Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    well at the moment I have a Noctua NH-U12P cooler with duel fans........would a watercooling closed loop system like the Corsair Hydro Series H110i or NZXT KRAKEN X61 make much of a difference to temps/noise when overclocking?

as far as fan noise on the case I'm guessing like with normal case fans you can use dampening attachments to cut back on this preventing the fan resting solely on the case etc.
    Well, it'd make a marginal difference in temperature and a major difference in noise, not in the good way.
    They both perform better than the U12, but they're also both extremely louder than it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thing is I want to future proof for a good few years.......my i5 3570k is good for now but for how long? If I got a skylake i7 id also upgrade to ddr4 memory as the board would support it
    This mentality makes no sense to me.

You want to 'future proof'... Why not future proof later? Wait til the next thing comes out and future proof then. Upgrading now when you don't need to literally shortens your upgrade schedule and spends more money sooner.

You can future proof by simply doing nothing (aside from the GPU)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    This mentality makes no sense to me.

You want to 'future proof'... Why not future proof later? Wait til the next thing comes out and future proof then. Upgrading now when you don't need to literally shortens your upgrade schedule and spends more money sooner.

You can future proof by simply doing nothing (aside from the GPU)
    It all depends if the promised gains from directX 12 actually happen tbh and if the majority of games even start to support it if it does happen......as I said earlier opinion aside my i5 is already showing as a bit of a bottleneck in testing programs like 3dmark, it wasn't the 'top' processor I could have gotten when I built the machine 3 years ago now let alone for modern times (at the time the only reason I got an i5 over an i7 was to afford a better gpu on my budget).

The way I see it if I want to get an outstanding gpu like the fury x or 980ti as I intend to there's no point if my cpu is going to bottleneck performance anyway. But we'll see.....if dx 12 does indeed give a major performance boost and becomes widely used I guess it won't be an issue....if it doesn't then I may quickly find my i5 lagging behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    as I said earlier opinion aside my i5 is already showing as a bit of a bottleneck in testing programs like 3dmark
    This means virtually nothing, and no decisions should be made based off that fact.

(at the time the only reason I got an i5 over an i7 was to afford a better gpu on my budget).
    i7 doesn't provide gaming benefits, really.

The way I see it if I want to get an outstanding gpu like the fury x or 980ti as I intend to there's no point if my cpu is going to bottleneck performance anyway.
    It wont, simply put.

if dx 12 does indeed give a major performance boost and becomes widely used I guess it won't be an issue....if it doesn't then I may quickly find my i5 lagging behind.
    By the time DX12 actually gets implemented in anything, you'll probably be looking at another upgrade by then. So few games will be using it in the next few years. Certainly none that are out now.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    You can have a look at the Ashes of Singularity benchmark that is out now, there are some articles about it. They compare different AMD vs Nvidia GPUs, and also different CPUs.

Just keep in mind that it is a single game and the effects for other games might be different. But it shows a bit more than just the DX12 benchmark of 3Dmark.

well at the moment I have a Noctua NH-U12P cooler with duel fans........would a watercooling closed loop system like the Corsair Hydro Series H110i or NZXT KRAKEN X61 make much of a difference to temps/noise when overclocking?

as far as fan noise on the case I'm guessing like with normal case fans you can use dampening attachments to cut back on this preventing the fan resting solely on the case etc.
    It would make a difference in temps, but not a lot. The real question here though is are your temps already dangerous? Do you have such a high OC, that's running stable, near max temp that you think you could push further with better cooling?

The thing is, both of those will be noisier then what you have, so if it's not going to allow you to push an OC significantly further, it's probably not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Not always. You could run without case fans in those spots, many do. So you have a really good high-end pump, good for you. Note in the beginning I said often, not always, just often. There are obviously exceptions to the rule. However, I have seen it happen time and time again, people think water is better, quieter and cooler then air. They switch from something like a Noctua NH-D14 to a Corsair h100i and are wondering why it's not quieter and cooler. It was a simple warning that often times when switching to water you will not get what you expect.

I guess next time I'll just keep my god damn mouth shut though since I had not one but TWO people come in here and try to correct me.
    Your statement is accurate with regards to the noise levels on many AIO water coolers. Though that is an area where they are improving rapidly.

The fans on the radiators bit, isn't necessarily though. A lot comes down to the fans used and what speed they are run at. Put them on a fan controller, turn the speed down and they basically won't make any noise. With a decent radiator and good fans, it won't hurt the cooling significantly either.

The AIOs do ten to crank the fans all the way up though and pretty much any fan cranked all the way up is going to make a noticeable amount of noise, if not be outright unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    Your statement is accurate with regards to the noise levels on many AIO water coolers. Though that is an area where they are improving rapidly.

The fans on the radiators bit, isn't necessarily though.
    A lot comes down to the fans used and what speed they are run at. Put them on a fan controller, turn the speed down and they basically won't make any noise. With a decent radiator and good fans, it won't hurt the cooling significantly either.

The AIOs do ten to crank the fans all the way up though and pretty much any fan cranked all the way up is going to make a noticeable amount of noise, if not be outright unbearable.
    Yes, it is absolutely true that a fan attached to your your case can be louder then that same exact fan on a heat sink not touching the case. It does depend on the quality of the fan AND the quality of the case. A low quality or old case with a loose panel can start rattling sometimes if you attach a low quality fan to it, even it that fan is attached to a radiator. You add moving parts to something that makes noise when it moves, like a case, and yeah, it's gonna make noise, where it wouldn't if that same fan was on a heat sink suspended in the middle of the case.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    You can have a look at the Ashes of Singularity benchmark that is out now, there are some articles about it. They compare different AMD vs Nvidia GPUs, and also different CPUs.

