Poll: Do you think the phrases "illegal immigrant" and "anchor baby" offensive?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'm still waiting on those statistics.
    What statistics?. Your word smithing wont stop the wave that's flowing over the usa. You kids had your chance and messed it all up, the adults will take over now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unionoob View Post
    I guess none. But his parents did with moving to country as illegal immigrants. But that's how's system is built in some countries. To change name I guess you would have to change system. To not to grant citizenship to kid and then later to his whole family or just to children and not to family.
    ...Having a kid in the US doesn't confer citizenship on the parents. In fact it does very little to help them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    What statistics?. Your word smithing wont stop the wave that's flowing over the usa.
    Okay so you're telling me you don't have any statistics, facts, or... anything relevant... to propose?

Next poster please.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    What statistics?
    The ones which actually support your argument about illegal immigration being a legitimate issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The ones which actually support your argument about illegal immigration being a legitimate issue.
    Its a feeling, its sweeping the nation. Your kind of thinkers will be relegated to the garage like that guy in office space with the stapler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a feeling, its sweeping the nation.
    So, unquantifiable with any sort of fact. Good to know.

This is why the GOP is anti-science.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    So, unquantifiable with any sort of fact. Good to know.

This is why the GOP is anti-science.
    I love science, I just bought "the bell curve" a few days ago. Do you like all science or just your narrow field?.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a feeling, its sweeping the nation. Your kind of thinkers will be relegated to the garage like that guy in office space with the stapler.
    Did Stephen Colbert's character just take over your account?
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2015-08-23 at 09:22 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Depends on the context (as always).

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Why what is the difference?
    It's not illegal to be in a country until you're caught.

That's literally the difference.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

10+ Year Old Account
    I find the phrase "<whateverthefuckitis> is offensive"
    pretty offensive.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love science, I just bought "the bell curve" a few days ago. Do you like all science or just your narrow field?.
    That book has been debunked hundreds of times.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Did Stephen Colbert's character just take over your account?
    The masturbation sensation that's sweeping the nation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
    There has been quite an uproar the past couple weeks over some of the GOP Presidential candidates using these phrases (especially "anchor baby"). Do you find them to be offensive? Should people say "undocumented immigrant" instead of "illegal immigrant"?
    The truth cant be offensive. They are here illegally. Undocumented is the word that bleeding heart hippy liberals and SJWs came up with to justify them being here

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
    Should people say "undocumented immigrant" instead of "illegal immigrant"?
    I don't think either phrase is correct. An "immigrant" is someone that intends to permanently live in the country they've moved to. The more general term is "illegal alien", which covers temporary labor and others that don't intend to remain in the country they've moved to.