Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    And for ganking that random lowbie that just happened to be in the wrong place while I was in a pissy mood.

Let's not lie here. There're only 2 camps that desperately want back flying. The Archaeology crew and the Ganking Group. Give you one guess which one heavily outnumbers the other. The one thing I like about no flying is that it gives me time to get on my main for some sweet payback since said ganker can't just fly away after they've done the deed. It's funny how many like to defend their actions as causing "world pvp" and then run like bitches when they see another 100 gunning for their ass.
    World PVP isn't a thing. Ganking is something that happens to nobody ever anymore unless they're dumb enough to play on a pvp server.

I want flying as part of neither group. Part of the group who just doesn't care about the content in between my A and B goals. If I decide to do something I want to fly straight to it, do it and then move on to the next thing. I care fuck all for mountain range 55 or beautiful valley 42.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The manual of extreme hyperbole.
    So true, so true.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've never once complained about the pricing, except back in BC when it was a total bitch to get 5k.
    My point is if Blizzard does something, you whine about it. It is sad that it went over your head but not surprising.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    I personally just want to buy a manual and fly. I don't want to complete all the content there is, especially because it's not relevant content to my toon. Just a boring snooze fest that means nothing. I just can't be bothered doing it and I will probably end up not flying at all in Draenor because of this.

Anyone else who just can't be bothered doing the achieve for flying? I really just want a vendor/trainer like in previous expansions. Worked fine.
    I was literaly about to post a thread regarding this exact topic.. I don't feel like at all neither... Tho i will probably end up doing it, yet i am NOT fond of this path Blizzard is taking regarding flying and the philosophy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The manual of extreme hyperbole.
    Even people who have been quite loud about their dislike for grinds have said the "grind" for pathfinder is negligible. Yes you are right hyperbole is involved here but not in the way you would prefer it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oprawinfury View Post
    I was literaly about to post a thread regarding this exact topic.. I don't feel like at all neither... Tho i will probably end up doing it, yet i am NOT fond of this path Blizzard is taking regarding flying and the philosophy about it.
    The meta achievement involves you actually playing the game. If you don't like playing the game why do you need flying? Better question is why do you even care about flying at all?

And no the usual hurr durr answer of "pet battles and arch" isn't good enough especially considering the fact both of those involves their own grinds.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oprawinfury View Post
    It isn't all that different from having a straight gold cost though. Because you have to earn gold somehow and most people earn it by doing the general things the achievements cover. It also evens the playing field so to speak because not everyone is gold capped. It makes the cost equal for everyone rather then being negligible for some (assuming they make it more then a thousand gold).

If they do treasures again for Legion and include it as a requirement for flying like in WoD then most "smart" players will have the flying achievement covered on the way to leveling their first character. Because if you didn't gather treasures while leveling you were inefficient and lost out on a ton of easy experience. (Like all of those +rested treasures in Spires).

The achievement philosophy brings it back into line with what it was in Burning crusade. Where it had a relatively steep cost (for epic flying). This way they get what they want of having a longer delay in no-flying while allowing people to fly after earning it and seeing that content. I honestly don't care either way in the no flying or flying camp. Which is why I think I prefer the achievement system. About the only real inconvenience and times I've missed flying is when I died. Always allow flying as a corpse and I won't care when I get flying.

That and I haven't done much archaeology lol.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Lots of nerds in this game who don't understand the remainer of the playerbases needs and wants in regards to having accessible content. Herpa derpa do.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

Deleted
    This achievement is fair enough. Once I'm done with it, I'm done with it on my entire account, including any and all new characters I will level up as well.

I prefer that to paying 10k gold on each individual character. Or even not having flying available because hey! it's a great idea to gate 85 MOP flying book through BMAH!

And Draenor Pathfinder really isn't that bad. Patch 6.2 reputation grind is dull but it can be skipped if you have a decent supply of gold to your name. Rest can be done in the matter of few hours because let's face it, you will not be starting from scratch, but rather filling up the gaps in anything you have left off during leveling your main back in November.

The only complaint I have with this is that the waiting was too long. Being forced to the ground for almost a year is unacceptable, especially when this content became obsolete 3 weeks after launch. A proper way of implementing flying in wod would be:

6.0 launch, no flying
    6.1 Pathfinder released, flying in mainland Draenor
    6.2 Tanaan Pathfinder added, flying in Tanaan unlocked through this new achievement

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Anyone else who just can't be bothered doing the achieve for flying? I really just want a vendor/trainer like in previous expansions. Worked fine.
    meh I had 3/4 of it done before I cared to finish it.

That's the whole issue that it's so easy that it's mundane, boring and uninspiring. It's just forced bullshit because Blizzard can't decide they want to keep flying or not.
    Blizz did decide. They decided they didn't want flying and the players threw tantrum. Imagine a kid going to the store and asking for candy and the parent says "maybe, we will see" and then at the checkout the kid asks again and the parent says "no". Kid then falls onto the floor kicking and screaming, yelling "YOU PROMISED ME CANDY" at the top of his lungs for 15mins so the parent buys the kid some candy just to shut em up, but then the kid realizes he didn't get the exact candy bar he wanted so he is still pouting. This is exactly what happened with flying.

