Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    As a person who lives in south Florida. WHAT!? It is so hot here I would leave in a second if I didn't have AC. I was at my friends house the other day and the power went out and in less than an hour without AC we were dying.
    Yeah, I'm not as far south as you, but on the Gulf none the less. Seriously I can't stand the heat down here. I thought Illinois summers were bad, but this is terrible.

Love the winters though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    This doesn't make sense at all.
    Bad hygiene spreads diseases.

is 20c too hot? all i know are freedom units

10,000 years ago was the apex of an ice age. Free refrigeration of your beers mother fuckers.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Over-privileged, taking things for granted. Take away what we're use to and we'll have those thoughts. They never had AC's to their advantage hence it was just normal for them

Before the rise of technology people avoided working/activities in the hottest periods of the day, either sleeping, swimming/wading, or in cooler parts of the house/town/dwelling (think basements, cisterns, bars, etc).

You still see these sorts of lifestyles in places that have excessively hot daytime hours. People are active in the morning, downtime in the noon/afternoon, then active in the evening again.

100 years ago it would've been colder.

I'm not referring to global warming, I'm referring to the absence of generated additional heat in the form of refrigerators, of computers, or televisions etc. Back then if it was hot you'd go into the shade and it would be cooler for it. No Electricity running everything everywhere and bam! you get colder.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Brisbane with no AC.

I'll admit, it's rare for this to happen, but it happened last year.

It was 1am, I looked at the temperature and it was 32 degrees. with over 90% humidity. AT 1 AM! And I had to sleep in that without aircon, it was insane i tell ya. Basically every day in Brisbane during summer is muggy as fuck. Even yesterday, where it's still winter. Got up to 27 degrees, wtf??

*getting AC installed this summer time

Due the sheer inefficiency of labor, people would spend more hours doing things like traveling, cooking, making things etc. Everything would be a lot more time consuming.

Also people would drink things like wine, small beer, mead, stouts and such. Stuff that doesn't need to be served frigid to be palatable.

Also refrigeration is not as new and modern as you think.

Have you ever lived in a stone house? Or a house built out of mud bricks? You would be surprised how cool they can actually be without much effort even in the hottest summers.

Food and stuff would be kept cold and preserved in cold cellars. (Underground) We just don't build cold cellars anymore exactly because we have fridges.

We've very fresh air here (not humid) so AC or no AC doesn't matter most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilla Blomma View Post
    Over 20c is too warm.
    Yeah sure. Ofc.

The typical I'm from Canada or Scandinavia, I wrestle polar bears and walk around in shorts in -15C. The bollocks stinks to the high heavens.

I've spent years of my youth and my college years in Syracuse upstate New fucking York. Syracuse winters make Alaska looks like a tropical paradise.

Now I live in Spain. Much prefer the Spanish heat, much easier to adapt to. You don't know what snow is until you have 6 ft of it in 4 hours, everyday for 3 weeks. Damn thing becomes cement under its own weight.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2015-08-23 at 04:31 AM.

They probably jumped into water when it was getting too hot

10+ Year Old Account
    First world problems, really. Its really hot in other places like my homeland back in Belarus, a satellite country of the former USSR. No AC systems there, but what worked was hard work all day tends to make you forget about the heat. Its when you start relaxing that you realize how sticky it is. Which is weird but true. We have it made, and i wouldnt move to another country in the world. USA rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Yeah sure. Ofc.

The typical I'm from Canada or Scandinavia, I wrestle polar bears and walk around in shorts in -15C. The bollocks stinks to the high heavens.

I've spent years of my youth and my college years in Syracuse upstate New fucking York. Syracuse winters make Alaska looks like a tropical paradise.

Now I live in Spain. Much prefer the Spanish heat.
    -15C is nothing bro, brb polar bears waiting.

The people back then did go pretty crazy! They were always fighting religious wars and holding inquisitions. They had a lot of nutty religious and belief systems in various gods. They did a lot of other insane stuff. Personally I hate the summer so much. I have three fans turned on and I wet my hair in the shower all day to keep myself cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    My a/c just died and I'm ready to commit suicide. If my beers got warm I would end it.
    LOL this thread made my day - warm beer would be a travesty
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

They did go crazy. Hence all the wars and shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I took myself off my suicide watch. its a somewhat comfortable 30c with the humidex today. Got 8 beers that have been chilling for over 24 hours now. And my beloved bluejays are about to kill the angels in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    My a/c just died and I'm ready to commit suicide. If my beers got warm I would end it.
    Several reasons, first people were used to it, second people knew all sorts of ways to cope with it that were lost in culture since people got A/C's, also construction was made with heat in mind instead of being "meh and a/c will make it ok" mentality.

House i grew up after 14 in Portuguese south countryside has 1meter thick stone walls, its 40-47c outside, and its 20 inside.

Many different ways to cope with it, most include water.

Climatization. My father told me that when he used to work in Indonesia, people there thought 72 degrees F in the control room was cold.