Question about Files and Copying (In large amounts.)

Hi!
    Working on a little project, and I'm curious about a few things that I could use some assistance on.

Is there a way to copy file names, without the data they hold? (Hopefully by mass; Such as, thousands of files that are only a few kilobytes in size.)

Because doing this by hand, file-to-file, some 6,000 times, is going to take a ridiculous amount of time.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Copy Entire List of Files
    Step 1
    Hold the "Shift" key, right-click the folder containing a list of files and select "Open Command Window Here."

Step 2
    Type "dir /b > filenames.txt" (without quotation marks) in the Command Prompt window. Press "Enter."

Step 3
    Double-click the "filenames.txt" file from the previously selected folder to see a list of file names in that folder.

Step 4
    Press "Ctrl-A" and then "Ctrl-C" to copy the list of file names to your clipboard.

Tip

When you're ready to paste the file names, click your paste location in the appropriate program and press "Ctrl-V."

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/copy-...rer-53696.html

Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    Copy Entire List of Files
    Step 1
    Hold the "Shift" key, right-click the folder containing a list of files and select "Open Command Window Here."

Step 2
    Type "dir /b > filenames.txt" (without quotation marks) in the Command Prompt window. Press "Enter."

Step 3
    Double-click the "filenames.txt" file from the previously selected folder to see a list of file names in that folder.

Step 4
    Press "Ctrl-A" and then "Ctrl-C" to copy the list of file names to your clipboard.

Tip

When you're ready to paste the file names, click your paste location in the appropriate program and press "Ctrl-V."

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/copy-...rer-53696.html

Any help?
    Up until your Step 4.
    While the names got copied to clipboard, when I try to paste, nothing happens, and the option via Rick-clight for Paste is greyed out.

Can you paste them to another program?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Can you paste them to another program?
    Can't copy into a program, into File Explorer, or Desktop.
    Able to Copy all of the files, just can't Paste any of them; Unless done per individual file.

Sounds like you want to create empty copies of the files, not just a list of the file names? Ie, you want the file song.mp3 to still be present but be a 0kb file?

If so the above won't work, it will simply generate a listing of files. You can create an empty file with "copy /y NUL EmptyFile.txt >NUL" in cmd but to replace emptyfile.txt with the names of each file existing somewhere would take some batch scripting, unless there are programs out there that can do it.

Just to make sure, you are copying the output of the file?

If I run dir /b > filelist.txt I get a text file that contains the names of the files in the folder which I can copy from.