Disruptive EQ2 players will be banished to a prison server forever

Just stumbled upon this

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-prison-server

Thoughts? Could / should this be transferred to WoW?

/ Z.

Nah just stick with the usual penalty volcano that Blizzard has set in place. As for EQ2 I don't really play it but it sounds interesting this feature to say the least. On one hand all the disruptive players are away from the well behaved ones, on the other hand it could create a barely populated server. Personally I just think suspension, final warning then permaban works fine.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Not only does this seem to be a good idea, but I'll be keeping an eye on how it goes just out of curiosity even though I only play EQ1 and not two. A server full of trolls and assholes could be a lot of fun for people who enjoy stealing pixels or messing with people who enjoy stealing pixels or messing with people.
    Wouldn't work for wow though. "This server is full", no matter how many prison servers you make.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is really odd in the face of Smedley's departure via internet abuse, because it's just going to create a cesspool of the most toxic behavior imaginable. A no man's land where lack of ethics are allowed to fester. In real life this might be ok b/c the individuals in question will never return to the general populace, but in a video game it's almost an act that supports the growth and further development of this behavior.

I'm very interested on a personal level, and a little amused, but really concerned on an intellectual level. This seems like a terrible idea.

Edit: the fact that you can choose to go here further makes transparent their effort to market this server as a fun attraction to go for a 'wild' experience. This seems to be rather poor timing considering what they've gone through via Smed.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2015-08-20 at 09:31 PM.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    this sounds like a lot of fun lol

Very good idea. Eager to see how this rolls out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I think this is really odd in the face of Smedley's departure via internet abuse, because it's just going to create a cesspool of the most toxic behavior imaginable. A no man's land where lack of ethics are allowed to fester. In real life this might be ok b/c the individuals in question will never return to the general populace, but in a video game it's almost an act that supports the growth and further development of this behavior.

I'm very interested on a personal level, and a little amused, but really concerned on an intellectual level. This seems like a terrible idea.

Edit: the fact that you can choose to go here further makes transparent their effort to market this server as a fun attraction to go for a 'wild' experience. This seems to be rather poor timing considering what they've gone through via Smed.
    I mean if it gets out of hand they can just delete the server and ban every account on it. Considering your entire account goes to the shithead server, I doubt many people will be transferring considering the risk. It'll prolly come with it's own fine print, so when they delete it and all your shit too bad so sad. I can see the worry about putting all the shitheads in one place, but when it's in a virtual controlled environment I doubt it will be an issue. Shitheads usually stick together anyway because we sure as hell don't want them around, so if anything this will help them make shithead friends and maybe learn how to play nice (lol reach for the stars right?).
    Smed shouldnt have stepped down, it was a weak move. Beaten by a bunch of no life kids on the internet... that's his legacy now. Should have fought back harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    I mean if it gets out of hand they can just delete the server and ban every account on it. Considering your entire account goes to the shithead server, I doubt many people will be transferring considering the risk. It'll prolly come with it's own fine print, so when they delete it and all your shit too bad so sad. I can see the worry about putting all the shitheads in one place, but when it's in a virtual controlled environment I doubt it will be an issue. Shitheads usually stick together anyway because we sure as hell don't want them around, so if anything this will help them make shithead friends and maybe learn how to play nice (lol reach for the stars right?).
    Smed shouldnt have stepped down, it was a weak move. Beaten by a bunch of no life kids on the internet... that's his legacy now. Should have fought back harder.
    He did fight back for a couple of years. But there is nothing you can really do about them. There is no real way to fight back against anonymous people on the internet that can be from any country. Even the guy that made smedley's plane do a forced landing because of a bomb thread got off with a slap on the wrist and then bragged about it to smedley. So it's better just to step down because you're fighting a losing battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    This sounds a lot like an idea someone came up with when the topic of, "Banning people is nice for community, but costs us money, hmm...how can we ban people but still get their money..." was brought up in a meeting.
    Can't see anything wrong with that. I mean the players banned to the prison server can just stop playing. They had to stop playing anyway if they were banned.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Which did indeed result in some of the worst shit I had seen out of the internet at the time. I thought it was funny at the time, ("Hey, they found out where that guy in that other guild works and got him fired!") but looking back, not so much.
    Yeah...when you invite that much ill intention into one place, you're bound to have some rather unpleasant outcomes. I wonder if people at Daybreak realize the internet is 'real life'? I think they'll learn pretty quick, which kinda goes along with your anecdote.

It's much more interesting to see these types of ideas represented in the actual design of a game(like Eve) instead of a weird skinners boxesque experiment. What's real inside the box? Who knows, we're not going to support it just take the money and have no responsibility. Yay.
    BAD WOLF