Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire LegendaryDude's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Lifting and Protein intake: Problems and confusion

So, i bought myself a barbell and some weights at the start of the month, and started to work out after i had found a workout and nutrition plan that fits my needs. I've allready seen a bit of progress, my back doesn't hurt as much as it does before, which makes me quite happy. What i'm having a bit of a problem with is how much protein i should eat. The nutrition plan i found suggests, like many other plans i've seen, to eat 1-1.2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.
    They had this little calculator in the site, i put my bodyweight in (currently 100 kilogram), and it tells me to eat 216 gram of protein a day. And i simply have no clue how i am supposed to eat this much protein. Even if i eat an entire pack of chicken (600 gram) a day, i only end up with 138 grams, when adding the protein shake i drink after my workout, i'm at 157. I can neither afford to eat more chicken (chicken is far and wide the most expensive meat around here, and don't even get me started on salmon), nor can i afford to gulp down 4 protein shakes a day. Is that the deciding factor in the end? Does one really need to simply spend a shit ton of money on chicken and protein shakes, or are there some protein packed foods i am simply overlooking? Because otherwise i have no clue how to hit these 216 gram per day.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are lots of resources to get your protein from, I can give you a couple of them which aren't too expensive.
    - Salmon is expensive, so go for a cheaper option: Canned tuna - about 25 grams of protein per can.
    - Cottage cheese and/or Greek yoghurt - also a nice protein source.
    - Milk
    - My personal favourite: Peanut butter! Look for the % of peanuts in it - aim for at least 85-90%
    - Unsalted nuts - most of them are packed with protein. Almonds in general are really healthy + lots of protein.
    - Eggs - lots of protein and eggs aren't really expensive (usually).
    Other than that, you can always look on internet or magazines for recipes with lots of protein, or get creative yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Austrel View Post
    There are lots of resources to get your protein from, I can give you a couple of them which aren't too expensive.
    - Salmon is expensive, so go for a cheaper option: Canned tuna - about 25 grams of protein per can.
    - Cottage cheese and/or Greek yoghurt - also a nice protein source.
    - Milk
    - My personal favourite: Peanut butter! Look for the % of peanuts in it - aim for at least 85-90%
    - Unsalted nuts - most of them are packed with protein. Almonds in general are really healthy + lots of protein.
    - Eggs - lots of protein and eggs aren't really expensive (usually).
    Other than that, you can always look on internet or magazines for recipes with lots of protein, or get creative yourself.
    To further add to this, try Tuna as well. LOTS of protein in Tuna.

7+ Year Old Account
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki1.htm

You should be fine and dandy with 138g at 100kg bodyweight. That, and cheap suggestions by Austrel (and any others) will suit you well

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    To further add to this, try Tuna as well. LOTS of protein in Tuna.
    Canned tuna was his first suggestion? @_@
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki1.htm

You should be fine and dandy with 138g at 100kg bodyweight. That, and cheap suggestions by Austrel (and any others) will suit you well

- - - Updated - - -

Canned tuna was his first suggestion? @_@
    Hot day here, brain is all mush haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the great suggestions guys! really appreciate it. Tuna was a thing that crossed my mind, but i thought i had read somewhere that fish in general, but tuna in specific, contains metals that are unhealthy in large quantities, and thus, shouldn't be consumed too often. But i'm definiteley going to pick up some nuts, tuna and cottage cheese when i go shopping the next time

Deleted
    Make yourself some banana protein pancakes for breakfast as well
    Could get in nearly 50-80 grams of proteins in through that. Youtube Chris Jones he has a great tutorila about making them. A lot easier if you have a blender though.

Edit:
    I'm around 98 to 100 kg myself and I'm getting just around 160-200g of protein a day. Which I find to be just fine, it's hard to actually get in above those 200 on a regular day for me. But as long as you eat and train hard you will be fine.
    Last edited by mmocbb027a6c7e; 2015-08-25 at 10:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Banana protein pancakes sound fucking delicious! i'll look into that

Quote Originally Posted by Flammen View Post
    Make yourself some banana protein pancakes for breakfast as well
    Could get in nearly 50-80 grams of proteins in through that. Youtube Chris Jones he has a great tutorila about making them. A lot easier if you have a blender though.

Edit:
    I'm around 98 to 100 kg myself and I'm getting just around 160-200g of protein a day. Which I find to be just fine, it's hard to actually get in above those 200 on a regular day for me. But as long as you eat and train hard you will be fine.
    oh lawd please don't follow anything Chris Jones says. I don't know about you, but I don't get my scientific information from someone that can't speak proper English.

Start following people like Layne Norton, Stuart Phillips, Eric Helms, Brad Schoenfeld that actually have scientific backgrounds and know wtf they are talking about.

As for protein, 1.8g/kg or ~.8g/lb is plenty enough for a resistance trained athlete.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelion View Post
    oh lawd please don't follow anything Chris Jones says. I don't know about you, but I don't get my scientific information from someone that can't speak proper English.

Start following people like Layne Norton, Stuart Phillips, Eric Helms, Brad Schoenfeld that actually have scientific backgrounds and know wtf they are talking about.

As for protein, 1.8g/kg or ~.8g/lb is plenty enough for a resistance trained athlete.
    Who said I was telling him to follow anything Chris Jones said apart from him having a guide on how to make the most basic pancakes. Read the actual post again.

Deleted
    just LOADS of nuts :P

eat some jerky..quick snack pack with proteins

Maybe ask this question somewhere other than the subforum of a video game site. Regurgitating second hand health & fitness information has been en vogue among gamers for a couple of years now, not to mention how it assuages the ego & insecurity.

