Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

I am not happy/excited/anticipating the FF7 remake

Anyone else feel the same way? I'm not dreading it or anything, I just generally don't care much because I know it's probably going to be pretty fucking awful and a real mockery of the original.

Ever since they announced it, half the internet has been in a storm of "OH MY GOD FINALLY DA BEST RPG EVA BEING REMADE...", and I just don't quite understand just why. The people who made the original FF7 are not the people who are making the remake. Taking a look at the absolutely terrible prequel/sequel/Adfart Children, does anyone with any taste put any faith in the remake being any good?

Part of what makes the original so charming and timeless is its old-style design and self awareness. It was literally a Super Nintendo sprite game that they turned into a three-dimensional Playstation game.

They're going to rewrite all the dialogue, make the characters look like fucking twats, probably remove 90% of the gritty and hyper-mature references to prostitution/drug addiction/immense poverty/etc which will basically just totally warp the entire game's feeling and nature and pretty much turn Rufus and Sephiroth into cackling, monologue spewin- okay, okay, well they'll turn them into even more of that.

I was excited, at least, to hear a fully revamped and redone soundtrack but after seeing what they did to 10's, I'm also not really too excited.

The worst part is that this fucking game is going to sell incredibly well and just restoke Enix's bullshit with trying to release sequels/prequels of the FF7 universe.

Long story short; I think the remake is going to be absolute shit. Anyone with me on this?

Iv long said it and i personally think FF7 is one of the most overrated games in gaming, on the level that HL3 will be if we ever get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since it's a reimagining and not just a remake, not at all. Nothing indicates that this will be bad if anything so far Japanese games that have been re-worked are pretty great. Resident Evil is a good example of this.

Its graphic are terrible and did not age well at all, it has no charm anymore. Also nobody is taking away that old version of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Anyone else feel the same way? I'm not dreading it or anything, I just generally don't care much because I know it's probably going to be pretty fucking awful and a real mockery of the original.

Ever since they announced it, half the internet has been in a storm of "OH MY GOD FINALLY DA BEST RPG EVA BEING REMADE...", and I just don't quite understand just why. The people who made the original FF7 are not the people who are making the remake. Taking a look at the absolutely terrible prequel/sequel/Adfart Children, does anyone with any taste put any faith in the remake being any good?

Part of what makes the original so charming and timeless is its old-style design and self awareness. It was literally a Super Nintendo sprite game that they turned into a three-dimensional Playstation game.

They're going to rewrite all the dialogue, make the characters look like fucking twats, probably remove 90% of the gritty and hyper-mature references to prostitution/drug addiction/immense poverty/etc which will basically just totally warp the entire game's feeling and nature and pretty much turn Rufus and Sephiroth into cackling, monologue spewin- okay, okay, well they'll turn them into even more of that.

I was excited, at least, to hear a fully revamped and redone soundtrack but after seeing what they did to 10's, I'm also not really too excited.

The worst part is that this fucking game is going to sell incredibly well and just restoke Enix's bullshit with trying to release sequels/prequels of the FF7 universe.

Long story short; I think the remake is going to be absolute shit. Anyone with me on this?
    Hm, 0 facts, 0 proof of knowing there's going to be full rewrites, 0 proof of removing the references, 0 proof of.. huh, anything really.

Considering I don't like jumping to assumptions of claiming something is going to suck while knowing nothing about it, no, I'm not with you on that.

If I thought that way? I think almost everything coming out is going to be shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Since it's a reimagining and not just a remake, not at all. Nothing indicates that this will be bad if anything so far Japanese games that have been re-worked are pretty great. Resident Evil is a good example of this.

Its graphic are terrible and did not age well at all, it has no charm anymore. Also nobody is taking away that old version of the game.

I find the original has an incredible amount of charm, but do go ahead and just make your opinion fact for everyone, please. I also find a lot of stuff indicates this will probably be bad, considering almost every single expanded universe FF7 thing has been, as far as I'm concerned, shitty. Dirge of Cerberus(lol so cool deep name that means nothing lol so deep), Advent Children(lol so cool dep name that means nothing lol so deep), Crisis Core(seriously fuck off with these dumb names Square Enix you dumb dickheads), that anime OVA adaption of Cloud's backstory where they made up a bunch of new Turks characters, half of them overly sexualized women.

I'm not feeling it. They haven't done a single good thing to the FF7 'franchise' and I highly doubt a "reimagining" is going to change that.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I am worried that they are going to fuck it up too, but even if they do, I still have the same copy of the original FF7 that I bought the day it came out. I am happy that they are doing it, because like the Resident Evil remake it COULD be awesome, but like with the new Star Wars movie I am cautiously optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfheart9 View Post
    Hm, 0 facts, 0 proof of knowing there's going to be full rewrites, 0 proof of removing the references, 0 proof of.. huh, anything really.

Considering I don't like jumping to assumptions of claiming something is going to suck while knowing nothing about it, no, I'm not with you on that.

