Raiding on DPS toon with 640 ring?

I'm not looking to jump into Mythic right away obviously, but my Mage is 685 at the moment although only has a 640 ring. How much would a 640 Legendary ring hold me back in raids and would raids even take in people at this point who are so far behind in their legendary rings? The "catch up" mechanic or buff that they put in hardly makes a difference so it would be at least 2 months before I could even get my 715 ring.

Deleted
    You can wear a 700 pvp ring until you catch up with the legendary quest chain. 1250 conquest points equal 7 wins.

You can just get a ring pretty easily and just not use it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmirino View Post
    How much would a 640 Legendary ring hold me back in raids and would raids even take in people at this point who are so far behind in their legendary rings?
    There's no 640 legendary ring. So it won't hold you back any differently than any other 640 ring. Which is, not at all. Of course it's not as good as BiS, but that's how it is with anything pre-BiS...

The catch-up is crazy fast and with the weekly quest next patch it will be just retardedly fast. Did you build a shipyard?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only raiding groups which will give you a hard time about it are those who rely on over-gearing an encounter instead of skill to progress. 640 is low but it's even less of an issue the further down in difficulty you go and since you're not jumping in to Mythic, no sweat.

There are options to improve that slot until you get your 690 as discussed above as well as spending 25k Apexis to get a ring and an upgrade token to get 695 which takes, like , two days if you start from zero.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Photek View Post
    The catch-up is crazy fast and with the weekly quest next patch it will be just retardedly fast. Did you build a shipyard?
    I did, can you enlighten me on the catch up quest this upcoming patch?

I did, can you enlighten me on the catch up quest this upcoming patch?
    http://ptr.wowdb.com/quests/40235-abrogator-arbitrator
    http://ptr.wowdb.com/quests/40237-work-work-stoppage

Just realized if you never finished a legendary you don't have any catch-up though. Still the Shipyard offers an extra legendary quest.
    Last edited by Photek; 2015-08-21 at 12:36 AM.

Deleted
    You can use Apexis Crystals for a daily or weekly(not sure) quest which in return gives you the quest items for the later stages of the ring. If you do this and you do lfr weekly and you do your garrison and shipyard regularly, it will take you a month or so until you have the 715 ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    There's no 640 legendary ring. So it won't hold you back any differently than any other 640 ring. Which is, not at all. Of course it's not as good as BiS, but that's how it is with anything pre-BiS...
    No need to try and start a fight, you know he ment the legendary quest ring which you upgrade and upgrade til it reaches legendary

Deleted
    It will take you 1month and maybe a week to get the 715 ring if you do LFR every week and normal table missions + shipyard missions every day. You can get the legendary item missions once per day per table.

Highmaul quest should take you 1 reset or at worst 2.

You should be able to get 680/690 fairly quick. Should be fine for normal and maybe the easier heroics

Until you get the ring with proc (690 is it not?) just wear whatever ring has the highest itemlvl / best stats. Once you get the ring with the procc however, that one will be better due to the +10%/+15% stat proc.

At this point I dont think a lot of later mythic guilds would take you but dont imagine that a guild 2/3 of 13 would turn you down based solely on your lack of legendary.

It's unfortunate design that anyone who had to be away from the game for a while and wants to raid this tier is going to be behind for ~25-30 weeks due to the archimonde upgrade.

The "catch up" mechanic or buff that they put in hardly makes a difference so it would be at least 2 months before I could even get my 715 ring.
    From the day you get to lvl 100 it would take about 1 month to get 715 ring. You get so many missions for all those crappy stones you need to collect that it speeds it up alot. I got that 690 one in just one reset.

It only takes you 4 heroic 5man dungeons and a solo boss to upgrade from 640 to 680, though. Then starts the farming of the stones (Highmaul only) & runes (Blackrock Foundry only) ect.

Why do you only have the 640 ring? It can be upgraded to 680 in a couple of hours.