Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    That reminds me of that, "I tasted diarrhea so shit is fine." quote.
    And that reminds me of "Opinions are like assholes... everybody has one." We get it: you're unhappy with the game. You've also said you think you're burned out on MMOs in general right now, and also admitted that it was probably your own fault because you played too much. So, why do you keep telling us you're unhappy with the game? It's not like any of us have the power to automagically make it into something you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, they're right that in terms of support systems (website, account management, trial upgrade, etc) they do have some fairly glaring issues. They don't take away from the game, of course, but they're there.
    Mogstation is your first raid boss.

The fact remains, however, that a 'grind' is effectively a necessity in an MMO. The developers can't produce content at a rate to match consumer consumption - thus some stuff needs to be staggered for the sake of ensuring that there's always something to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grinding is annoying but it's necessary in an MMORPG. If there were no type of gating whatsoever content would be cleared quickly. Unless they make the difficulty massively hard to make sure folks don't clear it quick but that doesn't work. In my experience the grind that is obfuscated the most is the better designed one.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

This is basically why FFXIV falls short of being a growing MMO at this point. It's on the downward slope even with HW. You will see a lot of niche players who will stay loyal and state that this is just a bumb in the road but it's been going on for awhile now. More people are just noticing it recently with HW.

But nothing is an actual grind in this game outside of the Relic weapon which again like I said is something you really don't have to do as there are alternatives. The beast tribes? Takes like what, 15 minutes of your time a day? That's not a grind and you don't even have to do it as it's vanity stuff. I haven't. The gear to get into raids at level 60 takes a day to get. There's even several different ways to acquire the tomes. What more do you want? What other options do you want to get gear to get into raids? You have crafting, dungeons, world events and pvp. All viable to get into normal raids.

What do you have in WoW? Farming Tanaan Jungle for apexis and relying on luck to get the proper stats for your class? eh, or mythic dungeons which you need to gear up for first because of peoples insanely high requirements. You cant craft a full set because of the three item rule that they created.

Though I say all this but I should asked this question first. What do you yourself consider a grind in this game? Because I just don't see it outside of the ones I mentioned.

edit; I should mention that I'm sorta biased in this topic a bit. I actually do enjoy a good grind as I've been playing MMOs for a long time now so something like doing a dungeon for a whole day to get geared is actually very quick.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2015-08-24 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huoyue View Post
    I was just saying that your comparison was inherently negative and unfair. You can't compare WoW patches to FFXIV patches that easily. For instance, the newest WoW patch added more raiding content than FFXIV did in all of ARR and a whole new zone. One game does many small patches, the other does fewer large patches. Comparing patch to patch is as silly as saying adding a FFXIV class is comparable to adding a WoW class, which is something that happens often but is a wholly unfair comparison.
    This is just proof that you created this thread just to dump on ffxiv while comparing it to wow which you want to present in a positive way. It's a ffxiv bashing/wow fanboy thread and this thread should be closed and you should suffer some other consequences in my humble opinion for making a mmo bashing thread.

"Hey, don't bash wow with facts, you can only speak about wow if you state facts in a way that makes wow look better. If you state facts that sound negative -to me- then I will say you are bashing wow." This whole thread is exactly why we have rules that state you can't make threads that bash one game over another.

I like both games and hold both games in equal regard, I'm not some ffxiv or wow fanboy, both have flaws and distinct strengths and it is obvious what the intent of your thread is and it should be closed by a moderator. If you can only manage to make threads to bash one game over another you should consider staying off that games threads and controlling yourself.

I am confused how people are "out" of content already. 3 new jobs to level and gear. The rest of the jobs all have at least 10 new levels and a few quests to do. There is the current raids which only a handful of people have even gotten anywhere in... not to mention ALL the stuff they had before that you can still do.

If you run out of stuff to do the only reason I can see for it is that you don't like the game or you play way to much.

