Deleted

DPS and general performance advice

Hey everyone,

I've been a reader here for a while now, but this will be my first post. Been playing a rogue since TBC, but i haven't been raiding seriously since like dragon
    soul. Lately i came back to the game and to raiding more serious and i feel i can be doing a much better job. i used to perform at like 90th Percentile and above and i aim on getting back there, i do know that this will take time, so lets get started.

This are links to my last night HC run i'm Guyius:
    wwwwarcraftlogs.com/reports/fMrhJQAwbjm4H3z2#type=summary&boss=-3 please add a dot after the www, as i cant add links yet

I'd like to get advice on both combat and ass spec, in general and if you have specific fight advice i will also be really happy to hear about it.

This are some more specific questions i find myself lost about:

1. On Iskar i play combat and and i find myself coming really close to the red state on like 75%, 50%, ~26% and then i spam RS for like the last ~5% in order to start the add phase with the red state and maybe get to it again in the end of the phase, is that correct? or should i use my usual cycle? regarding CD there pretty okay and i get to use them on every add phase regularly, but usually ill have my AR some where in the middle of the phase and not on the start is that okay? or should i aim to start that phase with like KS into AR?

2. Okay so last night i got the HC tier from Gorefiend and finally got my 4pc + on tuesday i got the Archi trinket, and then ass spec become something completely different, before yesterday i was starving allot for combo points and energy, all of a sudden i find myself having to spam envenom like crazy or i'm capping energy and CP, it will be most notable on the Socrethar tries in the linked log. so whats your advice how do you play ass with 4pc and trinket, should i spam envenom even if > 2s? is it better then capping cp/energy? if i have multi targets with poisons/rupture and in the burn phase its just ridiculous, so any advice there will be appreciated.

3. Another thing is damage taken, am i taking to much damage for a rogue? am i using feint/clock enough?

4. Last thing is where do you read on our class? i mostly use MMO and Ravenholdt, are there more sources? and do you have good sources to read about starting to use simCraft and better understand of how to read logs.

Thanks, Guyius

1. I think at ~5% before phase change is a good time to work around getting red buff for add phase. Don't worry about having CDs up at the start of the phase, if they come up soon after that would be fine, too. As long as the adds are alive the entire duration of your CDs, there's nothing wrong with them becoming available a little later. If you have a Blademaster trinket, make sure that's up for add phase, though.

2. Capping energy/combo points is way worse than clipping an Envenom early. If you keep up Rupture, use your Dispatch procs only with Envenom up, and don't cap on combo points or energy, more Envenom just means more dps.

3. Damage taken is only a problem if your healers have a problem with it. Cloak every possible thing you can, figure out which things to Cloak for which fight: Iron Reaver: You can Cloak the Blitz and be picked up, staying with the boss and take zero damage, Tyrant you can Cloak every other Inferno and keep dpsing, Gorefiend you can drop a puddle early, stuff like that. Only Feint the truly deadly stuff if Cloak is down, Feint is a defensive that costs us dps, unlike most other classes. If you're healers are having trouble keeping everyone up because you are taking too much damage, that's generally on them.

4. I like to read Icy-Veins* to cackle at some of their suggestions. ShadowCraft is good for piece by piece comparisons of gear, Ravenholdt is good for the stuff you can't/shouldn't get from Icy-Veins. As for reading logs, that's just something I think you're going to have to do to learn. Just keep looking, clicking on different things, explore it. The Damage Done, Buffs, Debuffs, and Casts tabs are my favorite.

*Please don't ever use Icy-Veins past the point of a basic understanding of a new class, it's garbage past that point.

Deleted
    Thanks Quidamtyra, some good stuff there, ill do some more googling on reading logs etc.
    If more people got things to say about the logs it will be really helpful, would really love to hear some criticism regarding what i'm doing wrong.
    Thanks