Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    the pay gap doesn't exist. anyone who thinks it does lives in the Middle East or is living in a fairy tale land.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Because you're assuming a lot of things that may not be true.
    Alright. So what is true. Why do men Earn more than women when it's illegal to do so and a simple accoutant can make you a lawsuit case.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'll repeat it because I like being ignored by the OP, makes me feel justified: the pay gap is within the same career at the same levels. Not across the entire employment spectrum.
    If that were the case most of the time, whenever you see discussion about the wage gap in politics it's quite common to see the misguided 81 cents or even 74 being quoted. It's not good time for me to see the study, but
    hat a 6.6 percent
    difference in annual earnings remains between
    women and men after accounting f
    is being quoted. I'm not 100% sure if this actually includes hours worked as well compensated. I can't look at the research anymore tonight so I'll see tomorrow how it's done.

Considering the way the OP represents his argument, it seems pretty clear he's not interested in being honest. I don't personally know if the pay gap is real, but when the "debunkers" use incorrect data comparisons or else simply jump in with trite "everyone already knows it's been debunked" declarations with nothing substantial at all to prove their point, I'm inclined to think that side of the debate is full of shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    the pay gap doesn't exist. anyone who thinks it does lives in the Middle East or is living in a fairy tale land.
    Agreed. It's an illusion created by a political ideology that benefits from pushing the myth.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Not only is that not debunking, it is horrible analysis. When you have data plots with that much variance in data, those trend lines are just short of useless.

Additionally, he is ignoring other data sets such as the fact that women in the same jobs earn less. So the last statement you put in bold is debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    3> The current social and educational paradigm still pushes women and men towards gender-differentiated roles, which is why this discrepancy has continued. This is why male nurses and teachers are still not as prevalent as women in those fields, for instance.
    While you are correct in that men and women are in some degree being pushed towards different roles, that's not necesarily the only reason for why you for example see less male nurses or teachers. Men and women are different in many ways, and women generally tend to prefer jobs that involve social interactions more than men do, while men are more likely to take the less social and often more dangerous jobs.

As for the paygap issue, I don't know enough to comment on it properly, but from what i've read it seems to be a bit of exaggeration from both sides of the argument. One claiming there's no gap at all, and the other side claiming it's more larger than it actually is. Getting it perfectl will probably be impossible, but we should at least aim to have the same jobs give the same pay for both genders.

The gender pay gap within the same positions in the same company is something like 3%. Hardly game-changing. You'll have to forgive me for not having sources on hand, I don't really care about this insane talking point which has been debunked countless times.
    Call me Cassandra

Deleted
    I did not write a single line in my post. All the graphs and words are copy pasted from the site I linked.

The point of the study is that men and women choose different college degrees that lead to different jobs.

Deleted
    So some degrees have a tendency to pay more than others, and some degrees tend to be more populated by one gender than the others.

Not sure that counts as gender pay gap, more just trends of degrees worth to the market (or rather competitiveness), and who takes those degrees. Something I am fairly sure hasn't really been targeted as some form of inequality (at least from sane people).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    I did not write a single line in my post. All the graphs and words are copy pasted from the site I linked.

The point of the study is that men and women choose different college degrees that lead to different jobs.
    Odd, seeing as the thread is named Gender Pay Gap Debunked..., some of those words aren't even in the article, so did they magically disappear from you posting it to now, or did you try and make an untrue statement?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

Spends too much time in red pill subreddits/"manosphere".
    and you spend too much time in the exodar.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    So what about the pay gap that exists even within the same discipline?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You are aware the pay gap is based on selections from the same vocational demographic, yes?
    I hope you're not referring to the 23 cent pay gap that has been thoroughly debunked, and rather the imperfect-yet-still-more-precise 4 cent pay gap that's known to exist. Even then, we don't know the cause of this 4 cent gap, so defaulting to the argument that it's definitely caused by discrimination is silly either way.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    So what about the pay gap that exists even within the same discipline?
    It doesn't exist. Some people may earn more than others, because that's what they have agreed upon during the negotiation of the pay, or they might be putting extra effort into their work and get a raise more often - while still being of the same skill as others.

But the "gender" pay gap - doesn't exist in western world.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I don't know if you read the article you linked or not, but it even points out that they didn't account for many variables, leaving out negotiated pay, preferred shifts and the pay of said shifts by time, the small sample size of men relative to women means that the data for women is more precise, and I can only imagine what else as the study is behind a pay wall.

I'm also dubious of the reliability of a study done by the AAUW - which is an advocacy group - though I will admit beforehand that I did not read their study yet, and I might not depending on it's length (there are limits on the lengths I'm willing to go for these repetitive threads).
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    The IT industry is the lightning rod to this occasionally common debate and I assure you that no one is arguing about 23 cents.
    Last edited by twiddler; 2015-08-22 at 08:34 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It doesn't exist. Some people may earn more than others, because that's what they have agreed upon during the negotiation of the pay, or they might be putting extra effort into their work and get a raise more often - while still being of the same skill as others.

But the "gender" pay gap - doesn't exist in western world.
    False. It was demonstrated even on the last page. It exists among all disciplines in the 5-10% range.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post

You wrote the headline.

False. It was demonstrated even on the last page. It exists among all disciplines in the 5-10% range.
    It does exist.
    It's not across all disciplines.
    The average is the 4% range, as noted by studies conducted for the Department of Labor.
    We don't know what the cause is, or if we're accounting for every variable that may impact pay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    You wrote the headline.
    Basically this.
    Xarim, you basically created a thread with a title that is not fitting for the content. You didn't debunk the pay gap.
    But warriors....

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, the "gender gap" doesn't exist. Some variations in pay do.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side