Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Changing society

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...pton-interview

Ice Cube says the police are bullies. How do we change America's culture so there will be more compassion and kindness?

I can't say that I have a favorable view of capitalism. Eliminating or reducing greed will help society a lot.

I would end the drug war immediately.

I would fund more education and job training programs in areas like Compton.

And if necessary I would confiscate all firearms in that area.

Sanders 2016!

Honestly I think a lot of the "fuck the police" mentality has to do with the war on drugs, and if that were justifiably put to an end, we'd see a lot more cooperation between police and civilians. A lot of people are upset with the police for this reason because they feel they're being pathetically harassed for what they chose to do in their own privacy, at least in my experience.

I live in a little suburb about half an hour outside the city of Chicago. It's your average middle class suburbia. It also has one of the largest police forces in the surrounding area, and very little criminal action. The other month for the final Grateful Dead show, I took a train ride into the city to check it out. On that Sunday night at approximately 11:30 pm, I was walking home from from the train station in the next town over, about a half hour walk. I decided to take this extra walk because coming from the Grateful Dead concert, I was of course tripping balls. I also happened to have 3 more hits of acid in my wallet and a few xanax bars, which are not prescribed to me, that I was thankfully smart enough to hide in my underwear.

Well, on my lovely stroll home, I was about 10 minutes away when the 5-0 cruise past me in the opposite direction. I thought no problem, I'm just a young kid walking home in a tye dye shirt and a backpack, no crime being committed here. I don't even look back but next thing I know I see the headlights behind me and I turn around to see the cop pulled up to the curb behind me already out of her car. I simply ask 'Is there a problem officer?' very calm and politely even though I was scared shitless with what I was up to. And shes got the nerve to say, 'No, not yet.' At this point I'm a little angry she thinks shes gonna take me no problem, but I just play it cool and when she asks where I'm headed I tell her home. She asks for an ID and I gladly oblige for her to see I'm headed in the direction I said I was and that I was 18 so curfew was irrelevant.

But at the same time without realizing I was getting a little defensive maybe because she was shining the flashlight in my eyes and could tell I was tripping but I knew that was no grounds to arrest me, so at some point, I think I when I said 'I'm just headed home' I must've said it a little angrily because she said 'Hey, don't take that tone with me (like shes my mother or something), I'm just out here trying to do my job; I got people breaking into houses, breaking into cars, etc etc I just have to make sure everything is okay.'

So that just made me think, fuck you, no that isn't what you're looking at me for. That was the shit that really pissed me off because when she rolled up on me she knew EXACTLY what she was about to get herself into, she knew exactly what she was looking for, you could tell by her immediately shining her light in my eyes. In my town at least the cops simply bank off the fact that they can just come up on any kid and search them for drugs and most of the time, they DO get you because lots of drugs go around this town. And I'm sure it's like this in many areas and the younger people especially feel they're being targeted by cops looking to make an easy arrest off simple drug possession.

Oh and for anyone wondering how I got away with it (I did btw), I just had to set aside my emotion and play the bitch like a violin. When she pointed out I was being 'rude', I gave her exactly what she wanted, to be sucked up to, and said in the most ass kissing voice 'you're right, I'm sorry, I understand, here would you like to search me? here I have nothing to hide you can have it all' and proceeded to take everything out of my pockets, empty the empty backpack, and lay everything out on the street while laughing my ass off to make her know I know she ain't got shit on me even though I'm tripping shes rollin back to the station with an empty back seat cause she ain't catchin me slippin.

nuh uh
    Last edited by Neyze; 2015-08-16 at 07:45 AM.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

Deleted
    I'll promise you anything as long as you vote for me!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    I can't say that I have a favorable view of capitalism. Eliminating or reducing greed will help society a lot.
    never going to happen. which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

America's "War on drugs" is one of the major problems. As it effectively became a 'war on poor people'.

I am actually very anti-drug; I do think America needs to hit the issue hard. However the profiteering which flourished in the wake of the policy is one of the great American injustices I feel.

Capitalism kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by cric View Post
    never going to happen. which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Any system of human governance that requires the rewriting of human psychology and foibles is pretty much DOA. "Greed", via a vis the desire to achieve and to secure one's hierarchy of needs before worrying about the rest, isn't something that other humans are competent or, indeed, invited to try to program out of them.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    America's "War on drugs" is one of the major problems. As it effectively became a 'war on poor people'.

I am actually very anti-drug; I do think America needs to hit the issue hard. However the profiteering which flourished in the wake of the policy is one of the great American injustices I feel.

