Page 1 of 3
LastLast

WW/MW New Mastery Ideas?

With Legion's plan to focus more on class identity I feel this would be the perfect time to rework the mastery for windwalkers and mistweavers to actually make it something we want. So I'm curious what all of you think it could be whether it's simply a return to one of our older masteries or a brand new one I want to hear what people think would actually make the stat desired

Probably more aoe heals for MW. Can't comment on WW tho.

On another hand, our MW mastery could also be a % chance to give chi on soothing. Pretty lame though.
    No white-washing plz

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Move WW Mastery back to increasing % of TEB, and give us another RoRO trinket while letting us keep SDI. :-D
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    Move WW Mastery back to increasing % of TEB, and give us another RoRO trinket while letting us keep SDI. :-D
    Actually speaking of sdi I'd be interested in that becoming our new mastery not sure how that would work out in practice and tbh feel it's way to passive to be a mastery but it'd be interesting to see if sdi was a way for us to get used to how it works or maybe the 4pc bonus is a sign that we're getting our combo breaker mastery back can't wait till we get patch notes about this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Xerroth View Post
    Actually speaking of sdi I'd be interested in that becoming our new mastery not sure how that would work out in practice and tbh feel it's way to passive to be a mastery but it'd be interesting to see if sdi was a way for us to get used to how it works or maybe the 4pc bonus is a sign that we're getting our combo breaker mastery back can't wait till we get patch notes about this stuff
    What's actually kind of sad is that while in an ideal world masteries would change gameplay as you get more of it (as should every stat except Versatility and Agility really), almost every DPS mastery in existence is just a tacked on passive damage bonus of one flavor or another. While the SDI effect might be entirely passive and change nothing, that's actually what most DPS masteries are.

The reason why fun and interesting masteries don't really exist is because when they do, they're either grossly overpowered (5.2 mastery that increased TEB damage amount) or borderline worthless (see: current MW and WW masteries). Most are passive damage/healing boosts in one way or another because Blizzard has virtually no idea how to make ones that aren't that still scale with a stat in a way that makes sense.

7+ Year Old Account
    Actually, I like the concept behind the WW mastery: increase TEB uptime. IMHO the problem lies more within scaling (how much we benefit from each point of mastery as opposed to other stats) and also a little with how TEB works to begin with. I don't think they can just up the numbers of our mastery right now because you would hit 100% too quickly then. Not sure if "double procs" would be a good solution. So maybe they could add some damage bonus to Tiger Palm/Blackout Kick/Chi Explosion when used with Combo Breaker to our mastery? Then we'd have an effect that slightly changes gameplay (TEB generation/uptime) and a more or less passive damage bonus. The later could be tuned in such a way as to make Mastery a competetive stat.

As for TEB itself (as it ties in with our mastery): I wish they changed it to behave more like Chi Brew: have 2 charges with a semi-longish cooldown, each charge grants 15sec of 60% increased damage and full chi. Spending chi then doesn't generate stacks but rather reduces the cooldown of the next charge. Would help a lot with initial burst in raids without being 'forced' into using Chi Brew + Serenity in an environment where pre-pots, ring and sometimes Bloodlust are stacked right after the pull. And it would also remove the awkwardness of having to Expel Harm for at least 30sec before pull to start the fight with at least 4 chi.

I've always hated the MW mastery with a passion, ever since I started playing my monk in 5.0 (MW was my main spec until a few weeks after 5.2 went live). Any kind of stupid healing/resource spheres that spawn around people do not fit into the game IMHO. But unfortunately I do not have any good ideas on what to do with MW right now. Haven't played it as my main spec for too long.
    "We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick. This is my brick." - Tim Cook, CEO of Apple

Armory: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman
    WoWProgress: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree to @Totaltotemic . He is right at stats.
    The stats have already caused "deterministic chaos" which is hard to balance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

For exapmle, versatility and ms are new stats in WOD. To prevent too much maximum Crit+MS(3.2 times) damage/healing in PVP, they nerfed these states effect in PVP. Now, crit and ms are really terrible in PVP.
    Same things happen in spirit.
    They could make a new mastery for WW/MW. However, who knows whether the new mastery have the same problems just as TEB or GotS?
    Last edited by cqwrteur; 2015-08-25 at 09:59 AM.

