Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[BrM] Crit / Mastery need advice

Hey fellas,
    I need some advice on gemming/enchanting as Brewmaster in HFC.
    I looked into alot of Guides and im not quite sure what to go for now, mastery or crit.
    The basics are simple, Mastery means more Mitigation and Crit means more avoidance and some extra DPS / Heals.
    But what does that basicly mean? When is Crit just to greedy because you use it for DPS and how much Mastery is fine to play with etc. Is there any rule of thumb for this? Or any other point to orientate on to decide on what to enchant and gem now?

Help is appreciated,
    thanks.

Deleted
    Mastery for survival, Crit for DPS.

That's literally it.

Quote Originally Posted by xen6077 View Post
    The basics are simple, Mastery means more Mitigation and Crit means more avoidance and some extra DPS / Heals.
    The more heals part is false. Mastery is king for self healing numbers as well. You only stack crit to do more damage, that is it and that is all as EB is an unreliable tool for tanking consistently.

Deleted
    From what I've checked and seen 90% of the monk tanks are going for crit. Even a nearly that high amount did that in progress time aswell. Aint that greedy to go for dps? I mean ok... more deeps is never bad but how do you justify when you die as tank? I remember our monk tank die and die again on Velhari i.e... whats the reason to argue that dps is "better" as a tank when things like this happen?

Deleted
    With the 4P + the raid CoolDowns, you are NOT supposed to die, even with a crit optimization.
    There's nothing more to say.

You can go with Mastery for more Survival - that being said, DPS is also a part of the progress.

I highly doubt 90% of monks have been crit enchanted/gemmed for Tier 18. Only ones I saw doing that were Misume and a few randoms on logs even went versatility (say what?). Misume switched to full Mastery for Archimonde though and have shown you can do some balls deep DPS still (unless he drunkenly regemmed/enchanted for that normal run). DPS is mostly dependant on your trinket choices and your playstyle.

You are not supposed to die regardless of what enchant and gems youre using. If you die you're in most cases doing something wrong or there have been other chain events leading up to your death.
    Last edited by Yenami; 2015-08-20 at 02:53 PM.

Misume posted on another thread that the last three bosses on Mythic hit like trucks (Tyrant, Manno, Archi). He went from crit to mastery to finish out the progression. Gemming and enchanting depend on your progression and raid. Are you getting trucked because your healers suck, but your gameplay is sound? Might want to go Mastery. Is healing not a big issue? Might want to go crit. Do you have 4 pc. or not? Go mastery until 4 pc and then make a decision.

Deleted
    The main issue (and the reason I changed) is that Crit has next to no usage on Archimonde whatsoever. The brunt of your damage comes from Death Brand which Crit does jack shit for, and Crit also doesn't help when soaking Doomfire.

Mastery on the other hand is a direct throughput increase to your most potent heal on the fight; your Guard. Anything that can boost that shield on this fight is a fucking godsend, and the main reason I swapped to Mastery/BA enchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Arman Kharas View Post
    Gemming and enchanting depend on your progression and raid. Are you getting trucked because your healers suck, but your gameplay is sound? Might want to go Mastery. Is healing not a big issue? Might want to go crit. Do you have 4 pc. or not? Go mastery until 4 pc and then make a decision.
    Literally always been this way. Nothing's changed.

I've been saying this since 5.0 and I'll probably be continuing to say it for months if not years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Literally always been this way. Nothing's changed.

I've been saying this since 5.0 and I'll probably be continuing to say it for months if not years to come.
    Other than bonus armor and 4-p tier, you can probably go whatever stats you want.

Secondary stats aren't measured in sums that will drastically change the game for BRM anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by stross01 View Post
    Other than bonus armor and 4-p tier, you can probably go whatever stats you want.

Secondary stats aren't measured in sums that will drastically change the game for BRM anymore.
    Yeah maybe if you're doing Normal mode. In real raids if you stack Versatility or Multistrike you're going to be less useful than Frost DK in Blood presence, and die about as easily.

I don't really know why people say things like this sometimes. The game has literally never been in a state where you can just "go whatever stats you want" and still be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    Yeah maybe if you're doing Normal mode. In real raids if you stack Versatility or Multistrike you're going to be less useful than Frost DK in Blood presence, and die about as easily.

I don't really know why people say things like this sometimes. The game has literally never been in a state where you can just "go whatever stats you want" and still be fine.
    I'm doing mythic. I'm pretty evenly spread between all stats other than mastery, and that's only 2074. There hasn't really been a point where a tank death is possible unless I'm doing something stupid. There hasn't been a point where I think 3% more stagger is going to make even a slight difference.

Edit:

What guild do you raid in where death is looming between every autoattack? Most monks are using fucking dps trinkets because being gibbed is no longer in the realm of possibility. You can do heroic and the first half of mythic without using guard. Do you play the same game as the rest of us?
    Last edited by stross01; 2015-08-21 at 12:11 AM.