If I thought that way? I think almost everything coming out is going to be shit.
    Fucking lol.

Of course they're going to re-write the dialogue you doofus. They're not going to just take the old dialogue and have it word-for-word again. I mean, it'd be great if they did, but they're obviously going to write a new script. When I say "rewrite" I don't mean they're going to totally rewrite it and make Cloud into a catperson and give Tifa a sentient moose dick or change the plot, I mean they're just rewriting the script and they'll probably make it sound more like FF10 dialogue than the original dialogue which was more similar to FF6, as a kind of messy comparison.

I'm almost certain they're going to greatly tone down a lot of the references to prostitution and drugs. I'm basing all of this off of what they've shown they've done with the extended FF7 universe and their current works, I'm not just basing this off of nothing at all. I'm glad you don't think the way I do, because if you did, I wouldn't think very good!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    I am worried that they are going to fuck it up too, but even if they do, I still have the same copy of the original FF7 that I bought the day it came out. I am happy that they are doing it, because like the Resident Evil remake it COULD be awesome, but like with the new Star Wars movie I am cautiously optimistic.
    I suppose that's a fair a way as any to look at it. I'm pretty cynical about it being any good, but who knows? They might prove me wrong. Looking at the absolute cringe-fest that was Burp of Cerberus, though, I really just dunno, man. I guess in this sense they're actually remaking the original rather than 'expanding their own idea', so we at least won't get dumb shit like Rufus magically surviving being blown up or Tseng retconned into not dying WHEN BEING SMASHED INTO A MOLECULAR SINGULARITY BY A GIANT STONE TEMPLE or Hojo "uplinking his brain into the Matrix" or whatever.

Fucking lol.

Of course they're going to re-write the dialogue you doofus. They're not going to just take the old dialogue and have it word-for-word again. I mean, it'd be great if they did, but they're obviously going to write a new script. When I say "rewrite" I don't mean they're going to totally rewrite it and make Cloud into a catperson and give Tifa a sentient moose dick or change the plot, I mean they're just rewriting the script and they'll probably make it sound more like FF10 dialogue than the original dialogue which was more similar to FF6, as a kind of messy comparison.

I'm almost certain they're going to greatly tone down a lot of the references to prostitution and drugs. I'm basing all of this off of what they've shown they've done with the extended FF7 universe and their current works, I'm not just basing this off of nothing at all. I'm glad you don't think the way I do, because if you did, I wouldn't think very good!
    Funny. You ask for opinions, people give you opinions, you then insult them if they're not your views, claim others are trying to state theirs as facts when they're not, and act like a child over all of it. Nothing, anywhere, has pointed towards them making sweeping changes to the game. You are pulling that out of thin air, and claiming it as 'obvious'. Things that are extended or not the direct game, are additions. They're not taking away from anything. A retelling/remake of a game has source content to go off of already, which is what we know.

It's pretty clear this isn't an actual discussion thread though and you're just bored and trying to get a rise out of people, so continue beating off to insulting people on the internet and thinking people are going to cut themselves on how edgy you are. Good day.
    Last edited by Wolfheart9; 2015-08-17 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Iv long said it and i personally think FF7 is one of the most overrated games in gaming, on the level that HL3 will be if we ever get it.
    I never played the other Half Lifes so never got on the train but I really believe if HL3 ever comes out no matter how good it is it will bomb just because it's been built up so much.

Well, sounds like a personal problem.

Funny. You ask for opinions, people give you opinions, you then insult them if they're not your views, claim others are trying to state theirs as facts when they're not, and act like a child over all of it. Nothing, anywhere, has pointed towards them making sweeping changes to the game. You are pulling that out of thin air, and claiming it as 'obvious'. Things that are extended or not the direct game, are additions. They're not taking away from anything. A retelling/remake of a game has source content to go off of already, which is what we know.

It's pretty clear this isn't an actual discussion thread though and you're just bored and trying to get a rise out of people, so continue beating off to insulting people on the internet and thinking people are going to cut themselves on how edgy you are. Good day.
    You didn't really give me any opinions though. You just said "HMM 0 PROOF", which is technically true, I do have absolutely no solid proof, but that's not the fucking point. I made the thread to give my thoughts and opinions on how I felt the remake was going to go and I based it off of what Enix has shown us over the years concerning its treatment of the FF7 universe.

I never even claimed they're going to make "sweeping changes", again, you seem to lack reading comprehension to understand all I said is that they'll rewrite the script to give it 'updated wording' (as any remake of a game has ever done ever) and probably censor some stuff.

If you want to come in and say "I disagree, I like the new stuff and I think it'll be great, I can't wait", that's fine. Some guy came in and said he thought FF7 was one of the most overrated games ever, and that's fine on him. That's his opinion. But you didn't give an opinion, you made a shitty post and then went full dumb over-defensive mode and just claimed I'm 'being an edgy troll' because I didn't let you scoot off with making fake claims against me.

