Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Just no. The Chicxulub asteroid impact was about a couple million times more powerful than the Tsar Bomba (the biggest nuke ever detonated).
    So... when we detonate thousands of those?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Thousands is less than millions.

10+ Year Old Account
    The USSR built three Tzar Bomb casings. They detonated one, at 1/3 of capacity if memory serves me. The effect scared them enough that they closed down the project and put the remaining (empty) casings in a museum. And yes, while it was significantly more powerful than any other nuclear device built, that was a firecracker compared to the Cretaeous XT event. Most remaining nukes in the world are smaller, conventional ones that are of more "use".

Thousands is less than millions.
    I'm aware of orders of magnitude.

That asteroid strike was local and kicked up enough for an extinction event. A global nuclear event would be, well, global. Any predictions about that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    That isn't entirely true...for humanity, it would pretty much be the end of the world. Of course, the actual world would go on, as would nature.
    It is absolutely true........
    An all out nuclear war would be the end of the world as we know it now...
    But it would not be the end of all.
    Humankind will survive, and would be forced to rebuild. But that's about it. The planet will not be uninhabitable.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

A global nuclear event would be, well, global. Any predictions about that?
    We don't have enough nukes for a truly global nuclear event. It would be isolated little dots on the map here and there with plenty of room inbetween. Many species would go extinct but most would live.

Then you are fooling yourself.
    You literally haven't done anything but said "HURRR YOU'RE STUPID" basically as a counter. Come on, where's this supposed proof that we're not the most evolved race on this planet? Where's the animal that's more evolved than us? Where's the animals that are going to become more evolved than us? I certainly don't see any Planet of the Apes nonsense going on, do you?

Sure, maybe we can't wipe out literally everything in one go, but that doesn't somehow make those that we couldn't more evolved than us.

10+ Year Old Account

That asteroid strike was local and kicked up enough for an extinction event. A global nuclear event would be, well, global. Any predictions about that?
    Widespread radiation, causing extinction of many larger organisms. Your "we won the race" humanity would be fucked thorroughly. Over the following milennia radiation would decrease and diversifying into vacant niches would take place by the surviving (smaller) organisms. Any human survivors (which I doubt there would be) would then probably continue to make the same fucking stupid mistakes all over again.

Humanity: Terminally stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Pandas really need to just die out. They're one of the dumbest species.

99% of their diet is only one type of food.
    They're assholes about mating
    It's hard for them to conceive and stay pregnant

Like, fucking adapt better or gtfo.
    But... they are so cute and cuddley ! Clearly that makes up for their durrrrrr ! Seriously, they are pretty stupid, but cute as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Come on, where's this supposed proof that we're not the most evolved race on this planet? Where's the animal that's more evolved than us? Where's the animals that are going to become more evolved than us?
    Evolution doesn't work that way. It isn't a ladder.

10+ Year Old Account

In 1980, the calculation was 40.000 nuclear warheads with a total combined firepower of 13.000 megatons of energy
    the asteroid that's connected to the dinosaurs had an estimated force of at least 70,000,000 Mt of energy

We don't have enough nukes for a truly global nuclear event. It would be isolated little dots on the map here and there with plenty of room inbetween. Many species would go extinct but most would live.
    By my calculation, if just the US launched in a spread formation, no matter where you are in the world, you'd be within 30 miles of a detonation. Not counting oceans, but the radioactive fallout would take care of everything but the deep sea critters.

Evolution doesn't work that way. It isn't a ladder.
    Just because it isn't a ladder doesn't mean there isn't someone at the top.

By my calculation, if just the US launched in a spread formation, no matter where you are in the world, you'd be within 30 miles of a detonation. Not counting oceans, but the radioactive fallout would take care of everything but the deep sea critters.
    I want to see your calculations.

Just because it isn't a ladder doesn't mean there isn't someone at the top.
    The foodchain isn't the same as evolution. And even in that case there's something very small that has the best of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    You literally haven't done anything but said "HURRR YOU'RE STUPID" basically as a counter. Come on, where's this supposed proof that we're not the most evolved race on this planet? Where's the animal that's more evolved than us? Where's the animals that are going to become more evolved than us? I certainly don't see any Planet of the Apes nonsense going on, do you?

Sure, maybe we can't wipe out literally everything in one go, but that doesn't somehow make those that we couldn't more evolved than us.
    There IS no "more evolved". All there is is the question of how well you are adapted to your niche. YOU are not more evolved than the common cold, because it is perfectly adapted to it's particular evolutional niche.

So yes, I find it pretty stupid to claim that "we won the race" when there is no race, no finish, no "congrats, you won". The environment is always changing, and the only measure of success is how well you are able to adapt to it. And given that humanity is busy changing the environment into one that is LESS able to support human life, I would say that no, we have NOT won the race. In fact, we have just elected to shoot ourself in the foot and continue on one leg.

10+ Year Old Account

What defines evolution?
    Existence? Longevity?
    We've species on Earth that are around for tens of millions of years. If not hundreds..
    Some predating the dinosaurs. And they aren't the oldest.
    Can we beat them to the punch? We're a fairly young specie.

There IS no "more evolved". All there is is the question of how well you are adapted to your niche. YOU are not more evolved than the common cold, because it is perfectly adapted to it's particular evolutional niche.

So yes, I find it pretty stupid to claim that "we won the race" when there is no race, no finish, no "congrats, you won". The environment is always changing, and the only measure of success is how well you are able to adapt to it. And given that humanity is busy changing the environment into one that is LESS able to support human life, I would say that no, we have NOT won the race. In fact, we have just elected to shoot ourself in the foot and continue on one leg.
    So basically your argument isn't even that we're not at the top of the chain/whatever you wanna call it, it's just "Well there is no race!".

That doesn't disprove the point though. So what if a cold is more evolved when it comes to making people sick, it still cannot survive outside of its niche that well. They evolve rapidly because they can literally one do one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    What defines evolution?
    Existence? Longevity?
    We've species on Earth that are around for tens of millions of years. If not hundreds..
    Some predating the dinosaurs. And they aren't the oldest.
    Can we beat them to the punch? We're a fairly young specie.
    I would say more important than existence and longevity is adaption and the ability to survive wherever. Which besides very few locations, humans seem to have the ability to go almost everywhere on the Earth now, and thrive too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    You quite literally exist and are able to spend all day posting this nonsense on the forums because Humanity has won the evolution race. No other species would keep a member around who contributed absolutely nothing to the species. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you're so far removed from reality you can't see the obvious contradiction in your argument with your own existence. Rather than focus on the betterment of our species, we focus on maximizing comfort for everyone. That's why we have so many posters who are drop outs, unemployed and sucking up disability checks. Their contribution to this world is zilch and if they were a member of any other species, they'd have been killed or left for dead long ago.

So yea, we have won the evolution race. Our species is so secure that we can keep faulty members of our species alive by caring for them.
    There's no winning

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    There's no winning
    Are you calling Charlie Sheen a liar?

10+ Year Old Account
    Earth Land mass:
    57 268 900 square miles

US Nuclear Warheads approx. 5000.

57 268 900 square miles : 5000 = 11.453 square miles per bomb.
    That is, if you would be able to perfectly time and pin point them from one to the next. Which is of course an impossible task.

- - - Updated - - -

I would say more important than existence and longevity is adaption and the ability to survive wherever. Which besides very few locations, humans seem to have the ability to go almost everywhere on the Earth now, and thrive too.
    Alrighty.... then so far, we are not at the top of the pyramid, because other species outlive us, and have lived through extinction events. Lived through conditions proven to be lethal to humans.