Page 1 of 2
LastLast

archimonde as affliction

what are the best dps talents as affliction to use on this fight and is haste better n single target than mastery my sims say yes but I wanted to make sure. also if you have any tips as affliction that fight it would be appreaciated.
    Last edited by krytt29; 2015-08-22 at 11:26 PM.

for talents its go sup and sb haunt. dont bother changing your secondary stats, mastery outweighs haste in multi target situations. keep your observer on arch the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by krytt29 View Post
    what are the best dps talents as affliction to use on this fight and is haste better n single target than mastery my sims say yes but I wanted to make sure. also if you have any tips as affliction that fight it would be appreaciated.
    Use your portal and gateway, this minimizes a lot of movement. Run GoSac and SB:Haunt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Janglybits View Post
    Use your portal and gateway, this minimizes a lot of movement. Run GoSac and SB:Haunt.
    GoSac is gonna under perform compared to GoSup due to movement and MT.
    Even more so if you are using the class trinket.
    I would also go Imp over Observer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janglybits View Post
    A portal between your stacking points will be invaluable. I'm not entirely convinced by Gateways, because the cooldown is long and people can place fire badly.

Quote Originally Posted by cobz715 View Post
    GoSac is gonna under perform compared to GoSup due to movement and MT.
    Even more so if you are using the class trinket.
    I would also go Imp over Observer
    Definitely agree on using a pet. It's quite a bursty fight with bits and pieces of downtime while you wait to phase, burn down adds etc. so I actually think Service is a good talent over Supremacy, it also lines up well for going inside the nether to get that add down. For controlling the Infernals, the knockback from Shivarra or Succubus can also be useful, as well as obviously Shadowfury.

There's a lot going on in the fight, so you have to work out where your group needs you most and make use of your full toolkit as appropriate.

10+ Year Old Account
    From my experience the only time damage is actually crucial in the fight is during the sub 40-0% burn and you are pretty much just standing still never having to move once you plant spaced out far enough for feedback......so I'd recommend going gosac also at this point in the fight you also have lust and second pot so you will be bringing tha deepz brah

Made by dubbelbasse

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kushlol View Post
    From my experience the only time damage is actually crucial in the fight is during the sub 40-0% burn and you are pretty much just standing still never having to move once you plant spaced out far enough for feedback......so I'd recommend going gosac also at this point in the fight you also have lust and second pot so you will be bringing tha deepz brah
    On progression i doubt you will be standing still from 40% which would also mean you have been given the gift of not having to go into the portal.
    How many banishes do you get from 40 to dead ?

GoSac will be better for execute(<20%) IF you get to stand and tunnel the boss during this phase.
    So maybe on farm.

GoSac + SB:Haunt
    tunnel boss

The only two (reasonable) reasons to bring affliction to Arch is:

1 - You like it more and your group supports it.
    2 - You want to focus damage on boss sub 25%. Afflics execute it's the strongest while all other players are doing their job. So you want to tunnel the boss, let the shadows for hunters, infernals for mages/destro/druids, tunnel the boss the whole time. It may sound weird but it's acceptable in some high level pugs. Some even ask which spec you're playing for the fight. Usually I also go for infernals, but it's because in pug you can never be 100% at ease.

I'm also with GoSac + SB:H crowd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cobz715 View Post
    On progression i doubt you will be standing still from 40% which would also mean you have been given the gift of not having to go into the portal.
    How many banishes do you get from 40 to dead ?

GoSac will be better for execute(<20%) IF you get to stand and tunnel the boss during this phase.
    So maybe on farm.
    No reason to doubt you can stand still unless you haven't done the fight.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...=3&view=replay
    log of progression kill(roughly 2 months) old check replay around 5 mins onward there is no movement in last phase you are standing still and burning. Only 2 things cause major movement during that phase one is shackle and the other is netherbanish if you are going down .... 1st of the mechanics is rng and second you know will happen. If I have to go down for banish that's only once at the most and inside the banish realm the only movement I suffer is sidestepping out of the ground aoe void star is irrelevant as you can port as it hits you to negate it or depending on positioning you can let it knock you into a rock and you won't get knocked off the platform.
    Last edited by kushlol; 2015-08-25 at 12:00 PM.

Made by dubbelbasse

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...=4&view=replay

You can just look at how little I move during the fight. Movement is entirely predictable, I was half paying attention and still barely had to move.

It really depends on what your raid comp needs. You can stay on the boss primarily and possibly top boss damage but you aren't helping the raid deal with the plethora of adds so much. Sure you can multi dot them but since the patch aff is so dependent on drain soul uptime you tend to just dilute your dps more than feeding it unless you do it during a movement moment. Destro will take it in the butt when you have to move but is more effective against adds. Probably aff is more useful for a first kill where you are struggling on him and destro will do more later when boss damage isn't a thing and adds are the only thing that can wipe you. OR you have less raid cleave but good boss damage and then destro is your first kill go to spec. If movement really gets you there is always KJC (tried it a few attempts first week or so) but ultimately you will likely end up back cookie cutter spec with 2x charges of AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    The thing is that GoSac barely outDPSes GoSup, we're talking about a theoretical ~100 DPS difference here even while standing still. So the moment there is even the slightest of movement chances are GoSup will do a little bit more DPS than GoSac...