Deleted
    Some people never played Lineage 2 or Aion, there was grind, not "grinding" quests, dungeons or raids, but you had to go in the field and kill 1000 mobs to level up

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    Some people never played Lineage 2 or Aion, there was grind, not "grinding" quests, dungeons or raids, but you had to go in the field and kill 1000 mobs to level up
    Fuck the Lineage 2 class quests. Ragnarok Online was pretty much the same too. Farm a bunch of mobs to level up and then farm the same mob for a card that has a 0.01% chance to drop for each item slot and there was I believe...10 or so. Some items even had several slots so good luck with that.

A lot of heated replies in regards to OP's post about HW.
    The Original Post was well written in my opinion, and seem to display some really good points on the ramp of HW, and should be kept in mind that it is an opinion. Let's tend our fires dear sirs!
    In my opinion I do feel that HW is doing just fine, but I do see a drought in content towards the end. I would think Square has an idea of that too and is probably planning on resolving it with upcoming patches, etc. Well written post OP. <3

I don't understand this at all. Where's the rigid grind in this game that is non optional? Walking to your questing destination is not a grind, especially when you can teleport to a nearby destination. I'm not trying to be an ass but I'm really curious were people get this assumption that FFXIV is in some way a massive grind fest... WoW in its current form is easily a massive grind/chore fest when compared to FFXIV which has mild grinds here and there. You can gear up for raids in a single day in FFXIV compared to grinding Tanaan Jungle for days for the baleful gear or Mythics which have a weekly lockout. The game also has several choices in how you gear up for raids too which is very nice.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2015-08-25 at 10:13 AM.

One thing to remember is that, coming in at the end means that there has been a ton of content patches.

Also, FFXIV has super frequent content patches, compared to other modern MMOs, so the model is less "new WoW" content dump and then languish for a year and more " lot sof small content patches with new shit to do".

I'm in HW and yea, there is a significant lack of things to do.

Its the usual eso cap, maybe Law for alts, alex runs. I dont even want to touch scrips, but i have a lot of classes to level so thats still keeping me occupied.

Im also trying to get my weaver/leatherworker up to 30 to make those glamour prisms to earn some money.

There's little stuff here and there for me to do, i know my FC mates are also doing little things here and there, its enough to keep us occupied.

that said, i did join ARR in mid may, there was a crap ton of stuff to do, so when i compared that to HW, it does seem like its lacking content but i understand that ARR had... 18mths was it? to build the content and stuff, patch 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 etc etc whereas HW is not even at 3.1 yet.

the thing about FFXIV now though, is that my friends are here too, so sometimes we login just to talk smack and whine about the grind.

cant wait for 3.1 though! chocobo racing sounds fun, 24man raid is always good, anything added to the dr extreme rotation is always good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    I'm really curious were people get this assumption that FFXIV is in some way a massive grind fest...
    Because all MMOs are just that as soon as you get into the "do stuff repeatedly to gear up" phase.

Why hasn't this thread been locked yet? I've seen the mods close 3-4 game bashing threads in the last few days but this one is allowed to stay?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ible View Post
    You need to grind surface to reach the same destination over and over again. Teleport so you have to compensate grinding GIL? Naturally you grind the surface to save that GIL.
    Teleport costs are only restrictive when you are low level.
    I haven't given them costs a second thought since I was 40+.

It's intentional design. They want you to explore the world as lowbie instead of presenting a disjointed series of loading screens.

I too think that leveling another class that may be undesirable (Barf Huntard!) to 34 for X class skills is lame design though.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I too think that leveling another class that may be undesirable (Barf Huntard!) to 34 for X class skills is lame design though.
    Sounds like they're complaining about having to get a class to 15 for their main job, rather than 34 for the cross-class skill. Not wanting to get a class to 34 I get, but 15? That's like 2 hours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Why hasn't this thread been locked yet? I've seen the mods close 3-4 game bashing threads in the last few days but this one is allowed to stay?
    It's not bashing WoW that's why

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Sounds like they're complaining about having to get a class to 15 for their main job, rather than 34 for the cross-class skill. Not wanting to get a class to 34 I get, but 15? That's like 2 hours.
    Yeah... it doesn't take long if you know how to do it.
    But that's beside the point. Players choose a class for a reason. having to play something completely different in order to move on is awkward at least.