I'm doing mythic. I'm pretty evenly spread between all stats other than mastery, and that's only 2074. There hasn't really been a point where a tank death is possible unless I'm doing something stupid. There hasn't been a point where I think 3% more stagger is going to make even a slight difference.
    You're not evenly spreading stats if you have 2k mastery. You're stacking mastery, get your statement right.

Meanwhile you're saying a bm can be fine if they stack multistrike in the raid which is roflcopter worthy from the guy who himself is stacking mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You're not evenly spreading stats if you have 2k mastery. You're stacking mastery, get your statement right.

Meanwhile you're saying a bm can be fine if they stack multistrike in the raid which is roflcopter worthy from the guy who himself is stacking mastery.
    I didn't always have this much mastery. And I can still get probably 1k more with correct itemization.

If I switch every gem and enchant to multistrike, will I instantly be unable to do the content? Will tank deaths just ruin the raid?
    Last edited by stross01; 2015-08-21 at 12:35 AM.

If I switch every gem and enchant to multistrike, will I instantly be unable to do the content? Will tank deaths just ruin the raid?
    No, because gems and enchants are not that much of your rating. You have 2k Mastery, that is stacking mastery. If you had 0 mastery and decided to stack something else, yes you would die a lot.

I don't even know what kind of point you're trying to make here. You obviously stack Mastery because you know Mastery is good, so why are you telling people that Versatility, Multistrike, and Haste are stats that you could go all in on without having other stats and not get absolutely trucked by the last few bosses? That's not a rhetorical question either; I legitimately have no idea why someone that demonstrates that they know one stat is better than the others would explicitly say the opposite.

No, because gems and enchants are not that much of your rating. You have 2k Mastery, that is stacking mastery. If you had 0 mastery and decided to stack something else, yes you would die a lot.

I don't even know what kind of point you're trying to make here. You obviously stack Mastery because you know Mastery is good, so why are you telling people that Versatility, Multistrike, and Haste are stats that you could go all in on without having other stats and not get absolutely trucked by the last few bosses? That's not a rhetorical question either; I legitimately have no idea why someone that demonstrates that they know one stat is better than the others would explicitly say the opposite.
    You can't "just go" all one stat; the gear in this tier is fucking trash itemization if that's what you're trying to do. What I'm saying is that you don't need 3000 mastery to be successful. Or 2000. Or 1500. Missing 1k mastery isn't going to cripple you.

How would you even get vers/ms/haste to high levels, while wearing 4-p tier and bonus armor trinket(s), while having the other stats at 0? What?

Also, I'm sure it slipped by, but why do you think you're going to die every global? What situation do you encounter with frequent tank deaths? If you don't have the reaction speed to expel harm or guard, or aren't energy pooling, you're probably playing the wrong class.

You can't "just go" all one stat; the gear in this tier is fucking trash itemization if that's what you're trying to do. What I'm saying is that you don't need 3000 mastery to be successful. Or 2000. Or 1500. Missing 1k mastery isn't going to cripple you.
    Have fun tanking Mythic Tyrant or Archimonde with 1k mastery bud. Let me know how that works out for you.

Have fun tanking Mythic Tyrant or Archimonde with 1k mastery bud. Let me know how that works out for you.
    I'd put Fel Lord in need of mitigation more than Tyrant. I haven't done Archimonde yet, but I can only imagine that tank problems are the least of the worries on that fight.

Also, I'm sure it slipped by, but why do you think you're going to die every global? What situation do you encounter with frequent tank deaths? If you don't have the reaction speed to expel harm or guard, or aren't energy pooling, you're probably playing the wrong class.

Edit again:

There are a pretty serious amount of ranked monks with 1500 mastery and higher haste/crit killing every single boss in the zone (other than Archimonde, as the sample size is small.) Do you think they(we) have fun with that?
    Last edited by stross01; 2015-08-21 at 12:56 AM.

Deleted
    I'd put Fel Lord in need of mitigation more than Tyrant. I haven't done Archimonde yet, but I can only imagine that tank problems are the least of the worries on that fight.

What the fuck are you talking about. Fel Lord is a joke tank damage wise. Tyrant is one of the hardest hitting bosses in the raid.

Archimonde is 350-400k dtps on tanks so no, tank issues are not the least of worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Misume View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about. Fel Lord is a joke tank damage wise. Tyrant is one of the hardest hitting bosses in the raid.

Archimonde is 350-400k dtps on tanks so no, tank issues are not the least of worries.
    Fel Lord is higher spike.

Also, holy jesus christ, I hope that you never go more than a half second without 4 100k hps healers spamming you! None of the available logs for Archimonde show even half that much intake and, at times, less than previous bosses. Archimonde's melee is less than Iron Reaver's. Monks are taking 1mil~ from Death Brand over the course of the entire fight.

Are you sitting down to take 400k dtps? Do you have gear on?

Edit again again: Wrong about Arch melee; it's about the same as Iron Reaver's, depending on trinkets.
    Last edited by stross01; 2015-08-21 at 01:10 AM.