Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Sci Fi....means pretty much anything is possible and may or may not come to pass/be real...with a tinge of reality put in to "set the mood".

Making it the basis for a political movement,soap box to stand on etc seems silly...it is really cool fairy tails with lasers and such.

Meh, misguided and sill remains so.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Nope, its a slate set up by a particularly nasty right wing racist to try to counter "SJW" influence in the Hugos. A lot of the stuff that wound up on the ballot doesn't really deserve a place there.
    What have they done that's "particularly nasty"?
    Even then, if the Hugo Awards are OK with people voting for authors on the basis that they have similar ideals to their own, why not extend the same tolerance to voters and authors that don't agree with their ideals.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    No, see, that's what the anti-GG side is, for real. That's how confused they are. There's like an 80% chance this guy was being serious.
    ^ Poe's Law in action.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alassiel View Post
    Well, I don't even know how to reply to that. You just spewed the most mind-boggling kind of stupidity I have ever read. My god.
    I think he already one upped himself with the second post. He's the kind of person that sums up everything wrong and what OP is railing against.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    What have they done that's "particularly nasty"? Even then, if the Hugo Awards are OK with people voting for authors on the basis that they have similar ideals to their own, why not extend the same tolerance to voters and authors that don't agree with their ideals.
    I called Vox Day "particularly nasty". I believe that one stands on its own.

Man y'all really look at Vox Day with a laser focus, don't you? I constantly see the few of you bringing him up, as if he's like a messianic figure that is revered by everyone who doesn't agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Below is nothing but quotes from this article for discussion:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ming-they-are/

SET PHASERS TO KILL! SJWS BURN DOWN THE HUGO AWARDS TO PROVE HOW TOLERANT AND WELCOMING THEY ARE

At the seventy-third annual Worldcon science fiction convention on Saturday night, social justice warriors did their best impression of the nightmare firemen of Ray Bradbury’s classic Fahrenheit 451, choosing to burn down the Hugo Awards and damage science fiction instead of seeing works of heretical authors outside of their exclusive clique winning awards.

The social justice tendency, here as elsewhere, is driven by anxious white middle-class bloggers and authors who turn their noses up at the tastes of the proletariat. They’d rather celebrate books about coming to terms with the disabled transgender experience than a good story about aliens and ray guns.

5 major categories including best novella and best short story went with “no award.” To put that in perspective, in the previous 60 years of Hugo Awards, a total of 5 “no awards” have been given previously.

Puppies supporters say that slew of “no award” wins this year can at least partially be attributed to the fact that SJW votes were concentrated on that choice, while Puppies votes were distributed between as many as four deserving authors. The “no award” results in the novella and short story categories are a particular slap in the face to ordinary fans, who remember the genre’s roots in short-form pulp magazine writing.

“The fact that the SJWs would rather give out no award rather than honor an influential editor like Toni Weisskopf of Baen Books or science fiction grandmaster John C. Wright demonstrates the extent to which science fiction has been politicized and degraded by their far-left politics.

“The SJWs will try to portray this as a victory – they would try to portray suicide by self-cannibalism as a victory – but anyone who knows anything about history understands the significance of one side resorting to burning down its own houses in order to deny it to the enemy. That is a defensive tactic borne of desperation.”

The facts of this case are the same as in gaming and in every other industry that social justice warriors touch. They do not care about art forms. They do not care about science fiction. They do not even particularly care about talent. They care about enriching and ennobling themselves and their friends, and pushing a twisted, discredited, divisive brand of authoritarian politics.
    Additional articles:

http://www.npr.org/2015/08/19/432910...-sci-fi-awards
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...little-success

From the articles basically you have the traditionalists (sad puppies) and the progressive wings of the science fiction community duking it out and the traditionalists losing handily.

Personally I don't care who wins what award. Most of the science fiction I read is from long dead authors from the 20th century or they are hidden gems that can be found on Amazon's Kindle Unlimited. (Frank Herbert, Issac Azimov, Octavia E Butler of the old guard and David Elias Jenkins, William Massa, of the newer authors)

Sorry for the progressives but I can only stomach so many SF stories of people gaining their true place in the universe as they abandon any concept of good and evil, have sex with anything that breathes, regardless of species or gender, and speak in derogatory terms of any theistic or deistic belief system all the while using as much foul language as possible in dialogue. Those stories get boring after the third or fourth one.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

What the fans did was react negatively to a group that gamed the nomination process.

