Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Someone has been on the internet for too long today.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post

heres my proof of ice sun, show me your proof it doesn't exist.
    All you've proved is that you can link a wallpaper. Congrats, mate. Still doesn't make it any more an "ice sun." Nevermind that the concept is ludicrous to begin with, but I'm just going off the assumption that you don't actually know that much about what makes a star a star.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abajaba View Post
    Hottest star in the solar system? How many stars are in our solar system?!?!
    I meant universe damnit! >.>

*fail astronomy*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Our sun through a blue filter LOL

ANYWAY........
    Let's try for real..
    Suns are factually stars.
    So far, we have discovered ONE single "ice cold star". A brown dwarf star, with temperature of -13F.
    That is relative to the sun, ice cold.

But that's about it.
    A real Ice Sun - or correctly Ice Star, we don't know of one.
    Kinda what I was thinking... I'm calling bullshit on 'ice suns'...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

question is in the title .. after seeing the thread about two planets getting closer to each other this one really got me thinking.
    Let's establish some ground rules:
    1. The "fire sun" is actually a normal star. Since fire cannot burn in the vacuum of space, we can assume the fire is created through nuclear fusion.
    2. The "fire sun" has an atmosphere similar to that of our sun (since we have no other examples to compare it's effect's to, we'll use Sol).
    3. The "ice sun" is a Sol sized ball of ice which emit's a large amount of heat but has nu manner of fusion.

These 3 rules are established because this is the closest we'll get to a real life scenario. A sun that "burns cold" has not yet been discovered so we must assume it's a ball of ice.

What would happen:
    The ice sun enters the atmosphere of the fire sun (for those who don't know, the atmosphere of the sun is the same area that the Earth is in). At this point it will start to turn to "melt", it's ice being turned into steam. Due to gravity the steam will either settle down on the ice sun as dew or get pulled into the fire sun to be added to it's fuel.

Once the ice sun collides with the fire sun it will start being turned into fuel for the fire sun. Since the heat from the fire sun is caused by nuclear fusion we can assume that instead of "extinguishing" the fire the hydrogen will be added to the fire sun's fuel (Nuclear fusion converts hydrogen into other elements, causing the sun to "burn"). This could cause the fire sun's life span to be lengthened.

"But what if the sun's are really made of ice and fire (as opposed to nuclear fusion)?"
    Well then the fire sun would extinguish before the ice sun reached it.
    If it by some kind of miracle does not extinguish, they will collide to form a large ball of steam which will (due to the cold of space) settle into water and ultimately ice. The original "ice sun" however does not exist anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account

Stars are a plasma of hot incandescent hydrogen in a nuclear fusion creating heavier elements in its core. Ice is frozen water, a solid and not a plasma. Therefore by definition an ice sun doesn't exist.

A blue star, as others have pointed out, is actually the hottest of stars. And there is no star that burns at freezing temperatures, they all burn very hot. Our own sun, a white star, is 5,000 C at the surface and 15,000,000 in its core.
    Putin khuliyo

Doesn't mean it has anything close to "ice" or is actually cold, it's just blue.
    You can make a flame in real life blue by adding more oxygen (most often through use of a bunsen burner).

All you've proven is that you have no basic understanding of chemistry or astronomy.

PS: A star only becomes a sun if it has sattelite's (read: planets) orbiting it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    First of all, the word sun refers specifically to the star that is at the center of our solar system. Here's the scientific definition for a star:

A huge ball of gas held together by gravity. The central core of a star is extremely hot and produces energy. Some of this energy is released as visible light, which makes the star glow.

Here's the definition for ice:

The solid state of water.

That means an ice star is a contradiction in terms.
    I actually assumed he ment a ball of ice in my example, because I thought that nobody could be that stupid.
    I'm sad now.
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

I was gonna type something snarky, but you know what? Fuck that shit. I'm gonna Munroe this damn question.

