Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Dunno I never really considered it culture
    Well, I'm sure a huge chunk of the country doesn't celebrate the burning of Zozobra, but my state does. Lots of different culture.
    Food is also certainly culture, and not many places serve green chile on everything that they eat.

10+ Year Old Account
    It signifies agreement amongst the audience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    It signifies agreement amongst the audience.
    What does?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I'll clap at whatever I want in America.
    Damn right.

Nothing wrong with clapping after a movie, anyway. So what if the cast and crew aren't there to appreciate it? It's still a way for the audience to mutually acknowledge the enjoyed experience. It's still an acknowledgement of the history of entertainment when the only performance was live performance, and applause was part of the experience. Same "logic" means it's stupid to laugh, scream, gasp, or cheer aloud during a movie in the theater - it's not like it's reaction or feedback for the performers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Damn right.

Nothing wrong with clapping after a movie, anyway. So what if the cast and crew aren't there to appreciate it? It's still a way for the audience to mutually acknowledge the enjoyed experience.
    When you are watching movies at home, do you clap?
    It's still an acknowledgement of the history of entertainment when the only performance was live performance, and applause was part of the experience.
    There are still live performances. Clap there. That's where the clapping belongs. Some people just don't understand it, because seeing a movie is kind of a similar situation as watching theater. Just because you sit in a room watching entertainment doesn't mean clapping should be involved.
    Same "logic" means it's stupid to laugh, scream, gasp, or cheer aloud during a movie in the theater - it's not like it's reaction or feedback for the performers.
    Showing emotions are quite different from clapping.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    i didn't know clapping at the end of a movie was a thing... never seen that hear, i don't think anyone in the UK would be confident enough to clap at the end of a movie

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i didn't know clapping at the end of a movie was a thing... never seen that hear, i don't think anyone in the UK would be confident enough to clap at the end of a movie
    They would likely be mocked

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    We're British, emotions belong behind closed doors with a cup of tea.
    yet only last week some rowdy teenagers were ruining The Gift by howling and hollering every 20 minutes despite the movie being a horror. SMDH

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    yet only last week some rowdy teenagers were ruining The Gift by howling and hollering every 20 minutes despite the movie being a horror. SMDH
    Was it a shit film then

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    In German there is a specific word for this, Landungsklatscher, which means "a person clapping when landing". It is a certain type of people, those who clap when a plane lands or any other mundane event happens. Usually babies and people with mental retardation clap when they are happy.
    Clapping after a landing in any kind of sporty weather is just good manners, IMO. Respect, relief, appreciation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Clapping after a landing in any kind of sporty weather is just good manners, IMO. Respect, relief, appreciation.
    Do you clap when your bus gets you home in a shitty weather?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is something I have noticed for some time, usually when attempting to promote a film. People reacting over the top to a film be it everybody screaming or laughing. Now I have been visiting cinemas regular for 22 years and never once experienced this in cinemas
    I take it, you've never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show at a movie theater, ideally at a late night double feature?
    That always was, and still is a big crowd interaction party style, ever since the movie came out.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

So it's common in USA?
    The only kind of crowd outburst I can ever remember in a theater was when the Star Wars theme started during Episode I and you got the scrolling text. There was a bit of cheering, but that's about it.

Otherwise, I can't say that I've ever seen it happen here after a movie. Maybe in other parts of the country?
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2015-08-22 at 05:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Do you clap when your bus gets you home in a shitty weather?
    lol.....
    I get your drift, but I have experienced landings where the entire plane did indeed frantically applaud, and rightfully so. When you essentially realize that you're about to fall out of the sky, and you already start counting the remaining seconds of your life.. Then you will applaud, if the pilot manages to get you to safety...
    Happened to me in the skies over Frankfurt... We were told our landing was delayed and we have to circle..... Was kinda cool, for a bit, until we almost collided with another plane, and our own plane dived sideways.. It's a crazy feeling when you look straight out of the window and you don't see the sky and clouds, instead the ground, and if it wasn't for your seat belt you'd fall out of the chair.
    Trust me, if you get through something like this, you will applaud too lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Trust me, if you get through something like this, you will applaud too lol
    Oh I've been there. We were circling around Frankfurt (really, this happened there, too) for 2 hours, because the landing gear didn't come out. The pilot did close flyby's on the airport so they could watch with binoculars if they see the landing gear out. In the end they finally got the landing gear out and we were able to land.
    Fire department and ambulances were waiting for us there of course.

Also, I've been landing in a ridiculous storm in Miami. Never experienced so rough and fast landing. The plane almost dived vertically and I was sure we were going to crash...but no...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I take it, you've never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show at a movie theater, ideally at a late night double feature?
    That always was, and still is a big crowd interaction party style, ever since the movie came out.
    Yeah but tbf it is a musical

10+ Year Old Account
    What does?
    Clapping. And it varies by culture.