I got the achievement a long ass time ago so I don't really care, however I would just like to submit one thing...

Blizzard's reasoning is they want you to experience all the ground bullshit before you can simply fly over it all.

My reasoning is, the expansion is almost over, if there is still ground bullshit you haven't done it's probably because you have no fucking interest in doing it at all. We've had a year to do all this crap if we actually wanted to. I personally didn't do any of it until it was announced that it was required to fly because i just dont give a shit about that kind of nonsense and stupidity. I play wow to kill bosses, flying helps me to get places quicker to either kill bosses or do prep-work that is required to maximize my efficiency at killing bosses. I have zero desire to do all the random shit they want you to do.

It's not exactly earning something if it takes no effort to get, it's just a daily grind. It's like awarding flight from completing all LFR wings for 12 consecutive weeks. Time consuming and annoying as fuck sure, but did you actually earn anything from it? Not really. You just sank time into doing something brain dead easy to earn something completely unrelated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    Blizz did decide. They decided they didn't want flying and the players threw tantrum. Imagine a kid going to the store and asking for candy and the parent says "maybe, we will see" and then at the checkout the kid asks again and the parent says "no". Kid then falls onto the floor kicking and screaming, yelling "YOU PROMISED ME CANDY" at the top of his lungs for 15mins so the parent buys the kid some candy just to shut em up, but then the kid realizes he didn't get the exact candy bar he wanted so he is still pouting. This is exactly what happened with flying.
    More accurately, it's going to the same store every day for the past 10 years and buying them a piece of candy each time, then arbitrarily deciding one day that THE CHILD will enjoy their experience in that store more if they DONT get their piece of candy. Then the child is understandably upset that it was denied them for no reason and under the bullshit guise that it will be more enjoyable for THEM.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Blizzard holding flying hostage behind terrible content just to get the players to do it is pathetic.
    THIS. So much this. This content is just shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Community: "WTF Blizz we have nothing to do lol!"
    Blizz: "OK here you go."
    Community: "WTF Blizz why are we supposed to do things to get stuff?"
    Blizz: ...

Only if it would be BOA and 100-110 one, as WotLK one. Being able to level characters with flying - is one of my essential demands. Otherwise it's better to do achievement once and then forget about no flying forever.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    Extremely bad parenting. Parents need to set clear rules, yes or no, not maybe. Just like Blizzard, they kept dangling the carrot so proflyers would not unsub and then in the end said 'nah, just kidding, it's no'. Of course the proflyers got upset at that point. Blizzard should have said no or yes (and when) at launch, so everyone knew what they were getting into. I know I'm not getting Legion until I know when flying gets in.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Extremely bad parenting. Parents need to set clear rules, yes or no, not maybe. Just like Blizzard, they kept dangling the carrot so proflyers would not unsub and then in the end said 'nah, just kidding, it's no'. Of course the proflyers got upset at that point. Blizzard should have said no or yes (and when) at launch, so everyone knew what they were getting into. I know I'm not getting Legion until I know when flying gets in.

Blizzard must have assumed the player base wouldn't collectively react like a spoiled 3 year old toddler and instead tried to treat them like adults. Seems like they were wrong.
    Last edited by Jaman; 2015-08-29 at 01:00 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    The Achievment is counterintuitive in the sense that whatever places you wish to visit in Draenor, it is more efficient doing to by foot than spending significantly more time on foot for the Flying Achievment.
    That makes little sense. You spend significantly more time on foot by doing the requirements then for doing anything else in the game? It is only going to take you slightly longer to explore all the zones on foot. Most of the exploration is achieved by doing the quests and treasures required for the achievement.

Also if you factor in the end reward of flying it isn't more efficient just to keep doing everything on foot. It will always be more efficent to do one time achievements to enable faster travel in Draenor.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I like this method, and if they'd stuck to it, like the originally announced, it could have been done in a more interesting manner. It should have been tied into a campaign quest chain having to do with the Arrakoa or some Sethekk artifact that was infecting our garrison (making us unable to fly, but allowing us to find apexis crystals and all that jazz... completing the chain could allow us to toggle "flight" or "puzzles/quests" with a CD).

Engaging in the world and the content there is a great way to gate a reward that lets you bypass that content. WoD had the potential to have the best flight unlocking so far, but it wasn't because of their mixed messages between indecision and desire for perma-grounding players. Probably less indecision than they are willing to admit, but more than the conspiracy theorists want to believe.

Customers aren't reacting like toddlers. They're reacting like customers who are getting a bait and switch. Chill with the ad hominems.
    Last edited by Gwiez; 2015-08-29 at 04:59 PM.