Our Sun is the Sun. Other stars are not suns, but for the sake of argument and clarity, I'll assume you just meant a firey star and an icy star. A 'fire sun' would pretty much be like our own. Ball of burning nuclear reactions. Right. But what's an 'ice sun'? Well, it would have to be a brown dwarf. A star that had used all of its fuel to the point that it no longer underwent nuclear fusion, to the point that it would actually be a class Y Brown Dwarf, one sitting at anywhere between 300 and 800 K. Since we're talking about an ice sun here, let's assume that our brown dwarf (with a stellar mass similar to our sun, the 'fire sun' as it were) is sitting at its lowest point of 273K or so.

For context, this brown dwarf would be colder than any previously discovered brown dwarf, but still well within theoretical probability of being able to exist.

So what is our sun's mass?
    1.988435×10^30 kilograms. That's a lot of kilograms. That is 1,988,432,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms. That many kilograms of literally anything impacting anything else just is not going to end well.

Now, on the other hand, our brown dwarf star that formed from a sun identical to our own? Well, most of its mass has been blown off in stellar winds, ejected away from the core of the star as it ended its life cycle as a red giant. Not with a supernova, but still pretty violent overall. All that's left is a mass about twice that of Earth.
    We're talking something around... 1.1944397×10^25 kilograms. Now, that's still a lot of kilograms, but it is a FUCKTON LESS than 1.988435×10^30 kilograms. So very many less.

So what would happen if these two masses collided? Not very much. The 'fire sun' would experience some pretty serious deformation in its atmosphere, and probably show off some pretty impressive CMEs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_mass_ejection), but at the end of the day, it wouldn't mean very much. The core of the sun would have a relatively small amount of mass added to it, and it would probably even shorten its lifespan by some amount, but as it's ultimately only added a minuscule fraction of its mass to the core, we're talking about maybe a few million years' less fuel. Not much in the grand scheme of things.

But let's interpret the question differently. What if this 'ice sun,' our brown dwarf, actually is supposed to have a mass equal to our 'fire sun,' as in the Sun Earth orbits?

Well, now you've got a problem! The heavy core is all that's really left in this case, no longer capable of nuclear fusion. But when you're talking about a heavy core the size of the Sun, you have gone way, way past the Schwarzschild radius. You are no longer talking about an ice sun colliding into a fire sun. You are talking about a massive black hole colliding into a fire sun. The fire from your fire sun is no longer visible. It has been consumed, snuffed out and drawn beyond the event horizon.

There. How's that?
    Last edited by Herecius; 2015-08-23 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Since we're talking about an ice sun here, let's assume that our brown dwarf (with a stellar mass similar to our sun, the 'fire sun' as it were) is sitting at its lowest point of 300 K or so.

Even at 300k...it still wouldn't be an "Ice Sun".
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    I was using round numbers here, but sure, 273K, then. Icy cold. Still not really outside the realm of theoretically plausible, just really really hard to actually see an object like this with a telescope.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    It would be pretty icy in comparison to our sun, but yeah. The question itself is what someone dumb would ask to sound smart.

This is the oldest trolling in the book, I have no idea why people still fall for it though

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Hermit View Post
    This is the oldest trolling in the book, I have no idea why people still fall for it though
    Eh, I know the OP is just pulling shit because he/she thinks the other thread is stupid and wants to make fun of it, but it was fun to treat the vague question seriously anyways.

10+ Year Old Account

I really hope your trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Steam sun.
    steam sun huh that's Gabe Newell's final form right?

This is a photograph of the 2.5mil Kelvin spectrum of our sun, more info to be found at NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory.

there was an XKCD on adding water to the sun, it just gets bigger. and laughs at your water. as others have said its unlikely that you'll get a star sized comet collide with the sun. it simply can't get that big without breaking down into smaller comets, if it were that big it would need an even greater force to propel it toward the sun in the first place.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/14/
    Last edited by Heathy; 2015-08-23 at 01:14 PM.

blue stars are just young stars, stars are blue when they born because they are hotter and while they grow old they got cooler , stars have 3 stage of live:

Blue = young

Yellow= Mid age

Red = Old/nearly death

question is in the title .. after seeing the thread about two planets getting closer to each other this one really got me thinking.
    Ice sun? Pick up a science book for christ sake..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by azkhane View Post
    Thanks for the laugh!

Deleted
    soo many people got triggered it is epic....