The semi-psychotic manchildren didn't react well to finding they were a despised minority at the final vote.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I called Vox Day "particularly nasty". I believe that one stands on its own.
    Ah, my apologies. I misread.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Man y'all really look at Vox Day with a laser focus, don't you? I constantly see the few of you bringing him up, as if he's like a messianic figure that is revered by everyone who doesn't agree with you.
    Rabid Puppies is his effort. This is a thread about the Puppies and the Hugos. He's entirely relevant to this.

sjw shitters getting banned left and right

thank you based scrapbot

Quote Originally Posted by Escariot View Post
    sjw shitters getting banned left and right

thank you based scrapbot
    Shocking, when you constantly see them belittle and spout infantile insults at people who even slightly challenge their world view.

Deleted
    Raep, what you summed up is basicall the invasion in "literature" in general. You see that trend not just in sci-fi but also in fantasy and all kind of other genres. It's the same drivel slightly altered to fit the setting, preaching the same values, ideas and ethics as they do in all the other settings.

They've been busy crying down any and all fandoms in those medias they've overrun, destroying most of them in the progress. Often times not because they're particularly interested either but because they're interested in spreading their opinions by any means necessary. The lenghts they at times go to is quite impressive tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Weren't the Puppies the SJWs? They were the ones who wanted more diversity amongst authors.
    Depends on which puppies. Torgersen's SP3 included communists, liberals, and apolitical writers (along with conservatives and libertarians) in an attempt to depoliticize the Hugos. Of note, Scalzi commented that many of those nominees were not puppies themselves. Voxday's RP copied that slate and completed it with writers from his wing.

Deleted
    I've noticed that this whole "social justice" -thing seems to be anything but social, and as far from justified as you can get. Warriors, though, a lot of those around. There used to be this term, "IRC warrior", back in the day. I guess it applies, only, it's forum warrior and social media warrior these days.

Deleted
    Basically a MRA voting bloc specifically nominated a set of white male authors because they thought that white males are becoming underrepresented.

This then caused a large counter protest of bloc no votes post-nomination to protest against what they felt was a rigged nomination.

Both sides are morons, why are you trying to fight a pointless ideological battle over pop culture awards?

Imo major cultural awards should be nominated by and voted on by a small panel of experts, not by random internet mobs.
    Last edited by mmocccd4d485ac; 2015-08-23 at 07:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    What the fans did was react negatively to a group that gamed the nomination process.

The semi-psychotic manchildren didn't react well to finding they were a despised minority at the final vote.
    All it proves is that the huge awards are indeed biased.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    Basically a MRA voting bloc specifically nominated a set of white male authors because they thought that white males are becoming underrepresented.

This then caused a large counter protest of bloc no votes post-nomination to protest against what they felt was a rigged nomination.

Both sides are morons, why are you trying to fight a pointless ideological battle over pop culture awards?
    I really wonder how people come up with this shit, its comedy gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? The winners of the Hugo Awards have been whiter than the third reich for years, so I would be highly dubious of any claims of it being a race thing, or even a gender thing.
    The purpose was to combat a perceived bigotry in the voting, slanted against conservatives based on their political views, rather than the merit of their work.
    But warriors....

Deleted
    Mikes, actually looking at one of the authors linked on that BRP thing, she's kinda everything summed up what's wrong with this "new way". It's basically the typical very special snowflake changeling story, retold several times. It's really very much a story that could work in almost every setting, the kind of thing that's being thrown on the market a dime a dozen right now and flooding a lot of genres not just sci-fi and fantasy.

I can understand why some people are annoyed or irritated by it, having to spend hours looking through some book website in certain sections to find a single book that isn't another cookie cutter copy of that type of book is very much annoying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    All it proves is that the huge awards are indeed biased.

- - - Updated - - -

I really wonder how people come up with this shit, its comedy gold.

The Puppies say they are reacting to the transformation of the Hugos into what one called an “affirmative action award”. The Puppies organized themselves to vote as a bloc in the nominating process in order to put more white, male candidates on the ballot. As the voting turnout for the nomination process is typically low, the strategy worked.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...ng-controversy

I'm going on a quick media run through here. Maybe MRA is the wrong term but basically what it comes down to is one Internet mob rigs nominations to further there cause, then another Internet mob rigs the actual votes to counter protest.

It's pure moronicness on both sides . Internet mobs shouldn't have control of major cultural awards.
    Last edited by mmocccd4d485ac; 2015-08-23 at 07:52 PM.