Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Well we as gamers of course know that violent media is extremely encouraging to do violent actions, which is why CoD and GTAV (and others violent games) has SWAT teams protecting any events that such things are consumed or purchased.

I hope this actually happens, just to see if people would react the same to such a thing.
    I understand your comment was tongue-in-cheek. The fear here, at least in my opinion, isn't that this movie will encourage violent actions, so much as it will give already violent people what they perceive to be an excuse to be violent.

I'm sure some will read my comments to say "all or most folks of a specific demographic are violent", but that would not be what I'm implying. If anything, it will be a small minority. But a small minority can still cause a decent amount of damage and a large amount of fear.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    So is that good news?
    There are many movies out with worse ratings than The Man from U.N.C.L.E
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

It's just a movie, grow some balls.

Fantastically entertaining film. Saw it twice- midnight screening and Saturday matinee. Both screenings were completely sold out.

At 12PM on a rainy Saturday afternoon there was a line out of the theater for Straight Outta Compton.

Crowds were great and very mixed. Hard to believe the film is inciting any kind of chaos. The people old enough to know the music are like my age. There were 40-50 year couples in the theater- including us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    The fear here, at least in my opinion, isn't that this movie will encourage violent actions, so much as it will give already violent people what they perceive to be an excuse to be violent.
    Yet said people could have found that excuse in all other medias, what is the difference here?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Fantastically entertaining film. Saw it twice- midnight screening and Saturday matinee. Both screenings were completely sold out.

At 12PM on a rainy Saturday afternoon there was a line out of the theater for Straight Outta Compton.

Crowds were great and very mixed. Hard to believe the film is inciting any kind of chaos. The people old enough to know the music are like my age. There were 40-50 year couples in the theater- including us.
    Aldis Hodge is in it! Fucking Hardison of Leverage is MC Ren?! Can't wait to see it.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Who is going to reimburse the poor people that saw fantastic 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Yet said people could have found that excuse in all other medias, what is the difference here?
    Probably what folks are saying. This isn't fiction. As far as "why not in other movies in years past", I don't recall seeing race riots or random white folks pummelings nearly as often in the past as we are seeing in the last couple years.

Also, keep in mind I'm trying to give folks a reason on why white folks are scared right now. I'm not saying that the fear is justified or that anything is going to happen. But the question was asked, and I'm doing what I can to give information based on my understanding on why folks are afraid.

There was a thread the other day with a link to a video where a random white dude was walking down the side walk on the same side of the street as a group of black folks. Before the white dude got past them, he got jumped by several, and got beat down pretty badly. The common consensus from the white folks who responded was "it's his own fault for walking so close to a black crowd at night". It's clear to see that with all the video footage we've been seeing of like incidents over the last year or two (and previously) there are many very scared white folks.

Like many things, I think the majority of the blame to this falls on the media who inflame these situations. They do the best they can to rile up the black masses when an injustice is done to them, then do the best they can to show and dramatize any carnage caused by their instigation.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So what you're saying is "black people will see this movie, and black people cause trouble, so black people could cause trouble following this movie?"

Like, if that's what you're saying, owe up to it.
    Well, are you trying to say that young black teenagers from the ghetto whose lives revolve around guns and drugs AREN'T going to be influenced by this movie, with potential copy cat behavioural patterns emerging.

Because if that's what YOU are saying, own up to it.

The movie did $65 million this weekend. No violence. So???

Oh I bet I get the "its because they had security" answer. Maybe when a something happens 2 months down the road we will get the "I told you so".

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    There are many movies out with worse ratings than The Man from U.N.C.L.E
    It's probably because of how it's doing on the sales end and not the critical end. Didn't spend too much time looking on it, but it's not doing 'extremely well'. First article I saw was 40-some mil for Mission Impossible, and 12 for Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Sure, I know MI's been out for a bit, but I'd still have held off U.N.C.L.E. a bit when you're going against something in almost the same genre with that much staying power. Then again, much longer and they would have been out of the 'summer blockbuster' range..

I started off watching this movie a white man but by the time the credits rolled i ended up black.
    Walked out the cinema and Sent my bitch off to the 7/11 for some 8ball while i smoked some endo and popped some caps in some asses!

This might be far out there but maybe the answer isn't to think of blacks as effectively children and start calling them out on their bullshit?

I am getting kinda tired of watching violent criminal being turned into martyrs.

You want to act like a animal be put down like a animal. You want to make a saint out of a man who attacked a cop and stole some Swedish sweets? Fine its a free country you are allowed to but you should be treated as the laughing stock you are not taken seriously.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Come on you know damn well what.

Ferguson ...Baltimore ...anti-cop anger ...a movie which the entirety of the plot is "fug da poleaze" ...cmonnnnn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    I'm leaning on the only problems that are going to happen at the theater, will be caused by african americans at the theater. Movie being what it is, and african american culture being what it is right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Some demographics cause more trouble than others, and you have a movie that will bring a large number of them. More likely for their to be trouble at this movie than say Minions. Also security will give impression that there will be no trouble so other movie goers will still visit the theater.

Last shooting at our theater (well drive by in parking lot) was not done by a white guy.
    These are the faces of the shooters who perpetrated the last three major theater shootings that have been in the news:

They don't look like black guys to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, what about the last thee minor theater shootings? In Chicago? In Detoit?

Quote Originally Posted by Mmomaths View Post
    Well, are you trying to say that young black teenagers from the ghetto whose lives revolve around guns and drugs AREN'T going to be influenced by this movie, with potential copy cat behavioural patterns emerging.

Because if that's what YOU are saying, own up to it.
    And people that seriously think killing or torturing others is good for humanity might be influenced by The Purge or Saw. But, strangely, no security at those movies. Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    The fear mongering is hilarious, especially the: "I'm afraid of leaving the house while this movie is in theatres"-comments.

That unashamed racism though. It's like gazing back into the 19th century.
    Agree but think it's kinda awesome a film about N.W.A is spurring the same shameful sentiments and views as 27 years ago. It speaks to the vitality, implicit division and inhumanity with which African-Americans are viewed.

Seeing the film the music is still chaotic, masterful, violent and relevant to current events too. It still means something when the bars of 'Gangsta Gangsta' or 'Fuck the Police' overwhelm the theater sound system. Powerful artistry.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's hilarious that so many commenting on this has been upset that this is racist and in the same breath stereotyped theater shooters as white as some sort of argument this is uncalled for.

"The two things I hate most in the world is racism, and black people" <-- I feel like this is the level of consistency we're at.

10+ Year Old Account
    How are some shootings considered minor and others considered major? They're all still shootings... Oh that's right... Media coverage.

They should reimburse movie goers for such a terrible movie