Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Shes 8 a bit too young for anything more complicated than cells and animals much less climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Implying history isn't somehow relevant.

- - - Updated - - -

And you'd be wrong, because climate change is a human thing, and we've been altering the environment in harmful ways since...well, agriculture.
    Damn those farmers and their agriculture!!

Sure, climate change should be taught...,,,at an age where they will really comprehend it's impact.

Teaching climate change in first or second grade is like teaching alegebra without having taught students basic math.

The angst comes from, in my opinion, those folks out there who want to start the "western culture is bad" indocrination as early as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Jesus, we are expecting to teach climate change at 8?

At that age a focus should be on the basics, save climate change for when they are old enough to really understand it
    The earlier indoctrination starts the more likely it is to stick.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Yeah, god forbid they become people who actually don't deny science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Sense the reason why some want to start it earlier and earlier.

Nothing like a good ole dose of self hate to Start the day

This is kind of a tangent, but inefficient farming practices, especially in the 3rd world, is wildly damaging to the environment in addition to the aforementioned inefficiency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

It's a wider net than just climate science.

10+ Year Old Account

Sure, climate change should be taught...,,,at an age where they will really comprehend it's impact.

Teaching climate change in first or second grade is like teaching alegebra without having taught students basic math.

The angst comes from, in my opinion, those folks out there who want to start the "western culture is bad" indocrination as early as possible.
    There's no indoctrination going on saying that 'western culture is bad'.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    This is kind of a tangent, but inefficient farming practices, especially in the 3rd world, is wildly damaging to the environment in addition to the aforementioned inefficiency.
    Indeed it is.

- - - Updated - - -

There's no indoctrination going on saying that 'western culture is bad'.
    Riiiiiiiiiiight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Riiiiiiiiiiight.
    Yes, right.

Primarily because education was previously extraordinarily Eurocentric and tended to gloss over the negative aspects of European history. You were habituated to viewing the world in such a manner.

Sense the reason why some want to start it earlier and earlier.

Nothing like a good ole dose of self hate to Start the day
    For starters, we don't teach self hate in schools. We don't teach slavery or the treatment of Indians to promote self hatred, we teach them because whitewashing or ignoring bad things that have happened is unacceptable. It's the same for climate change. 99% of the people who accept Climate Change couldn't give a rat's ass whether people hate themselves or not, because frankly it's not productive and certainly doesn't help the fix the problem.

This belongs in an earth sciences class in late middle school through mid high school. And it would be in a science class, and in science classes there won't be any preaching of how you should feel about yourself because that's wholly irrelevant.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by GeraltsBeard View Post
    http://cobblab.blogspot.com/2015/08/...-10-crowd.html

FTA

Seems stereotypical on the surface, but is a genuine problem if public educators are not teaching this stuff.
    The "genuine problem" as you put it, is the tampering of data that seems to be quite popular among people to support the "evil climate change humans are forcing on helpless mother earth" story that makes fools, like this "scientist mom" soooo worried that "omg this political fulcrum, I mean climate change, isn't being taught to my eight year old?????" Better write a dumb article so someone can post a silly click-bait post on mmochampion!

Some of you are asserting that the only way to teach is to teach at a very specialized level. I imagine that education has been defunded such that they no longer have them, but when I was in elementary school, we had a greenhouse. Welcome to an introduction to chemistry, biology, and "climate change".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    For starters, we don't teach self hate in schools. We don't teach slavery or the treatment of Indians to promote self hatred, we teach them because whitewashing or ignoring bad things that have happened is unacceptable. It's the same for climate change. 99% of the people who accept Climate Change couldn't give a rat's ass whether people hate themselves or not, because frankly it's not productive and certainly doesn't help the fix the problem.

This belongs in an earth sciences class in late middle school through mid high school. And it would be in a science class, and in science classes there won't be any preaching of how you should feel about yourself because that's wholly irrelevant.
    As I said, however, climate change also belongs in the context of history. This isn't the first time civilizations have been dramatically impacted by environmental factors; so understanding climate change, and why it is bad, is absolutely crucial to understanding that human agency can often be self-defeating.

Quote Originally Posted by Visigothette View Post
    The "genuine problem" as you put it, is the tampering of data that seems to be quite popular among people to support the "evil climate change humans are forcing on helpless mother earth" story that makes fools, like this "scientist mom" soooo worried that "omg this political fulcrum, I mean climate change, isn't being taught to my eight year old?????" Better write a dumb article so someone can post a silly click-bait post on mmochampion!
    "Tampering of data" in your sense is known to scientifically literate people as "getting rid of systematic errors."

Even though I believe in man-made climate change, I don't consider the exclusion of the concept in a third-grader's textbook an issue. This is a concept that should be introduced in higher level science courses, perhaps specifically an environmental science course, where it can be explored in much depth and detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Visigothette View Post
    Oh the hypocrisy and delusions of grandeur.

As I said, however, climate change also belongs in the context of history. This isn't the first time civilizations have been dramatically impacted by environmental factors; so understanding climate change, and why it is bad, is absolutely crucial to understanding that human agency can often be self-defeating.
    I just don't know where it would fit in with the current state of history education. It's not a US centric problem, and we generally don't cover much past WWII anyway. World history is already stretched pretty thin given the amount of stuff they have to cover. Even AP world history was like a pu pu platter. A little sampling of everything, depth free.

You mean deny an interpretation of science heavily biased by agenda.

Outright denying science would be ...like ...calling a man a women even though their chromosomes say otherwise.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    Even though I believe in man-made climate change, I don't consider the exclusion of the concept in a third-grader's textbook an issue. This is a concept that should be introduced in higher level science courses, perhaps specifically an environmental science course, where it can be explored in much depth and detail.
    This stuff already appears in AP environmental science courses. But, like Art History, very few will ever be exposed to it.