Thread: Affliction AOE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaman View Post
    Nobody is saying Affliction's AoE should be 'top-notch'. But it should at least be functional and have a reason to be on your actiion bar.
    sure but you're not the only spec, you can probably find this problem in every class.

hurricane for balance.

shocks and killing low hp targets for elemental.

i like to thing of it as niches, but yeh maybe you can call it utter failure and pointlessness for these specs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptolemay View Post
    problem i see is that SB:haunt and Soulswap dont really work together because u might get shard starved due to bad rng and loose more dps than if u didnt swap at all...its wierd and doesnt feel like it promotes any smart gameplay, totally down to rng if swaping is worth it or not =/
    problem is that you dont really use soulswap at all due to shard starvation, at this point in time soulswap and seed could easily be removed without any real dps loss. i feel they could easily make mannoroth's fury into a talent that would change soul swaps cost or ability, so it would be worth using, something like giving soul swap charges or have it spread dots like pestilence did and still cost a shard bcoz another problem with soul swap is that you only save 1 gcd pr use and with a cost of a shard that gain is way too low.

Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    problem is that you dont really use soulswap at all due to shard starvation, at this point in time soulswap and seed could easily be removed without any real dps loss. i feel they could easily make mannoroth's fury into a talent that would change soul swaps cost or ability, so it would be worth using, something like giving soul swap charges or have it spread dots like pestilence did and still cost a shard bcoz another problem with soul swap is that you only save 1 gcd pr use and with a cost of a shard that gain is way too low.
    Interesting idea. If Soul Swap was on a charge system instead of costing Shards, say 2 charges, the talent could take the cooldown and charges away giving you infinite Soul Swaps at the cost of an extra DS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Or, they'll endlessly buff/nerf the specs so we never have a decent artifact because we keep investing in the 'wrong' one.
    That's the spirit. I fully expect some spec power swing a few weeks into the expansion that means I've invested my time / biggest upgrade into the "wrong" artifact.

I really wonder how they'll cope with the 3rd specs one. I mean, presuming you run demo / aff, you won't be able to work on destruction's artifact, right? So are you forced to respec every week to get / work on the destruction one to keep it relevant, or is the catchup mechanism such that you can catch up on as much progress in the one week destro inevitably receives it's buff, that not doing a respec each week isn't a disadvantage?

I really can't wait to see how they manage to figure this one out without limiting the system's strengths / enjoyability by trying to cater to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    I don't want infinite SS'ing back, even if people say it's not a problem since snapshotting is gone. I think it was the most asinine gameplay we've ever had, possibly worse than SB spam, though I'm not sure about that. I really hated it though.

I'd really rather they just removed the shard cost from Soul Swap and gave it 2 charges or something. It should be a cleave / burst aid, not eclipsing every other ability in AOE.

As for general AOE, I really don't mind affliction being weak. I think they could do a lot better than they currently are, pretty sure I remember SOC being relatively useful back in things like Hyjaal, so it wasn't always trash (unless I was just casting it out of novelty).

Or hey, we could just axe the soulshards as part of our primary rotation and go back to WOTLK / Cata affliction, then make SB:SOC hit hard, you'd get 4 heavy hitting seeds for "burst" aoe and be throttled by shards to prevent it being crazy sustained AOE in the nonexistant scenario Jess mentioned.
    Last edited by mmoc1571eb5575; 2015-08-20 at 04:11 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Or hey, we could just axe the soulshards as part of our primary rotation and go back to WOTLK / Cata affliction, then make SB:SOC hit hard, you'd get 4 heavy hitting seeds for "burst" aoe and be throttled by shards to prevent it being crazy sustained AOE in the nonexistant scenario Jess mentioned.
    yeah, and afflic would only be played by the nostalgic players(which is prolly a waste minority) that plays it due to the novelty of it, realizing deep down that it wasnt as good as they remembered it to be.

either way, i feel that they have to commit to something. either make afflic stronger/easier for multudotting and keep the weak aoe or keep the current soul swap but make the aoe stronger, one or the other, the current system isnt working. currently afflic's only niche is single target dps first and weak multidotting a far 2nd.

