13 LFR, 12/13 Normal, 7/13 Heroic, 0/13 Mythic

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    It's likely you'll need a level 95-100 of any class / race.

Doesn't make sense to force you to have a max level elf.
    There is zero reason to have this requirement as Legion will most likely come with a level 100 boost. If the requirement is given as part of the expansion purchase, why even have it as a requirement?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    There is zero reason to have this requirement as Legion will most likely come with a level 100 boost. If the requirement is given as part of the expansion purchase, why even have it as a requirement?
    Most people already have 100s. The boost is just to get that one alt you abandoned in Outland up to speed.

You get a 90 boost for buying WoD but DK still requires a level 55 afaik. I feel like Blizzard will put the requirement in just to trick new players into not rolling DH as their first character, thus forcing them to go through the patronising boost quest chain on a different class.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDracon View Post
    Blizzard hasn't given out any prerequisites
    Thanks to those who gave the same - definitive - answer.

I consider the original post answered.

Quote Originally Posted by jlrm365 View Post

Thanks, folks.
    Well since its a hero class, i reckon there would be a level requirement kinda like how Death Knights have a level 55 requirement but you don't have to have a max-level Elf character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirathiel View Post
    Well since its a hero class, i reckon there would be a level requirement kinda like how Death Knights have a level 55 requirement but you don't have to have a max-level Elf character.
    I'm pretty sure they got rid of the level requirement for death knights.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Most people already have 100s. The boost is just to get that one alt you abandoned in Outland up to speed.

You get a 90 boost for buying WoD but DK still requires a level 55 afaik. I feel like Blizzard will put the requirement in just to trick new players into not rolling DH as their first character, thus forcing them to go through the patronising boost quest chain on a different class.
    WotLK did not come with a level boost, so the level requirement for DK made sense. Since Legion does, the only reason for a level requirement would be what you explained, which isn't a very good reason since the DH intro should already show you how to use your DH abilities.

they havent said any specifics on requirements to make a demon hunter, but the idea of only allowing people who previously played elf characters to play demon hunters is laughable

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    WotLK did not come with a level boost, so the level requirement for DK made sense. Since Legion does, the only reason for a level requirement would be what you explained, which isn't a very good reason since the DH intro should already show you how to use your DH abilities.
    The level 90 boost 'training quests' are next-level patronising. I honestly think that they will have a very bad choice on their hands with DH

They either:
    1) Dumb down the starting area for everyone, which would suck ass if it's anything like the WoD boosts because holy shit they are lame
    2) Dumb down the starting area for just those with a character below 95-100, probably the best choice of doing things, but might interfere with certain quests
    3) Don't dumb down the starting area at all and risk confusing new players.

I think DK worked because it was at level 55. You didn't have to deal with a tonne of new abilities because you were only level 55-58. You still had 22-25 levels to go.

DH starting at ~95 for a new player is bad - you'd expect 20-odd abilities to be keybound by the time you're out of the starting zone, otherwise people would complain the class doesn't feel fleshed out. Most classes, by the time they get to level 100, have at least 2 bars full of abilities that you need to keybind.

I'm just wondering how they're going to handle new players getting access to the class.