Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Honestly... I think my husband and I would pay off our debt. Maybe buy another vehicle, then stash the rest of it in the bank :P We live in rather nice base housing, and they just take his basic housing allowance per month. And we barely pay utilities (bill is usually in the negative). We don't need anything fancy at all. No kids for the foreseeable future.

And... we honestly have no idea wtf we're gonna do when he decides to retire. That's still extremely far off.

House would be maybe 500-1000 more sq feet. So 2500-3000, modest, I would however try to buy as large of chunk of land possible. ~200 acres.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same house, do up the loft with a conversion and maybe add a kitchen extension.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    Just for fun..... Here is mine:

Location: On a Caribbean island.... likely St. Johns or Antigua.... and close to local markets

Beach views.... don't need to be right on the ocean, but would want an awesome view

3000 SF, with a huge wrap around porch, and a definite Caribbean feel to it. 4 BR, 2 or 3 bath.... I enjoy visitors.

Great home theater..... gourmet kitchen

Maybe a pool, maybe not

1 acre lot with decent privacy

That's my idea of what I would like..... not outrageous.

I'm not saying you need to spend 5M bucks.... just that you have 5M buck..... spend what you like.
    2500sqft colonial on the outskirts of Wilmington NC. Gourmet kitchen, open floor plan, 4br 2.5ba, full finished basement with theater and gaming rooms, wraparound porch + deck, on 3 acres of land. Secluded master suite with walk-in closet, Jacuzzi tub, custom stone/tile shower, double granite/marble/quartz (not sure which) vanity. Essentially a $500,000-$700,000 home... oh... to dream...

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    This

3 bedroom, 1-2 bath with a large basement, gas/stone fireplace and 2 car garage, metal roof on a 40 acre wooded lot next to a lake, preferably in the Wisconsin Northwoods area. Land must be huntable with either a bow/shotgun and possibly rifle(bonus). Tons of storage space in the basement. Built on the side of a hill. Wood stairs headed to a 2 boat pier on the lake with a small comfortable bench on the end for evening watching.

Probably cost around 600k or so.

Invest the rest, live off the interest.

15+ Year Old Account
    A bigger apartment, but that's about it:

http://www.rew.ca/properties/V111418...e=vancouver-bc
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so is it really a house then? because even the most bare bones of houses around here start at 40 grand. also a lot of people are overestimating how much 5,000,000 buys today....that's how much a average middle class american saves and spends in 40 years of working.

20,000 is what I have left to pay.

I don't want a house that costs more to heat/cool than it would cost if I had a mortgage on a home. I was on a film shoot and this house was probably 10-11,000 sq. ft. I'm not sure on the specifics, but the owner mentioned how they have 10 air conditioning units. Can you imagine their electric bill each month?
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I don't want a house that costs more to heat/cool than it would cost if I had a mortgage on a home. I was on a film shoot and this house was probably 10-11,000 sq. ft. I'm not sure on the specifics, but the owner mentioned how they have 10 air conditioning units. Can you imagine their electric bill each month?
    Sadly, I can..... we have 3.... and and between those, and the pool heater - which my wife insists she absolutely needs - our bill is $700 a month in the summer ( for gas and electricity combines )..... So, in my area that would be $2000 a month, give or take.

Modest Home, self-built super speed fiber internet service no less than 5gb/s