10+ Year Old Account
    We might see something like this in Legion:

Artifact_wl_affl_trait_01 - Soulswap no longer costs a Soul Shard

Artifact_wl_affl_trait_06 - Seed of Corruptions detonation now applies it´s damage every second for 5 seconds

I would be happy with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    That's the spirit. I fully expect some spec power swing a few weeks into the expansion that means I've invested my time / biggest upgrade into the "wrong" artifact.

I really wonder how they'll cope with the 3rd specs one. I mean, presuming you run demo / aff, you won't be able to work on destruction's artifact, right? So are you forced to respec every week to get / work on the destruction one to keep it relevant, or is the catchup mechanism such that you can catch up on as much progress in the one week destro inevitably receives it's buff, that not doing a respec each week isn't a disadvantage?

I really can't wait to see how they manage to figure this one out without limiting the system's strengths / enjoyability by trying to cater to the problem.
    I actually have this feeling that we'll see Tri-spec implemented, with DHs only having 2 specs, people will see fit to complain that it's 'unfair' that they can have "all" their specs unlocked, but other classes can't. It's really hard to argue that point, even coming from someone like me who'd be against it.

I actually have this feeling that we'll see Tri-spec implemented, with DHs only having 2 specs, people will see fit to complain that it's 'unfair' that they can have "all" their specs unlocked, but other classes can't. It's really hard to argue that point, even coming from someone like me who'd be against it.
    I would welcome a tri-spec option with open arms. Hearthing out mid-raid to respec is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    affliction isn't supposed to aoe, check destro/demo see how their aoe is top fucking notch, no point in giving affliction amazing spread target and aoe that's a thing called overpowered.
    Nowadays, aoe is a thing that most people would call functionality. The OP said he wanted to kill the weak little spiders in Ashran, which isn't something that requires a lot of dps output. Functional aoe and top of the dps charts aoe are two different things, but SoC is neither of those.

Deleted
    That. Affliction's AOE seems to be a combination of everything bad you can give to AOE. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for affliction to have useful aoe. It doesn;t have to be outstanding. Just good enough to be worth using.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    That. Affliction's AOE seems to be a combination of everything bad you can give to AOE. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for affliction to have useful aoe. It doesn;t have to be outstanding. Just good enough to be worth using.
    Because of the dot tax. (I made it up)

I think some kind of mechanic built in to spread our dots as easily as unholy DK's do would be worth looking into. Maybe something that just spreads one of the dots or something, not necessarily something that spreads every one.

Deleted
    Like soulburn seed of corruption. Only not shit.

I really do like th eidea of a target with seed of corruption sending out waves of damage over time.

It's really not OP (so long as you can only have one active), it fits with the whole ethos of affliction, and it's not bad for PVP - afflicted players would need to move away from others.

Seed of Corruption as a pulsating aoe DoT does sound nice and fits the affl theme

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptolemay View Post
    Seed of Corruption as a pulsating aoe DoT does sound nice and fits the affl theme
    Yes, it should pulsate when you malefic grasp the seed of corruption target.
    sarcasm just in case if nobody understands

Good point. Altough I don't get why you would be against tri spec, the only thing that's keeping us from having our specs changing by the press of a button out of combat is the ride to orgrimmar (not to mention it's kinda annoying with a bar-saving-addon).
    (and honestly there are so many items that teleport you to SW/orgri nowadays, might as well remove specs and turn it into a system like glyphs where you can just swap it out of combat, regardless of how many specs you have.
    made by Shyama

They really need to just add splash damage to at least one of our DoTs (much like the old Unholy DK's dots if you remember those days). IMO: Do this to Corruption....on tick deals 10% of the damage dealt to nearby targets, or something like that.

Vs only a few targets, this would be weak...but it would ramp up in power the more mobs there as (as they would all be hitting one another), and it would be hard to abuse on a boss so long as it's not a boss with mass adds (in which case they would probably find a reason to not make it hit the boss).

So basically this would make Locks want to use an empowered SoC to spread corruption to everything, then drain soul a primary target (to cause theirs to pulsate more frequently).
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or they could just revert Affliction to 4.3 when it was actually enjoyable and had good AoE.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanariya View Post
    Or they could just revert Affliction to 4.3 when it was actually enjoyable and had good AoE.
    thats only your opinion tho, personally i didnt find it enjoyable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanariya View Post
    Did affliction have aoe back then? I do not remember that.