That is the sims for single target, no movement, in ilvl 715 gear. It doesn't change much wether you got ilvl 730 or are using different trinkets either, all the 3 Grimoire talents are very well balanced and get you roughly the same result.
    how long of a fight is that and how long is the execute? don't just post blanket sims without checking the context.

Fairly confident that's from the sims pre-buffs to haunt / drain soul.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Even if it were, it still doesn't make a noticable difference. Grimoire choice is all up to personal preference atm, the ~100 theoretical DPS difference is neglible in practice. (Both specs gain a DPS increase from the recent drain soul / haunt buffs and stay close within eachother's range).
    It's gear dependent, but in my own gear it's more like 11x the amount you're quoting on just the median, which is absolutely not negligible by any stretch of the imagination.

The min is also 1.8k higher and the max is 3.3k higher which are things to seriously consider. Personally I tend to weigh the min higher than the median because in a worst case scenario on a pull where I get completely rng fucked I'd rather be doing 1.8k more dps.

They're also just sims, which aren't entirely accurate and shouldn't be taken as gospel. The sims median has my char at 79k, when if you look at my parses for zakuun (which is about as patchwerk as it gets this tier) the medians something more like 90+k with my highest parse at 105k where the sim claims max is 98k.

I mean... afflictions a pretty terrible spec to be on archie anyway if you want to help your raid kill the fight. But if one must be aff:

Quote Originally Posted by zvvl View Post
    GoSac + SB:Haunt
    tunnel boss

Is correct, unless you're in particularly bad gear and then you might wanna go sup.

I seriously doubt that it's such far apart
    I could take screenshots of the sims for you?

By the by I've killed him on mythic, I understand the fight.

The shit that'll wipe you in that fight are all things destro excels at. You go aff on that fight if by some miracle your raid has a butt-ton of add damage and you're somehow missing single target on the boss where you play it basically identical to zakuun where you just tunnel the boss.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2015-08-27 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    I could take screenshots of the sims for you?

By the by I've killed him on mythic, I understand the fight.

The shit that'll wipe you in that fight are all things destro excels at. You go aff on that fight if by some miracle your raid has a butt-ton of add damage and you're somehow missing single target on the boss where you play it basically identical to zakuun where you just tunnel the boss.
    Finally someone who gets it!

I don't understand why anyone would play affliction on archi, when destruction is one the best specs at dealing with doomfires, internals, dreadstalkers, sources and has pretty great boss damage. If you want to play affliction, then your raid is better off just bringing a different class that's actually useful and relevant on that fight.

On heroic you probably just want to tunnel the boss and hope for a fast kill time, that way you can look good on skada.
    Last edited by Valq; 2015-08-27 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valq View Post
    Finally someone who gets it!

I don't understand why anyone would play affliction on archi, when destruction is one the best specs at dealing with doomfires, internals, dreadstalkers, sources and has pretty great boss damage. If you want to play affliction, then your raid is better off just bringing a different class that's actually useful and relevant on that fight.

On heroic you probably just want to tunnel the boss and hope for a fast kill time, that way you can look good on skada.
    Not to mention all of the tasty Havoc cleave you can do, which directly translates into boss damage.

Quote Originally Posted by striderZA View Post
    Not to mention all of the tasty Havoc cleave you can do, which directly translates into boss damage.
    And this too:

Comparing my best archi HC parse as destro (rank 2) to the best aff parse on WCL:
    Nearly the exact same length on p3, boss damage for rank 1 aff =10.07m vs my boss damage of 9.11m. Not even remotely worth being affliction if your goal is to speed up p3 by doing more boss damage. You're better off being destro and killing a living shadow or two while doing nearly the same boss damage as aff.

People underestimate the sheer amount of embers you can generate as destro in p3 through cleave a lot, sure, affliction gets lust and increased damage during execute, but on a fight like archi, destro has insane amounts of ember generation during the last phase due to loads of adds.

- - - Updated - - -

As for going affliction on Archimonde being bad? Uh? Dunno, fully depends on what your raid does. If your raid can handle the adds fine already then there is no point in you going destro, because going affliction can mean you can push the boss into p2 a lot sooner and thus get a lot less doomfires and adds as a whole.

Adds are important on archimonde, but you need a proper balance between ST DPS on Archi and the adds, to get out of p1 faster and to nuke him down faster in p3. Everyone doing high burst on the adds isn't going to help you kill him faster if it means you have a much slower phase1 and 3. And it might seem silly to say this about a single person in the raid, but when it comes to the difference between the DPS of affliction and destruction, you will notice it, especially in smaller raids.
    Well, go destro, glyph of DS, pool embers for all doomfires, solo them or have one more person assigned to them, while the rest of the raid goes single target tunneling on the boss in p1, you'll phase it a lot faster than with the whole raid on adds and you being affliction, that is if you're actually after a super fast p1 transition.
    Last edited by Valq; 2015-08-27 at 04:01 PM.

Sure, I'm curious.
    Here u go, this time the bottom end was 1k lower but the median and max stayed the sameish. Even with 25k iterations simc still swinging significant numbers, this time gosac max was 3k above the previous gosac max from earlier... Gotta love simc.