Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    FF 14 will be outsold by FF7 HD, says it all tbh.
    Being outsold by a remake of one of the best games ever made is...bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    FF 14 will be outsold by FF7 HD, says it all tbh.
    What does it say exactly? For the most part single player games have always been more popular than mmo's.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    What does it say exactly? For the most part single player games have always been more popular than mmo's.
    Especially when they're one of the most anticipated releases in recent decades...

Besides it's better for FFXIV to grow at a steady rate. WoW didn't reach the peak of popularity until WOTLK - it's second expansion. I believe that if FFXIV's developers continue to be humble and acknowledge their mistakes then they'll continue to make a game that sees quite a lot of success over the coming years. FFXI did quite well for itself, after all. I didn't play it myself though.

Heck, if and when they ditch support for the PS3 then they'll be able to do even more with FFXIV than they are at present. What they're doing already is pretty impressive though.

This might sound rather selfish but I'd really rather the WoW players stay where they are. I'm enjoying the game right now as is and I have faith the debs won't "sell out" to attract the masses.

I just find the average FF player to be a better type of person then I experienced while playing WoW after BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    To the best of my knowledge those estimated figures (that again are worth absolutely zilch), were pre HW. It's impossible to infer the amount of active subs, so really there's no point in actually even discussing it.
    Not sure how accurate this one is but its a lodestone sample from the end of July after HW was released:
    https://jonathanprice.org/xiv/compare/

He sampled lodestone and checked on characters that had atleast 1 lv 50 skill.

Personally I don't really give a damn about subs as long as the server is healthy and I am having fun it doesn't really matter for me.

I am on Odin and every evening when I run trough the zones I see enough people running around even new "leavies" it feels lively enough

Quote Originally Posted by Malackai View Post
    Not sure how accurate this one is but its a lodestone sample from the end of July after HW was released:
    https://jonathanprice.org/xiv/compare/

He sampled lodestone and checked on characters that had atleast 1 lv 50 skill.

Personally I don't really give a damn about subs as long as the server is healthy and I am having fun it doesn't really matter for me.

I am on Odin and every evening when I run trough the zones I see enough people running around even new "leavies" it feels lively enough
    Probably quite accurate, but it's impossible to say how many of those 7 million are actually active subs.
    I'm also on Odin btw and it's a server that's very much alive as you say and that's all that matters really. I recently hit 50 on my first job and I'm working through the 2.0 content so I can jump into Heavensward but I'm thinking of switching to Machinist when I do so 60 might be far off in the future, but I'm in no rush, I actually enjoy the levelling in this game

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Probably quite accurate, but it's impossible to say how many of those 7 million are actually active subs.
    I'm also on Odin btw and it's a server that's very much alive as you say and that's all that matters really. I recently hit 50 on my first job and I'm working through the 2.0 content so I can jump into Heavensward but I'm thinking of switching to Machinist when I do so 60 might be far off in the future, but I'm in no rush, I actually enjoy the levelling in this game
    Thats why he also put down experienced toons (toon with at least 1 lv 50 spell)

That one clocks around 1.6 mill out of those 7 mill, but still there is no way to say if they are all active atm might also be lv 50 players that stopped at the 2.0 release.
    I was hoping he also would have done a sample of characters with the "heavenward" achievement or character with lv 60 skill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    The wording is quite clear, they said registered accounts.

What is vague about that?

As other's have said we knew long ago that WoW has exceeded 100 million registered accts. They're still the king.

If we're talking registered users WoW is far from king. Runescape hit 200million registered users in 2012. WoW only hit 100million in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Malackai View Post
    Thats why he also put down experienced toons (toon with at least 1 lv 50 spell)
    Yeah but we don't know how many of those that are active and I'm sure there are a lot of active accounts that doesn't have a toon like that so we just don't know.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deadfusion View Post
    If we're talking registered users WoW is far from king. Runescape hit 200million registered users in 2012. WoW only hit 100million in 2014.
    Now compare it to other subscription based MMOs, instead of a free one.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Now compare it to other subscription based MMOs, instead of a free one.
    But WoW's 100 million includes trial/starter accounts, which are free.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    But WoW's 100 million includes trial/starter accounts, which are free.
    Even if you assume that half of those accounts are free - which would be rather absurd - that still leaves a huge number of paying customers throughout the years.

Either way, I keep seeing this "5 millions" thing repeated in various places and continously misinterpreted. Some of that is wishful thinking, some of that is because it's a rather unclear statement (or convoluted marketing). Still, no MMO developer would miss the opportunity to gloat about 5 millions actual subscribers. Doubt that it will happen, unless they absolutely dominate the market with their next expansion.