Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is it Safe to get Windows 10?

Hey

My computer just gave me some notice that Windows 10 is ready and my comp can be upgraded... But i'm scared because all i hear are people saying their programs/Games Broke in someway after they downloaded it.. I'm also scared that it will wipe my harddrive clean (As in if the upgrade did a reformat on my Comp)

Soo.. Do you guys have any experience with this? Is Windows 10 safe ? or does it just break everything?

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it's fine. But I suggest reading up on the security/privacy issues.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

From what Ive Heard its case by case. I had no problem at all upgrading, took less than 10 mins. No files whatsoever lost.
    What you migth have to do is go thro some programs and drivers to make sure they are up to date for Win10, thats all. If all else fails you have a "revert to previous"-button thats as easy as the installation.
    I was Once a Nab
    Then I rolled a Paladin
    Thats when I found out
    that I REALLY was a Nab

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I upgraded to Win10 day 1. No games broke and nothing was wiped from my drives. The entire process took me less than an hour.
    Yep, same, only had a small sound drive issue or something but that was probably because I updated before it was ready for my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    My PC had a lot of stuff wiped, but that might be because I forced the upgrade before it was ready for me.
    My laptop has had no issues at all.
    My friend's PC had some issues with his videocard, but an update fixed that.
    Both my friend and I forced our upgrades and didn't lose anything, so maybe there's something else at play?

Do a backup. But if your setup isn't ages old you will most likely have zero problems.

And yeah, during the installation remove 4 crosses and you are safe from the "security issues" those morons on the internet are circlejerking over, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    My laptop was fine when I upgraded. No signs of anything out of the ordinary and I have had it for about 2 or 3 weeks now. Had to update some drivers and what not but other than that no problems.

Seems fine to me. Breakages can happen, but that's why they released it in waves. Any errors found can be fixed and hopefully not fuck up the next wave of invites.

It's not that different to Win 7 or 8 though. A lot of people seem to think it sped up WoW, but I'm entirely unconvinced without a set of benchmarks from identical machines with different OS. WoW wildly swings between 100fps and 10fps at the best of times.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a few issues with it. Diablo 3 wouldn't run, then I had a point where no games would run but, there is one thing that fixed it and now everything works fine:

Worst case scenario, as long as you don't wipe everything, there's a "restore windows 8" button in settings.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I installed mine not too long ago and everything has been great! Cortana is awesome

I'm liking it. There's like 20 ways to do the same thing, like open your download directory in windows explorer and you get to pick the way you like the most. So it's almost custom for me.

I don't like the little ad that pops open in the bottom right corner.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Upgraded. Everything is fine. Does not smell bad like Windows 8.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do a full backup of your stuff. You should be doing this anyway.

Here's an article of how to do a complete image of your computer, so you can go back if you don't like Windows 10.

http://www.howtogeek.com/223139/how-...to-windows-10/

Another handy article:

http://www.howtogeek.com/226100/the-...-need-to-know/

15+ Year Old Account
    So.. My Windows copy isn't entirely legal It's activated though, and I have the Windows 10 pop-up. Still safe to download?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I'm liking it. There's like 20 ways to do the same thing, like open your download directory in windows explorer and you get to pick the way you like the most. So it's almost custom for me.

I don't like the little ad that pops open in the bottom right corner.
    Ad? What ad?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    So.. My Windows copy isn't entirely legal It's activated though, and I have the Windows 10 pop-up. Still safe to download?
    Yes, Microsoft is giving free/full versions of Windows 10 to all Windows pirates in the hope that you'll start keeping your system up to date and virus/malware/botnet free.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Ad? What ad?
    It pops open occasionally in the bottom right corner, almost like the tray notifications in windows 7. It's not so much notifications as it's reminding me of the stuff I can get in the Windows Store. I upgraded a clean install of win7.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    It pops open occasionally in the bottom right corner, almost like the tray notifications in windows 7. It's not so much notifications as it's reminding me of the stuff I can get in the Windows Store. I upgraded a clean install of win7.
    Huh, I don't get those. Awkward, maybe the US Win10 is different and allows those ads?

Huh, I don't get those. Awkward, maybe the US Win10 is different and allows those ads?
    I don't get them either, and I have US Win10. It might of be a setting in the Microsoft store or something? I've never started the store app.

Hey Hubcap, try seeing if when you open the Action Center from the bottom right hand corner, right click on one of the quick icon things (Like "Quiet Hours"), hit settings, and then scroll down to see if under "Show Notifications from these apps" if there's the Windows Store perhaps?
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2015-08-21 at 03:33 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a advertisement as such. It's a Pop-up Notification.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    My copy of Windows 7 wasn't legit either, I got the free W10 download without any problems at all. Everything runs just fine.