Poll: How much will change you?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Angry Does money change you?

My question is What amount of money would change your behavior? At what point will you lie (or potentially harm others) directly to somebodies face for money?

I live in a rural area where you might think people treat each other good. This is not the case as a neighbor just lied about a situation that would've cost him about 1000$ for his mess up with a service done at his house, but instead he lied and blamed the employee at the company which cost the employee his job, but saved my neighbor about 1000$.
    I have personally seen this kind of behavior frequently with people around where I live, anything over 100$ and people all the sudden change, they will lie and do anything for money it seems like at that point. An article by the Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4531905.html) said ,"Another study suggested that merely thinking about money could lead to unethical behavior. Researchers from Harvard and the University of Utah found that study participants were more likely to lie or behave immorally after being exposed to money-related words." I find this interested and you can read the rest of the article its all about this kind of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohak View Post
    You are all blind to not see Paragons strat. They used gnome mages as sacrifice to the Earth Godess wich granted them unimaginable powahs and lazor beamz able to cut trough Arthas's tick armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    People choose PvP servers because they think they're going to be the most dangerous predator in the jungle. Then they find out that the reality is they're just the littlest guy in the prison shower.

no I wouldn't be changed by money

I can't say honestly, I've never reached the point where it's either lie for a lot of money or to save a lot of money.

I would imagine though it would destroy my conscience for my entire life if I tried to.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's no good answer to that for me. Who am I lying to? Who will it hurt? What's the cost vs. benefit?

The more money I make will change the % of money I will donate to an effective charity. If I made 1M a year I can afford to donate a much higher % of my income than if I were poor. That's pretty much the only thing that would change. I don't think me receiving more money will corrupt me, well at least I hope.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2015-08-19 at 08:37 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't need money to lie
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Gimme money and I'll tell you when it changes me.

Deleted
    In a way.

I'd be more inclined to help people via social housing and volunteering programs in high risk youth spots in my city, I'd also look after my family and pay to have us living in great accommodation.

But I think the worst thing is that I'd seriously consider sleeping on a bed of £50s.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Gimme money and I'll tell you when it changes me.
    heres [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] answer plz
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohak View Post
    You are all blind to not see Paragons strat. They used gnome mages as sacrifice to the Earth Godess wich granted them unimaginable powahs and lazor beamz able to cut trough Arthas's tick armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    People choose PvP servers because they think they're going to be the most dangerous predator in the jungle. Then they find out that the reality is they're just the littlest guy in the prison shower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it. If anything it was the lack of money several years back that changed me.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

I hope I wouldn't lie or cheat for any amount of money. That said, I wouldn't want to have $0 dollars either. As long as I have food and shelter, I'm generally happy.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by hordeorcrogue View Post
    heres [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] answer plz
    Nothing yet, gimme moar!

Could probably use a bit more options considering $100,000 is not that much money.

I had a windfall of cash when I was 19 while working at McDonald's and attending college.

I continued to do just that while living in what would have previously been outside of my means (i.e: paying for my friend's dinners, buying clothes that fit me, etc.)

Obviously having additional money allows you to do new things, but that by no means you've changed.

I'd like to believe that I was largely humble with my income and didn't change.

*Should note that this anecdote and its opinions are based on receiving money, not owing.

I make my money a few % at a time on things. Im still as cheap as before, and a bigger loser than I was before.

Money changes what headaches and problems I will deal with, if its going to be trouble I ask for more.

What a horrendous poll. $100,000 is such a small number to leave as your high-end.

I think somewhere around $50,000,000 I would change. $100,000 is less than half a year's salary...
    Call me Cassandra

I would never cost someone their job over money.... That person could have a family to feed and you might actually be taking food out of a child's mouth. You neighbor is a low life degenerate and basically a thief as well (since he legitimately owed the money and schemed his way out of it). If it was a neighbor I talked to, I probably wouldn't have anything to do with them anymore. What kind of an adult does something like that? How low can you sink?

Money and people are funny. With people I know, it seems the more money they get - the cheaper they get. It is an odd paradigm. There is a lot of confusion with money. Money is basically a means to an end (you trade it for goods). Too many people confuse the issue and look at money as the end.

For myself, time with people I care about and doing things I like to do is far more important than some money. I would say that as I have accumulated more money, my habits really haven't changed. I certainly would never cheat someone over money, as integrity is way more important than money.
    Last edited by Alydael; 2015-08-19 at 11:50 PM.

It's not always easy to observe change to personality from within. So suggesting to analyze someone else whom you've known poor (who later became rich) for example.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Deleted
    I sure hope so otherwise what's the point of having it if I can't use it to change my looks/social status/possessions/tastes/personality.
    Having money and staying the same old unrefined simpleton is like having diet coke.

I think people who are saying "none, I am who I am" are not fully considering the ramifications of either action nor inaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too broad of a question. Need more details. Got my dick stuck in the fan again.