Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I say trump. others aspecialy hillary are acting very very agrresive towards russians and not only, i grow tired of all these guys who yell about this and it looks like their main goal to make everyone slaves and become a king. atleast trump dont say all that shit and wants to work with everyone and not to go to war.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    See, you're just being naive. You really think that truly wealthy people don't make their money off the labor of others?

You might be "well-off" by some standards, but you'll never be truly wealthy with this "I do it all myself" nonsense. Unless you really think that the Walton family works all of their stores by themselves, or that Steve Jobs built every iPhone himself?
    They might. Not my fault those others don't take the thousands of opportunities around to elevate themselves. You're right. The fact that I may never have my own private plane doesn't bother me though. I know that I am well on the way to bringing in six figures on interest alone annually though. All through the fruits of my OWN labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    One can work both harder and smarter. I am an IT Consultant working for, arguably, the worlds most recognizable brand. My current engagement is focused heavily on process engineering as it allows me to solve problems at a macro instead of a micro level.
    And the guy who empties your trash or cleans the bathroom? Is he working hard?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    One can work both harder and smarter. I am an IT Consultant working for, arguably, the worlds most recognizable brand. My current engagement is focused heavily on process engineering as it allows me to solve problems at a macro instead of a micro level.
    Bully for you.

It doesn't change the fact that social mobility and monetary velocity are social problems that cannot be addressed by individual platitudes like 'work smart, not hard!' or whatever the bootstrap metaphor de jour is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    I don't usually talk about politics anywhere, but I have to say that the possibility that Donald Trump seems to have more to his presidential campaign than I ever thought he would.

I can't stand the guy. Even looking at him makes me cringe. Yet, he does have some ideas that I agree with, but certainly not enough to get me to vote for him. I don't need a media whore for president. I need someone who can get people to agree on things, and I think that makes him a terrible choice.

You also need to have at least SOME filters in your life, and he doesn't seem to have any.

But I look at the rest of the republicans and I am almost giggling at how badly they are representing themselves. I don't think any of them have a shot to win the nomination. My guess is that Scott Walker is the only one who could touch Trump, and he's an ass-hat too, with a touch of evil in him. But it's not really funny, as this may be the most important presidential election in decades. ( ISIS, Putin, more HIGH QUALITY jobs for Americans, and education being what I see as the top 4 issues )

So, what does that leave? Hillary Clinton? I think she will be the democratic nominee.

Not for me. I would absolutely vote for a woman, but just not her. I just don't trust her, and I dislike a lot of what she stands for.

So, once again, I will be casting a vote for someone I know has no chance to win. That sucks.... especially when I consider this to be such an important election.
    How can you put down every republican and defend Hillary Clinton with a straight face?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    And the guy who empties your trash or cleans the bathroom? Is he working hard?
    They didn't in school

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well at this point there are not many choices and we will have to pick one of either side. Right now I am looking at Carson, Trump, and Fiorina mostly because none of them have held elective office, which is a good thing because no one has got their claws into them yet. Are they all green, I would say no more so than half the presidents' this started out with and including the current person in the hold the office. He was a community organizer and a teacher, before becoming both a one term state senator and one term US senator.

Hillary is nothing more than a huge cluster fuck of a women that believes in nothing more than her own self and her own self preservation. It is time to start to clean out the executive and legislative branches of the government might as well start at the top and work our way down. All the career people need to go into retirement and this country needs to go back before the money and power took over the whole system. None of these people currently in Washington can work together to get anything done. All they do is blame one another and blame the other side when something does not get passed or they try to sell the country to highest bidder while the population get fucked.

Every politician needs to go. We need a clean slate of people that can come together to actually solve the hard problems and issues facing this country and the world at large. Obama promise change and did not deliver, he and his party are no better than the republicans currently running the show and many have been their for decades and done nothing but grease the hands that keep them constantly in office. People want really change stop listening the career politician that have failed to deliver their entire time in office.

10+ Year Old Account
    They might. Not my fault those others don't take the thousands of opportunities around to elevate themselves. You're right. The fact that I may never have my own private plane doesn't bother me though. I know that I am well on the way to bringing in six figures on interest alone annually though. All through the fruits of my OWN labor.
    If you live in society then you are not independent in the slightest.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

They might. Not my fault those others don't take the thousands of opportunities around to elevate themselves.
    When a person has to work 3 jobs to make ends meet, there isn't exactly much time to explore other opportunities. Not everyone had parents who paid for college and living expenses like mine did.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    America needs to stop believing the mythology that individual agency actually matters.

People do not get rich by working hard and saving money.

Subsidised telephony began under Reagan, try again.
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. That is hilarious. Wow. Working hard and saving money is EXACTLY how most people will get to that point. You are comparing the 1% to the rest of America. 1% is probably too generous its probably less than .1% that has billions of dollars. Stop operating with outliers and operate in reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zormis View Post
    They didn't in school
    And your evidence for this is what?

If you live in society then you are not independent in the slightest.
    He seems to have forgotten that the interest is coming on the backs of the bankers. If his story is true. So he needs them, at least.

Except that it is not a fantasy and I am well on my way to becoming a millionaire before I am 45....so keep plugging that line and those liberal arts degrees!
    A whole million?

That's about middle class. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Do you disagree with the body of work that your parents income is highly correlated to the income you will make in your life? Also, why would your individual anecdote apply to all 320 million Americans? Do you really believe their lives are just like yours?
    Considering I make more now than my parents have combined at any point in time....Sorry bud I won't let myself be poor.

Do you really believe that if everyone was more like me we would be worse off? lol

And your evidence for this is what?
    Statistics, how many college grads do you see emptying trash cans

10+ Year Old Account
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. That is hilarious. Wow. Working hard and saving money is EXACTLY how most people will get to that point. You are comparing the 1% to the rest of America. 1% is probably too generous its probably less than .1% that has billions of dollars. Stop operating with outliers and operate in reality.
    Actually, no.

You get rich by investing, not saving.

Moreover, don't use statistics if you claim that individual level solutions can resolve social problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zormis View Post
    Statistics, how many college grads do you see emptying trash cans
    Then you won't mind providing an example of such.

And no, I see college graduates working at McDonalds and Starbucks.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    A whole million?

That's about middle class. Good job.
    Thanks to Obama's policies, this is true, the middle class are worse off thank to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yes, and I ate cat food as a kid because my mother spent all our money on cocaine (that I got sent to go buy). Whoopdie doo, you think you're the only person with a sob story? You think you're the only one to "work hard" and get somewhere?

Some of you guys have no perspective at all and really believe your own bullshit about "working hard" and how no one else does it, all because some political figures told you so. Millions, billions of people "work hard". Working hard by itself doesn't mean shit, it's nothing more than the first step.
    What are you even talking about? The fact that people want what is at the end of the road but won't take your so called "first step". What the fuck can they expect then?

I am not looking for sympathy merely pointing out that my anecdotal experience, which it is, isn't going to define me like so many other people allow.

Then you won't mind providing an example of such.

And no, I see college graduates working at McDonalds and Starbucks.
    Liberal Arts don't count

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    He seems to have forgotten that the interest is coming on the backs of the bankers. If his story is true. So he needs them, at least.
    This is why conservatives try to discredit social science. Its conclusions don't agree with their mythology.