I never played FF7 fully, I got bored after the whole cross dressing part, but I will say if I have a PS4, I'd probably pick up the remake at some point due to curiosity of why it's considered so great, I mean, I picked up FF10 for the same reason.

I don't think it will be bad, but the one thing that did frustrate me is that so many people were excited about a remake over newer games. I mean, I get it's not really right to tell others they should be more interested in other games, and I know gamers aren't just a single circlejerk of opinions, but it just makes me sad that games are bashed for not being creative enough, yet a remake overshadowed quite a bit of the new games at E3 when it was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I never played FF7 fully, I got bored after the whole cross dressing part, but I will say if I have a PS4, I'd probably pick up the remake at some point due to curiosity of why it's considered so great, I mean, I picked up FF10 for the same reason.

I don't think it will be bad, but the one thing that did frustrate me is that so many people were excited about a remake over newer games. I mean, I get it's not really right to tell others they should be more interested in other games, and I know gamers aren't just a single circlejerk of opinions, but it just makes me sad that games are bashed for not being creative enough, yet a remake overshadowed quite a bit of the new games at E3 when it was announced.
    Saaaay, wait a minute, you're not supposed to make posts that aren't really bad!

While I'm not a huge fan of 7, I hope it turns out well because that can improve the chances of 6 being updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Phayde View Post
    While I'm not a huge fan of 7, I hope it turns out well because that can improve the chances of 6 being updated.
    I'm more of a 7 fan than a 6 fan, but ouch. There's no way, I feel, the new Enix could ever touch 6. They might ruin an FF7 remake, but they'd violate FF6. Plus, come on, given their record with trying to turn FF7 into an extended franchise, I think it's safe to assume that when the remake turns into a financial hit, they're going to start pressing FF7 again and just forget about 6 like they've been doing since 1997.

Saaaay, wait a minute, you're not supposed to make posts that aren't really bad!
    Hush Tyrande.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find the original has an incredible amount of charm, but do go ahead and just make your opinion fact for everyone, please. I also find a lot of stuff indicates this will probably be bad, considering almost every single expanded universe FF7 thing has been, as far as I'm concerned, shitty. Dirge of Cerberus(lol so cool deep name that means nothing lol so deep), Advent Children(lol so cool dep name that means nothing lol so deep), Crisis Core(seriously fuck off with these dumb names Square Enix you dumb dickheads), that anime OVA adaption of Cloud's backstory where they made up a bunch of new Turks characters, half of them overly sexualized women.

I'm not feeling it. They haven't done a single good thing to the FF7 'franchise' and I highly doubt a "reimagining" is going to change that.
    It had charm at it's time you are not going to say it aged well, it didn't this is not an opinion the graphics do not age well this goes for all games in that graphic style of that time.

I also believe that it's not the same person working on FF7 that used to have lead on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, i wonder why people do this. Why go on a public forum demand opinions and then get mad that people don't share your opinion. Perhaps their idea that their opinion is the popular one gets shattered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    I never played the other Half Lifes so never got on the train but I really believe if HL3 ever comes out no matter how good it is it will bomb just because it's been built up so much.
    You should Black Mesa is a good remake and graphical improvement for the first installment and 2 plus episodes are actually also rather entertaining, if you like FPS games with a story it's one of the better ones out there.

It had charm at it's time you are not going to say it aged well, it didn't this is not an opinion the graphics do not age well this goes for all games in that graphic style of that time.

I also believe that it's not the same person working on FF7 that used to have lead on it.
    I think it has charm today. I just played the Steam 're-release' (after replacing all the awful PC versions of the midis with the original PS1 tracks) and it was incredibly charming. The NPC/Character graphics, while pretty much technically just shitty block-art that looks like someone put Minecraft in a blender have a cute and endearing style to them that not only do I feel has aged pretty well, but is actually pretty damn timeless.

The environment art also looks pretty good. Mostly because it too has a personal style to it but given what the game is, it has held up pretty well. It still looks quite good, considering how old it is.

Exactly, i wonder why people do this. Why go on a public forum demand opinions and then get mad that people don't share your opinion. Perhaps their idea that their opinion is the popular one gets shattered.
    I dunno, man. You're the one doing it, so you tell me.

I'm more of a 7 fan than a 6 fan, but ouch. There's no way, I feel, the new Enix could ever touch 6. They might ruin an FF7 remake, but they'd violate FF6. Plus, come on, given their record with trying to turn FF7 into an extended franchise, I think it's safe to assume that when the remake turns into a financial hit, they're going to start pressing FF7 again and just forget about 6 like they've been doing since 1997.
    There was an article a month or so ago that they are interested in doing more than 7, 6&9 were mentioned but nothing in stone, and 6 has been re-released twice in Final Fantasy Anthology (1999) and for the Gameboy (2007), so they haven't exactly forgotten about it. While their quality has dipped, I'd be willing to take the chance of an update.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    i just want them to finish hl2. they left us hanging mid story! qq.