If you refuse to ask someone in person (where at the very least you can verify they are in any way living up to your hopes or expectations), just use google. A site that even pretends to be associated with a dietitian will serve you better.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GG you got me View Post
    Maybe ask this question somewhere other than the subforum of a video game site. Regurgitating second hand health & fitness information has been en vogue among gamers for a couple of years now, not to mention how it assuages the ego & insecurity.

If you refuse to ask someone in person (where at the very least you can verify they are in any way living up to your hopes or expectations), just use google. A site that even pretends to be associated with a dietitian will serve you better.
    Don't be such an insecure little dick. Plenty of people out there have MMO-C accounts and post on these forums and...unbelievably...have other hobbies and knowlwedge bases as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GG you got me View Post

Close-minded much? By the way OP, bodybuilding.com has awesome information and tips about dieting/food intake.

Quote Originally Posted by deeyar View Post
    Shouldnt need that much protein unless ur cutting and getting high protein to maintain ur muscle mass. If you're bulking you can just eat a lot of carbs and moderate protein. But if you want to know how to get 180g~ of protein per day (which is more realistic than 216g, that's too much) then make a shake like this:

-greek yogurt
    -protein powder
    -peanut butter
    -fruits
    -spinach
    -water/ice

I make this and it has about 90g~ of protein. Take it post workout. Takes care of like half my protein needs for the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Chris Jones gives good nutrition advice, although I'm not a fan of his training advice. He's a cool guy idk why you seem so butthurt that he writes "shyt" instead of "shit" like seriously who cares lol. Plus Layne Norton is a fucking idiot look at Vegan Gain's video on him, he destroys him. You don't need to have a PhD to figure out how to eat as a bodybuilder
    LOL vegan gains? srsly? You are a bigger idiot than I realized. He is a self admitted psychopath that filmed his grandfather dying for self promotion. You are one smart cookie.

Vegan Gains is fucked up in the head but he gives good arguments in his videos, unlike you who just called me an idiot for no reason. Look at his video against Layne Norton and try to refute his points. Lol I don't even like the guy personally but I can respect his arguments on a scientific level
    Yes Layne Norton is an "idiot" with a PhD in nutritional science. You are literally retarded.

Do you even read the research vegan stains posts. They literally do not reflect the points he tries to make. Are you really this naive?

And you were called an idiot for obvious reasons, not no reason.

I'm glad you like to get your "scientific" arguments from a kid that lives in his mom's basement and pretends to rape himself in the ass.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2015-08-31 at 03:58 PM.

First things first, plug ALL of your food into a nutrition calculator and see how much protein you normally eat. Most foods have at least some protein, and that adds up. Your chicken number seemed low, but I guess it will vary depending on whether you are eating just chicken breasts (like a true bro) or the whole bird. As a beginner, I wouldn't worry too much about protein, most of the numbers thrown around err on the high side, and its almost never as important a factor as the Internet would have you believe.

Have you seen vegan gains video instead of just throwing insults? Layne Norton's research was funded by the fucking egg industry, and he says a bunch of nonsense in a lot of his videos. Of course hes not a flat out idiot but you should be actually thinking about what someone says and think for yourself instead of just mindlessly agreeing because he has a PhD. Also Layne Norton is obviously on steroids (I don't care btw) so you should be careful about his nutrition/lifting advice since those two things are different in natural/enhanced athletes. Training as a natural is different than training as a steroid user.

You call me naive but you're the one who believes anything Layne Norton says just because he has a PhD. Lol

FYI I also don't like vegan gains as a person but he has good arguments you can't deny that, cognitive dissonance on a daily for you brah
    First of all how do you think that kind of research gets done? Someone has to pay for it. Do you think anyone else is going to fund it? Dismissing a study based alone on funding is straight moronic.

Who do you think funds a lot of the research that this tool vegan posts? Who do you thinks conducts the studies that he always cites? O ya wait, a vegan.

Stains also keeps referring back to the saturated fat and heart disease connection which has been debunked. He likes to use studies from the early 1900s. He needs to get with the times.

What nonsense does Layne in a lot of his videos? Curious.

I don't think he is right on everything just because he has a PhD and never implied I followed all his advice like a mindless sheep. But I sure as hell value his opinion and research over someone that has no education in the matter.

And the steriods thing...lol. Typical of someone who is jealous and because they don't have genetics and work ethic. The dude has been lifting 15+ years and hasn't had a point in his career where he strength shot up like someone on steriods.

If you didn't know... he competes in IPF. They do random offseason drug testing and prior to competition. They literally sit there and watch you pee in a cup.

Your argument is invalid.
    Last edited by Zelion; 2015-08-31 at 04:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Protein isn't my main issue, it is the protein fat carb % ratio is.

I have been given by my PT to aim for 40% protein, 35% fat and 25% carb.

The protein isn't too much of an issue, it is the fat. Main protein source I generally have, nut, egg, fish, those while high in protein is also high in fat (at least MyFitnessPal said so), yesterday my food intake ratio was like 37% protein, 52% fat and 11% carb.

I need some food source that is high in protein with as little fat as possible.

Eg. 3 egg scramble egg and 2 slices of smoke salmon, comes to:

Protein: 18.1 (egg) 9.8 (salmon)
    Fat: 16.5 (egg) 3.4 (salmon)
    Carb: 1.2 (egg) 1 (salmon)
    Last edited by Grym; 2015-08-31 at 04:20 PM.