Capitalism kinda sucks.

huh? the war on drugs doesn't have anything to do with capitalism, and nor does ronald regan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neyze View Post
    Oh and for anyone wondering how I got away with it (I did btw), I just had to set aside my emotion and play the bitch like a violin. When she pointed out I was being 'rude', I gave her exactly what she wanted, to be sucked up to, and said in the most ass kissing voice 'you're right, I'm sorry, I understand, here would you like to search me? here I have nothing to hide you can have it all' and proceeded to take everything out of my pockets, empty the empty backpack, and lay everything out on the street while laughing my ass off to make her know I know she ain't got shit on me even though I'm tripping shes rollin back to the station with an empty back seat cause she ain't catchin me slippin.

nuh uh
    This is the problem right here. Your attitude. Let me in you a little secret that will take you far in life. No matter how much scat you take to the face. Always... and I mean ALWAYS be a nice guy and co-operate. You want to know why? That's because we humans always remember how others treat us but we never remember how we treat other. It's a sad fact but that's just the way it is and if you want to make peace with world then you should be above it and treat everyone the way you wish to be treated, no matter what. Also drop the whole "I outsmarted that bitch" attitude. This is exactly why you guys are at each other throat all the time. Always trying to turn bloody everything into a me>you competition. Always going on on how the world is out to get you.

This whole ordeal you wrote would've been so much easier on you if you drop that sass.
    Last edited by mmocac96309fe0; 2015-08-16 at 02:38 PM.

Deleted
    Over here, police are pretty tolerant towards drug use, as long as you don't cause any trouble, use in public area's or are selling, they won't even stop you to check up, and when they do its mostly because they're worried that you might cause damage to yourself or others.

We have parties where 90% of the people is either high, drunk or flippin on xtc and coke, yet these type of arties rarely get huge attention from the police.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the way drugs get handled here, because the Antwerp harbor alledgedly has 60-70% of all smuggled drug traffic in Europe, if our police force would start a war on drugs, this city would soon become one big warzone.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Any system of human governance that requires the rewriting of human psychology and foibles is pretty much DOA. "Greed", via a vis the desire to achieve and to secure one's hierarchy of needs before worrying about the rest, isn't something that other humans are competent or, indeed, invited to try to program out of them.
    It really reads as if you know what you´re talking. Of course it doesn´t make any sense whatsoever.

If it´s only a psychological thing then it´s all about treatment. So indeed, people can be reprogrammed to not be greedy. But you don´t even have to go that far. If a system is in place that doesn´t favour greed, people will stop being greedy, because they won´t get anything out of it. People also choose greed, it´s nothing you´re born with that will always be there. It´s comparable to crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

What if I told you that just because something is a facet of human psychology, that doesn't mean it is aberrant, abnormal, or wrong? Doesn't need treatment, working as intended?

Deleted
    Trump all the way!

I would fund more education and job training programs in areas like Compton.
    There is essentially no evidence that this will work at all. Staggering amounts of resources have been thrown at cities (see Baltimore for a great example) with the goal being education, and the outcomes seem to be basically the same as prior to throwing crazy amounts of resources at educational systems. I think it's hard to show that Arnold Kling's null hypothesis is wrong:

In education, the null hypothesis is that nothing makes a long-term, scalable, replicable difference. That is:

1. Take any pedagogical innovation or educational intervention.

2. Subject it to a controlled experiment.

3. Evaluate the experiment’s outcome several years later.

4. If the experiment works, attempt to replicate the experiment in more situations.

By the time you reach step 4, if not sooner, you will be unable to show that the innovation makes any difference in outcomes. What this suggests to me is that in the long run it is the characteristics of the students that determine outcomes, at least on average. Think of an individual student as “predestined” to reach a certain outcome. An educational intervention can disturb their path to the predestined outcome but will not change the outcome. I do not literally believe this model, but it is a null hypothesis that is difficult to disprove.
    We can all agree that trying to improve local education is a good idea and that cultures that shift in that direction are more likely to succeed, but I don't see any reason to believe that throwing additional federal money at already highly funded systems will improve outcomes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny how people so desperately want to change society. The people complaining are sitting around typing their political views over an mmo chat forum. Makes me wonder what kind of people they are in the real world. Especially when some people posting in the general off topic have my little pony avatars, LOL.
    Last edited by One-Eyed Jack; 2015-08-16 at 06:56 PM.

1. Ice Cube says the police are bullies. How do we change America's culture so there will be more compassion and kindness?

2. I can't say that I have a favorable view of capitalism. Eliminating or reducing greed will help society a lot.

3. And if necessary I would confiscate all firearms in that area.
    1. Ice Cube is a has been who has to pimp the anti-cop rhetoric because he cant handle being a real Black leader by telling Blacks that the ghetto banger lifestyle he spent a career glorifying is the real problem.

2. People who cant hack it in life often buy into the anti-capitalism scam instead of improving their standing in society.

3. Who's going to confiscate them? The police? Would the police are going to go door to door invading privacy, looking in peoples cars, stopping and frisking? So you would create the very bully sentiment you're bitching about?
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Capitalism kinda sucks.
    KMFDM, WWIII

I don't feel like finding a video or lyrics, but there you go.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

7+ Year Old Account
    CmdrShep,

Perhaps you should focus on how you can change yourself and become a better person that thrives without needing to change others to suit your desires.

What does Bernie have to do with cheerleaders?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Pfft, as if Ice Cube has any sort of authority on the matter. Especially when his music back in the late 80's, early 90's only glorified gang culture along with Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre and N.W.A to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Pfft, as if Ice Cube has any sort of authority on the matter. Especially when his music back in the late 80's, early 90's only glorified gang culture along with Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre and N.W.A to name a few.
    Dre, Cube, and Snoop are making more money than either of us.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.