Just keep in mind that it is a single game and the effects for other games might be different. But it shows a bit more than just the DX12 benchmark of 3Dmark.
    Had a look and the signs are positive...one thing I'm noticing as well from benchmarks that use them is the skylake processors are performing very well.....not much difference between performance of the new i76700k and the I7 extreme 8 core despite the latter being a lot more expensive. Think that's settled my processer argument anyway. Skylake it will be most likely with an r9 fury x .....think that combo will keep me going for a good few years, well into the lifespan of dx 12.
    Last edited by mmocd06d636042; 2015-08-19 at 06:25 AM.

I'm running a Core-i5 2500k and it's only bottlenecking on Unreal Engine 4 (editor, not games) and Visual Studio (cause no CPU will ever be enough for that piece of shit).

Deleted
    heres link to my best 3d mark result achieved earlier today after a bit of overclocking the gpu and cpu......got the i5 3570k cpu overclocked to 4.8 from 3.4 and remained stable with temps maxing at 70ish at full load (thanks to the huge noctua cooler on it....the heatsink is massive on this thing and it has a push pull fan config). and gigabyte windforce edition 7970 gpu overclocked to 1.150 core and 1.500 mem clock with stability and temps also maxing out around 70.

I think this is as far as I can push it as far as temps go anyway....I wouldnt want it to start creeping any higher then 70ish for the cpu. Has anyone here squeezed more out of an i53570k with air cooling and not set their system on fire? lol

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5761440

but im happy with that score for the cpu....never thought id be able to push it that far and remain stable tbh.....and I think itll get even better with a dx 12 test in the future......so maybe ill just go for the gpu upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    i7 doesn't provide gaming benefits, really.
    *Citation needed.

That highly depends on what games you're playing.

(Diagrams are in Swedish, green = average value, red = lowest value)

These are just 3 examples that all show an increase in FPS by 10-20% for an i7 over an i5 of the same series. I wouldn't really call that "no benefits".

At this point in time, AMD CPUs are never a good option. Never ever. If you insist on upgrading, then just get a newer and better Intel processor like any of the Haswell or Skylake ones. I myself have the i7-4790K and this thing is a beast that will serve me for years to come.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    At this point in time, AMD CPUs are never a good option. Never ever. If you insist on upgrading, then just get a newer and better Intel processor like any of the Haswell or Skylake ones. I myself have the i7-4790K and this thing is a beast that will serve me for years to come.
    We've got to see how the Zen architecture changes work out, but this is largely true.

Now, that's not to say that the FX series CPUs aren't useful for extreme budget builds. They're just weaker than directly-comparable Intel builds at the present time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    We've got to see how the Zen architecture changes work out, but this is largely true.

Now, that's not to say that the FX series CPUs aren't useful for extreme budget builds. They're just weaker than directly-comparable Intel builds at the present time.
    I think I've been sold on the 6700k i7 sky lake seen quite a few benchmarks now where it's performing the same or just a little worse then te i7 8 core extreme which is about 3 times the price, amd what put me off was hearing about the temperature issues, esp as I do like to overclock.

Now my bigger question is to go for a fury x or a 980ti.......though I won't even bother asking that one here as amd and nvidia fanboys are both cultists haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... they put crappy TIM with Skylake, again. If you feel brave you can delid it and replace the TIM but the PCB is a few layers less so it's a bit more fragile so have to be careful. Since the voltage controller whatever it's called is placed back onto the MoBo, you'd need a better quality MoBo if you want to go full ham.
    I'm just personally waiting for the next set of CPUs again... will see how Kabylake / Zen does.

Deleted
    Don't upgrade nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you play more then one video game if I may ask?
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Now my bigger question is to go for a fury x or a 980ti.......though I won't even bother asking that one here as amd and nvidia fanboys are both cultists haha
    Want a realistic answer? dx11 single card 980-ti is currently clearly better.

For dual-card setups Fury-Xs are better. In the case of a future upgrade, but having space for the radiators is another story.
    (Normal fury OC'd to Fury X's frequencies might be a good choice if the manufacturer's cooler is good enough).

Judging by the recent dx12 benchmarks, Fury X is better at it. Nvidia might just have bad drivers currently though.

Also, since HBM is new tech and we've been seeing AMD cards aging better than their Nvidia counterparts, you can expect the Fury-X to get better with time.
    While that Nvidia driver fiasco doesn't help the other side much... People are reporting better performance with older drivers.

Your options are skylake or xeon for cpu upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Want a realistic answer? dx11 single card 980-ti is currently clearly better.

For dual-card setups Fury-Xs are better. In the case of a future upgrade, but having space for the radiators is another story.
    (Normal fury OC'd to Fury X's frequencies might be a good choice if the manufacturer's cooler is good enough).

Judging by the recent dx12 benchmarks, Fury X is better at it. Nvidia might just have bad drivers currently though.

Also, since HBM is new tech and we've been seeing AMD cards aging better than their Nvidia counterparts, you can expect the Fury-X to get better with time.
    While that Nvidia driver fiasco doesn't help the other side much... People are reporting better performance with older drivers.
    That benchmark isn't the end of the world. When that game is closer to leaving beta the results will be different. HBM is whats causing the supply shortage and why I can't buy a nano yet. How dumb can you be thinking having to go through 4 customs just to attach 2 parts is a good idea AMD?
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2015-08-20 at 08:07 PM.