Deleted
    To be honest, I'd be surprised if mastery wasn't either getting a widespread redesign or heading for the garbage cans. Originally it was meant to make your spec even better at what it was good at, now as totemic and others have said it's pretty much x% increased healing/damage. Personally I feel the class dev team can do better and we might see a mass rework of mastery and what it is.

7+ Year Old Account
    I doubt Mastery is heading for the garbage cans. More redesigns? Probably. Especially while they're already redesigning a spec anyway (Survival Hunter or Demonology Warlock in Legion). Too many masteries might be passive bonuses but they're usually associated with interesting fantasies, e.g., the Elemental Shaman one which is even has a strong visual respresentation in the game world. From a mathematical model point of view they might be boring passives but they have the potential to at least feel interesting.

If they want to get rid of any stats (is there even any indication for that? I don't think so) I guess it's Multistrike (a.k.a. small Crits; might as well get rid of Crit instead but Crit'll probably stay due to it's longer history and appearance in so many RPGs) or even more likely Versatility, because it's just plain boring and has to scale poorly due to it's design (damage/heal increase combined with damage reduction).
    "We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick. This is my brick." - Tim Cook, CEO of Apple

Armory: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman
    WoWProgress: Monk, Druid, Death Knight, Shaman

mastery in it self was a cool idea, a unique stat that does something special, but it's execution was pretty mediocre, a passive increase <insert something spec related>, I would love mastery to be a vital part of the core gameplay of each class/spec, but that would mean any other items without mastery on them would be borderline useless, and I really wouldn't want to go back to the model of "lets all stack armor penetration and do sick deepz"

I cant speak about WW, as I've only dabbled with the spec a little, but from a MW perspective, I want more chi spenders, in MoP I had the problem of swimming in Chi, that you could only spend on 2 things, so what blizz did in WoD was reduce the Chi generation potential... kinda reminds me of the old Warrior Rage problem, where they tried to smoothed out it's flow, we all know how that ended up.

As it is now, MW mastery does almost nothing for us. The big weakness of the spec is ST healing, so I would think a strong ST inclined bonus would be a nice way to make the stat viable.

Maybe something like "x% chance to for surging mists to generate an extra chi"

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Mastery should reduce roll cooldown, I want more rolls!

Pretty sure most mistweavers want extend life to become our new mastery and the orbs to be a passive now.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    Pretty sure most mistweavers want extend life to become our new mastery and the orbs to be a passive now.
    The orbs can disappear for all I care. They're just Lightwell 2.0. No one ever purposefully uses them, and by the time they make it so automated that it just heals everyone regardless then it might as well just be rolled into the rest of healing.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    I second that, Extended life is great mechanic.

I was thinking about this earlier, for Windwalker. Maybe something like it adds x% extra damage as "wind" or nature damage to either all of our attacks, or only basic attacks or only chi consuming abilities or something. Can't comment on MW though.
    Quote Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
    Obviously Garrosh would win, it's like a gorilla vs a human... do you know how strong a gorilla is? He'll snap your dick off and throw it in the tall grass. Garrosh = dick-snapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Sure. When I wake up in the middle of the night with a full tank, I just flip back the curtain and let it flow.

15+ Year Old Account
    We'll get a new mastery that'll be axed the patch after due to a OP trinket :/

Quote Originally Posted by Totaltotemic View Post
    The orbs can disappear for all I care. They're just Lightwell 2.0. No one ever purposefully uses them, and by the time they make it so automated that it just heals everyone regardless then it might as well just be rolled into the rest of healing.
    Pretty sure the orbs come from Diablo, somebody said "let's give them the Diablo healing orbs, but green, they will love it".
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

I haven't been able to get this elusive SDI yet... Archimonde will probably drop a bag of seals this week. But even without it, I feel TEB is becoming too abundant. I didn't sign up for no Inquisition. I'd prefer to have reason to bank TEB for when it will hurt the most, which is hopefully due to boss mechanics, but for procs are okay.

I'm pretty satisfied with WW mastery, personally. It's out of sight, out of mind. And somewhat fun to rip on. But if we had to change mastery, I'd suggest; make Tiger Strikes our mastery, probably increase the amount of bonus MS it gives per mastery rather than the proc rate or duration, or maybe increased bonus MS and proc rate per mastery.

Considering blizz theyll think of something thats easy to tune so its not op.

Ww: increases the damage done by abilities that uses chi. Let TEB be a 1min burst cd.

Mw: flat 30% chance for orbs to spawn master increases the amount the orbs heals.