SPriest weak in low levels?

Hi guys,

first things first: i am one of those guys that is heavily into leveling. I like it and have most classes to maxlvl. I appreciate the "indepth" development of each class and foremost i am doing dungeons. As i am always playing dps specs i noticed that SPriest is REALLY low on dmg, i am lvl92 right now. I measure this often enough with the last boss of the first WoD instance, where i did between 6 and 10k dps. All my classes are evenly bad equipped, and the day before i did 8k with my destro warlock. Today two times with the SPriest and 3,5k and 3,7k.

I kinda know how to play the classes, at least to 90%, so its not a rotation thingy.

I know that this case is not relevant for 99% of players but it is for me as i am curious why SPriest do so awful damage. It is not only singletarget no movement fights, in every aspect while doing a dungeon i am worse than every other of my classes...

Do priests scale heavily with gear? Do they desperately need their lvl100 talents, or the improved skill ranks given at 92,94,96,98?

Just enlighten me, thanks
    Last edited by iddqd; 2015-08-22 at 05:42 PM.

I recently leveled my shadow priest too and i felt exactly the same. Killing stronger mobs was taking ages even with full heirloom gear and even had to kill some elites in Spires of Arak as disc because i couldn't do that as shadow.

Leveling as a Shadow is only fast if you overgear stuff (i.e heroic SoO gear for WoD content, Heroic Dragonsoul gear for MoP), without gear leveling a shadow is probably one of the worst specs.

As for dungeon-leveling: Shadow just sucks. DoTs most likely won't tick, you have no AoE, and for 90-100 you pretty much lack 2 of the important perks, and the level 100 talents also are quite strong.

Alright, thanks for your replies. Then i have too level on, let's see whether it gets better

For open world take the mind harvest glyph. That should speed things up a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    For open world take the mind harvest glyph. That should speed things up a lot.
    Second this. I used it up until about 95-96 or so. It pretty much 2-shots anything you attack.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilee25 View Post
    Second this. I used it up until about 95-96 or so. It pretty much 2-shots anything you attack.
    its kinda mandatory 25-99 :P

I also considered to use that glyph but my "problems" aren't in the open world, that is just fine and only barely slower than other classes, dungeons is where shit hits the fan

For shadow you need long lived targets, generally with some small adds to shadow word death for orbs and twisted fate sprinkled in. This won't happen in leveling dungeons. I'm a main spec healer, so I heal any leveling dungeons and stick with a buddy in the open world (even when shadow). Sometimes we just have me quest as a healer to allow my buddy to aoe all the things while I keep him alive. (Or serve as a pvp prevention... people that are out trying to prevent leveling early in an expansion don't mess with a group that has a healer... they go for easy targets).

Deleted
    I also had problems during WoD with SP.. hard to level yes. Better to go Disc/Holy and spam dungeons.

Deleted
    Recently leveled mine to 100 and only zone i had problems in was spires of arak and that was cause of the big elites having some 715 gear on hand at level 91 really did help

As i said, leveling is not a problem. Level 97 now and everything is fine, i am even able to solo the "hard" big elites in Spires of Arrak without bigger problems. Keep up PWS with dmg-glyph, and cast DP when trinket buffs proc, easy.

I think the main problem of SP while fighting a shortlasting boss in a dungeon is the lacking cooldown(s). Sure, we have shadowfiend, but compared to others (i raise you, warlock's dark soul, lasting 20 seconds, castable twice with Archimonde's Darkness) it really sucks ass. Maybe i am trying Mindbender today
    Last edited by iddqd; 2015-08-24 at 09:49 AM.

Deleted
    Got my priest on 47 atm. Shadow is so bad that I have leveled mostly as disc because it does almost the same damage ..

15+ Year Old Account
    Shadow is terrible now. I don't have to play it in raids but outdoors I do about half the dps of my gladiator warrior who has lower ilvl gear. And it's not fun to play at all. Just ridicolously bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Shadow is terrible now. I don't have to play it in raids but outdoors I do about half the dps of my gladiator warrior who has lower ilvl gear. And it's not fun to play at all. Just ridicolously bad.
    "I'm bad so I'll blame the class"