Would you pay for an extension?

Would you pay for a browser extension?

If yes, would you:
    • at what price?
    • do a subscription?
    • if yes to a subscription, at what price/timeframe?

If no, why not:

Also, I am expecting someone to say they entered this discussion expecting another type of extension. Shame on you.

Changelog:
    Add request for explanation for no.
    Last edited by twiddler; 2015-08-21 at 04:11 PM.

What does it do?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Due to the flood of information you provided in the OP, I literally can't say anything else but yes.

Who wouldn't want THAT extension?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Depends on what the extension does I have not paid for any yet but if it were doing something amazing I might.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Due to the flood of information you provided in the OP, I literally can't say anything else but yes.

Who wouldn't want THAT extension?
    I know right

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Depends on what the extension does I have not paid for any yet but if it were doing something amazing I might.

- - - Updated - - -

I know right
    All the stuff it does and things it provides is absolutely phenomenal!

I came in expecting this to be about another type of ext....oh, dammit.

OT: No. Although...Firefox user here, and if if NoScript weren't free, I'd probably be willing to drop a few bucks, as long as it's not absurd. And no, I wouldn't do a subscription fee.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2015-08-21 at 04:29 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

I know right
    The question is more so pertinent to the trend of individuals being less willing to pay for software than it is to the software itself.

Right now am using Microsoft Edge browser. It's very fast but currently has no addons. I guess they are going to have extensions in the near future. I am mostly missing adblock but I would like an RSS client too. Thing is, there are a lot of websites that do what extensions can do.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    The question is more so pertinent to the trend of individuals being less willing to pay for software than it is to the software itself.
    But willingness to pay is directly tied to what the extension does. If it's some cosmetic foofoo or something that ties to another service which already makes money from add revenue, then no. If it's some awesome augmented reality life changing thing, then yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    Oh I' sorry as a developer I'm more interested in what something does than if people are willing to part with money or not.

The most important thing to me with products like these is trust. Do I trust the developer to support and update their extension to always work with the latests browser version?

So, technically I would be willing to pay - but I need to trust you.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd pay for a browser security extension that combined several free ones I already use: Adblock, Ghostery, maybe Noscript.

As far as how much... maybe $3-5/month, on a monthly basis, with discounts for annual subscription purchase.

If they could add in a VPN, maybe even more.

15+ Year Old Account
    That depends a lot on what it did. Right now I can't imagine any extension I'd pay for, and if there was a really great one I wanted, I'm sure the functionality would be replicated in a free one soon enough.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Social Fixer for Facebook is a godsend (and I'm an atheist). I should donate to that dude.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious View Post
    I'd pay for a browser security extension that combined several free ones I already use: Adblock, Ghostery, maybe Noscript.

As far as how much... maybe $3-5/month, on a monthly basis, with discounts for annual subscription purchase.

If they could add in a VPN, maybe even more.
    I wouldn't even use adblocker and such if ads weren't filled with viruses, spyware and above all bullshit you can't skip or overlook/hear.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I wouldn't even use adblocker and such if ads weren't filled with viruses, spyware and above all bullshit you can't skip or overlook/hear.
    but they are, so you do

I normally wouldn't pay for an extension no. Unless someone made something like an anti-screamer extension. So basically it checks whether the page/video for sudden high volume/commonly screamer pictures and block those. I would DEFINITELY pay for such extension if it were to exist. (Yes, I poop my pants every single time)

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, an extension is just like an addon. There is many other versions and they doesn't always seem to have put much to it. Really, thousands of extensions, I don't see a market for one with a price.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Not really, an extension is just like an addon. There is many other versions and they doesn't always seem to have put much to it. Really, thousands of extensions, I don't see a market for one with a price.
    Are you implying that addons can't add content?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I' sorry as a developer I'm more interested in what something does than if people are willing to part with money or not.
    As a fellow developer, I imagine that you'd be interested in the question itself. Monetization isn't limited to our superiors.