Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The issue I had with it was being expected to pay my own travel expenses.
    There is a zero percent chance a company like Amazon expects employees to pay their own business-related travel expenses. Zero.

Maybe people occasionally paid for things out of pocket, but they will be reimbursed. Otherwise there would be an internal shitstorm, not to mention lawsuits out the ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Boy - your boss must be really proud of you. You openly admit that while you are at work - getting PAID to do a JOB - you are stealing from them by posting on a frivolous internet board when you should be doing your JOB. Nice!
    I should get a promotion for being able to multitask you mean. I'm sitting here listening to one guy talk to another guy about SQL procedures because he has to ask a question every 2 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Everyone has plenty of choice, and if you don't that's your own fault.
    Ahh yes. Blame workers and consumers. Seriously this mentality is unhealthy. Bad working conditions is bad no matter what.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Boy - your boss must be really proud of you. You openly admit that while you are at work - getting PAID to do a JOB - you are stealing from them by posting on a frivolous internet board when you should be doing your JOB. Nice!
    Don't judge. You have no idea what his work situation is.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't judge. You have no idea what his work situation is.
    Yeah I am in a training class right now on SQL and like I said the majority of the conversation is being monopolized by one guy who continues to ask silly hypothetical questions.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Yeah I am in a training class right now on SQL and like I said the majority of the conversation is being monopolized by one guy who continues to ask silly hypothetical questions.
    And I just sit at a computer until someone asks me how to start up MS Word and what not, so I just sit here posting until I'm needed for help (Which is why it took me so long to replace the original link).

Deleted
    Your ignorance is laughable. It's Amazon I assure you a company as large as Amazon has a Human Resources department.
    And that is supposed to be a guarantee against employee mistreatment? I guess I must be imagining these law suits :

http://uk.businessinsider.com/amazon...4-11?r=US&IR=T

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5283329.html

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...hysical-limit/

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

If the job is as bad as implied where people are crying on a daily basis all they have to do is file a lawsuit.
    It is and they do. Do you have any idea how many times a year large corporations get sued?
    I love how you just ignore reality and think that having a human rights department somehow magically prevents Amazon from mistreating its employees.
    I bet you also think WalMart is ran by saints.

please think before typing an ignorant load of shit in the future.
    Oh my! Guess I touched a sensitive nerve.
    Baby doesn't like having his opinions challenged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    Oh my! Guess I touched a sensitive nerve.
    Baby doesn't like having his opinions challenged.
    Nope don't really give a shit. I have been in management before and I know how people love to complain about absolutely nothing filing frivolous lawsuits because the company has money. As I said before if shit was that bad people wouldn't work there. Obviously the majority of employees there don't seem to have an issue. Perhaps the people complaining are a bunch of whiny self entitled shitlords? Amazon has 154,100 employees I see around a dozen active lawsuits against them. You would think there would be a lot more than 12 seeing it's just a hellhole to work at wouldn't you? Once again I will suggest what I already suggested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope don't really give a shit. I have been in management before and I know how people love to complain about absolutely nothing filing frivolous lawsuits because the company has money. As I said before if shit was that bad people wouldn't work there. Obviously the majority of employees there don't seem to have an issue.
    The majority of employees leave. According to the article, median tenure at Amazon is a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    The majority of employees leave. According to the article, median tenure at Amazon is a year.
    Training costs must be through the roof then. I mean at a simple restaurant the training costs where roughly $2,500 a person. Hell the job I have now has a 2 year minimum contract for the training they give us I can't see Amazon being as profitable as it is by just running through employees like that. Yeah looking around I see they have the second worst retention rate. I guess they fall for that $90,000 a year starting salary and find out quick they have to earn it.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2015-08-19 at 07:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Training costs must be through the roof then. I mean at a simple restaurant the training costs where roughly $2,500 a person. Hell the job I have now has a 2 year minimum contract for the training they give us I can't see Amazon being as profitable as it is by just running through employees like that. Yeah looking around I see they have the second worst retention rate. I guess they fall for that $90,000 a year starting salary and find out quick they have to earn it.
    Amazon isn't profitable. I mean that's mostly because of reinvestment in PPE, but still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like the Westeros of the business world, "Now you too Nancy play the Game of Orders!"
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

I was hoping to see something about amazons...

Anyway....
    I have been working in the Corporate retail environment for 25 years. And I can guarantee you that is not the direction it is headed. And I work for one of the largest. Albeit not in the call center.

So Amazon is only marginally more douchebaggish than Quicken Loans is, in some ways I'm surprised and others I'm not. On another note you can see why Bezos advocates for that cheap labor from the 3rd world.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

I have worked for both amazon and a certain parcel service. Amazon had much better working conditions of the two and was safer. At least the building was air conditioned and I didn't have to worry about heat stroke every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    I have worked for both amazon and a certain parcel service. Amazon had much better working conditions of the two and was safer. At least the building was air conditioned and I didn't have to worry about heat stroke every day.
    Now they do:

Amazon came under fire in 2011 when workers in an eastern Pennsylvania warehouse toiled in more than 100-degree heat with ambulances waiting outside, taking away laborers as they fell. After an investigation by the local newspaper, the company installed air-conditioning.

It's that West Coast Internet startup culture. Programming for 16 hours a day isn't uncommon. Yes they often make six figures and get stock options that may make them millions but once the company settles down like Amazon, they become just another business.

Some Internet startups are now experimenting with a "bossless" work environment. You're your own boss. Not everyone likes being their own boss.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Now they do:
    Sadly it's not all that uncommon in the warehouse business. Depends on where you go. Imagine that in Houston weather during summer. (it was)
    Last edited by delus; 2015-08-20 at 04:16 AM.

I worked a pair of contracts for one of Amazon's competitors who was otherwise known more for their systematic, tenure-based, and bureaucratic management system until after about 9 months with them. When I left, they seemed to fit the description of what people are describing of Amazon as local unions were attempting to capitalize on frustrations surrounding the drastic changes that were made.

Some people really aren't built to take the pressure. Knowing that you're going to be reviewed every month can be unsettling and, perhaps as obvious by even posts on this site, having your ideas picked apart can be insulting to others.

Deleted
    Well you can thank Reagan for breaking the unions backs thus allowing for shit like this to take place all over the US. Worst President in history.